The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

A Few New Pics and a Question

We here in the midwest have been spoiled lately. The last few days were in the low 70's, but alas, we have a chance for snow tomorrow. No wonder everyone I know is sick.....

Anyway, I finally wrapped up my misc. truck projects which started in November. A 10 month old happily kept me from doing anything on the truck for more than an hour!

So the truck rolled into the garage in November, the battery was taken out, then I hadn't made an attempt to start it since then. Oh, I didn't put Stabil in it either. Okay, I know that was a stupid move, but my garage stays above 60 in the winter so I thought I was okay.

So back to the story. I rolled it out into the drive today and attempted to start it. Cranked, but no fire. Getting spark, affirmative. Getting air, affirmative. Getting fuel, uh oh. I have an inline filter about 10" downline of the carb. Removed it. Carb side was clean, as to be expected. Tank/pump side was disgusting. Rusty gas. Not good. Cleaned out the filter, but even blowing through it was hard. I cleaned everything up and reassemble. Cranked again to no avail. Took the filter off again and it looked the same as the first time, rusty on the tank/pump side. (Carb was fairly dry through this entire process.)

Soooooo looks like I have some bad gas and it's rusty. Looks like I'm going to have to siphon the remaining gas out of the tank.

Here's the question: What would be an easy way to clean the line fuel line from the tank to the pump?? Can the pump be adversely affected by rusty gas? Finally, could I siphon most of the fuel out, remove the fuel line ahead of the pump, put in some fuel line cleaner, and use a LITTLE compressed air to force the gunk through the line. I know compressed air into a tank is a no no, but a little while venting can be done safely, right??

Thanks for any input gang....... Now for some pics I took today........

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 03-04-2008 at 06:12 AM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
class01

Re: A Few New Pics and a Question

cant answer your question but you have a very nice truck. Is that the original grill?
class01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
mfarmer

I like the color
mfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
slammed1
1972 Chevrolet SWB

Hope you can get your fuel issue resolved. You may have to remove a few fuel line sections at as time to clear them out starting at the fuel pump and under the cab to where they enter the floor.

On a different note,I really dig your truck and its present state. its funny to see such shiny paint with the age of the paint also. The wheel selection will look awesome with the smooth type corvette "disc brake" center caps and a small beauty trim ring. I love the color,stance,style and everything.

Good Luck with your project.

1972 Chevrolet 1/2 ton short wide bed,68 frt clip Project.
1980 Camaro Inherited when father passed,68K Miles
2003 Ford Mach1 FUN as Hell!!
2002 Dodge Ram 5-8 slam Rolling BillBoard (Gone not forgot)
2004 Dodge Ram HEMI 10" lifted on 37's and 2wd.
slammed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

Hey Doug. Rusty tank blues? My suggestion is to take the fuel line loose at the tank and at the fuel pump and blow compressed air through it, then remove the tank, pour out the old gas then take steps to clean the tank out and treat it. The strainer on the pickup tube may be clogged or gone completely. You can drop in a length of chain then shake the tank all around to dislodge any rust, then flush it good and use one of those gas tank treatments that coats the inside. I believe Eastwood and others sell it through the parts stores. I don't think Stabil will prevent the rust buildup will it?
Man that drop did wonders for your truck didn't it?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

The truck looks good Doug.... sorry to hear you weren't able to get it out on the road this weekend. Sorry I'm no help with the fuel issue.

ttt for Doug's answer.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

The only way to fix it is to bring it to my house. I'll call you when it's fixed. May take 20 years or so. Seriously,... could you borrow an electric fuel pump from some one? You need to cycle some clean fuel thru there. I installed a fuel filter in front of the fuel pump so I could run the stock one piece line up to the carb,... on my blazer. Your tank may need to be replaced. It could continue to fill the filter up. Still love your truck! Good luck. I also had the blazer out today for a spin. I was NICE outside!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by class01 View Post
cant answer your question but you have a very nice truck. Is that the original grill?
not original. the original was hit a wrinkled a bit on the driver's side. BUT I sold it to another board member whose going to straighten it out and paint it.

