The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

No Lights

I bought a 87 GMC (also know as Got Mine Cheap!! ) Someone stuck a 283 out of a 65 Impala in it. They blew the 700R4 out of it. So I got a truck with no trans and no headlights. I got head lights for it to day. I took the 283 out and put it on the floor...there is no accessory holes in the heads. The P/S and alt was rigged up to work. So the problem I have ran into...I hooked up my battery charger to the frame and to the starter wires (they are still hooked up the the starter laying on the frame) I have turn signals and brake lights...but no head lights, Marker lights, tail lights or inside lights. The motor started up while it was in the truck. The dash lights (seatbelt and warning lights worked) but no dash lights. I hooked the hot side of the battery charger to the head lights and they came on...so did the dash lights, markers and tail lights.

Any Ideas?

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
89 crew

Re: No Lights

The power to the headlights comes in to the headlight switch. Check the switch for power. if you have power there. next check going into the dimmer switch. If you have power coming into the headlight switch and none going out to the dimmer switch replace the headlight switch. If there is no power coming into the headlight switch, you need to replace the headlight relay. The only other possibility would be cut wires. does the parking lights work?
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 crew View Post
The power to the headlights comes in to the headlight switch. Check the switch for power. if you have power there. next check going into the dimmer switch. If you have power coming into the headlight switch and none going out to the dimmer switch replace the headlight switch. If there is no power coming into the headlight switch, you need to replace the headlight relay. The only other possibility would be cut wires. does the parking lights work?
No parking lights. I know its something simple I am missing.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
89 crew

I would say you have lost the power coming into the headlight switch. Start checking at the switch and back track till you find it.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 crew View Post
I would say you have lost the power coming into the headlight switch. Start checking at the switch and back track till you find it.
I am going out to work on it today sometime. Hopefully I can. I got a 350 short tail for it today.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
caminokid
Chevy nut

Yes it was something stupid. The alternator wire needed to be hot too. So I hooked it up and everything works now. Thanks.