I bought the one that's on the truck from another board member. I believe the only way to get the "CHEVROLET" inscription on them now is to drop $700. ouch. I got this one for considerably less because it's a repop. Thanks Blazerman!!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

I'd say you're on the right track. drain the tank,remove the sending unit (and check/replace the "sock" on the fuel pick-up) look in there and determine the extent of the rust.If it's real bad you may need a tank,or if not too severe they have ways to recondition/coat the inside.
Then like you said,remove the line and blow it out. I'd replace the rubber connecter to the carb and anywhere else (on mine,there are three tanks and lots of rubber and plastic hoses going around).Make sure that the little filter that's part of the Q-jet (if equipped) has been changed.Put a new,high capacity (large case) filter before the carb,don't just blow out the old one.(Come On! Don't be cheap like me!).
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Doug, your truck looks great!! It looks like youve done everything the right way so far...and I'm sure you know the right way is usually not the easy way!! That tank needs to come out, I think your biggest issues are inside that tank rather than in your fuel lines.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
72armyswbtruck

Truck looks great, sorry for your fuel troubles. PITA
As for fuel advice, just follow what others have said.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #12
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

had a bit of time this morning before work to fit a new filter on. Bingo. she's alive.

But, I believe I'll keep a few filters in the glove box and start contimplating a new tank and fuel line sometime....

thanks for all the input!!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
had a bit of time this morning before work to fit a new filter on. Bingo. she's alive.

But, I believe I'll keep a few filters in the glove box and start contimplating a new tank and fuel line sometime....

thanks for all the input!!
I'm glad you got it going.
What I do when starting a car or truck that has been sitting a couple of months is pull the coil wire and crank the engine with the battery until the oil pressure light goes out or gauge registers pressure. Then I pour a touch of gas down the carb, FULLY REINSTALL THE AIR CLEANER, reattach the coil wire, then fire it up.

In the winter or after long periods of storage your carb and lines go dry. A fuel pump pumping off the battery never seems to get fuel pressure up with all the air in the lines. When the engine fires from the gas you poured in the carb it spins the pump a heck of a lot faster than the starter.

Think of it as priming the pump.

Oh and next time don't forget to treat your gas before storage. I go WAY out of my way to make sure ethanol stays out of cars that sits. Then I treat the ethanol free gas I do store in the tank.

Remember up here in the north country most pumps that aren't marked ethanol free are about 10-15% ethanol which if left untreated is enough to wreak havoc on your fuel system.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #14
greasy68

This might be a good time for an under bed fuel cell.
front discs, leaf spring rear
tilt steering wheel, stock ride height, rally wheels,
2007 Dodge Charger(Hemi)
greasy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:30 AM   #15
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Sure is a good looking stepside!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I'm glad you got it going.
What I do when starting a car or truck that has been sitting a couple of months is pull the coil wire and crank the engine with the battery until the oil pressure light goes out or gauge registers pressure. Then I pour a touch of gas down the carb, FULLY REINSTALL THE AIR CLEANER, reattach the coil wire, then fire it up.

In the winter or after long periods of storage your carb and lines go dry. A fuel pump pumping off the battery never seems to get fuel pressure up with all the air in the lines. When the engine fires from the gas you poured in the carb it spins the pump a heck of a lot faster than the starter.

Think of it as priming the pump.

Oh and next time don't forget to treat your gas before storage. I go WAY out of my way to make sure ethanol stays out of cars that sits. Then I treat the ethanol free gas I do store in the tank.

Remember up here in the north country most pumps that aren't marked ethanol free are about 10-15% ethanol which if left untreated is enough to wreak havoc on your fuel system.
First of all, that's one good looking truck!

I agree with Mrein3, but I would like to add this; disconnect the coil wire at the distributor and ground it with a jumper. This allows the coil to discharge when cranking the engine over.
I remember reading years ago, it was hard on the coil if it wasn't able to discharge and remained it "saturated" (izzat the term I'm looking for?)

Have a good evening folks.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 AM   #17
scottrod71

The truck is looking great Doug. Maybe you need to put a new gas tank under the bed . Then I can pick your brain on how to get it done on mine as well.........I like the new stance
scottrod71 is offline   Reply With Quote