The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #1
abadsvt

Anyone using a pulsing tig welder?

Hi guys! I was looking at buying a new tig welder and the new welder has pulsing abilities. I was curious if anyone has had personal experience with the pulsing feature. I am a intermedite tig welder and was told that with the pulsing feature it will be alot easier to weld those "stacks of dime" welds and was curious if that was true. I am thinking about the Miller Dynasty 200 DX. Does anyone have any pics of a standard tig weld and a pulsed tig weld? Thanks alot

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
grady5

Re: Anyone using a pulsing tig welder?

i have never used one with automatic pulse but ours has the foot pedal and i can pulse with that and it is easier to make a good looking bead. it might take some getting used to since with the pedal you can control each pulse, but after some practice i think it would be a really nice feature.
grady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
Hi guys! I was looking at buying a new tig welder and the new welder has pulsing abilities. I was curious if anyone has had personal experience with the pulsing feature. I am a intermedite tig welder and was told that with the pulsing feature it will be alot easier to weld those "stacks of dime" welds and was curious if that was true. I am thinking about the Miller Dynasty 200 DX. Does anyone have any pics of a standard tig weld and a pulsed tig weld? Thanks alot

Josh
We have one at our work, and the welder that wanted it did pretty good with it.
The main welder said its just a gimmick and a good welder doesn't need it.

That guy that wanted it has left and the new welder doesn't use it.
I would ask them to let you try one first.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
abadsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady5 View Post
i have never used one with automatic pulse but ours has the foot pedal and i can pulse with that and it is easier to make a good looking bead. it might take some getting used to since with the pedal you can control each pulse, but after some practice i think it would be a really nice feature.
It has a foot pedal or the adjustment on the torch also. Normally that is what i use is the foot pedal but I am not always consistant. I noticed that my foot becomes heavy feeling after me making it pulse and then i usually over push down on the pedal making a bigger puddle. That is why i was curious on the machine pulsing because it should be consistant. Thanks for you comments guys

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
wibilly

i just took a welding course at the comunity collage and the instructer said he saw no need for it. i guess it's all in the user and what you get used to. it's pretty easy to get spoiled these days
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
shortbus2

I use our pulse feature alot at work and also at home. I have a syncrowave 250 dx and work has a dynasty 300. The good thing about a pulse feature is you can set the low and high points plus the pulse rate. It's hard to get used to setting the rate. I always set it slow. Pulsing helps to keep alot of heat out of the material also. If you are not consistent pulsing with your foot,,, set your amperage setting to the size puddle "dime" you need with the pedal floored. This way you get the same size dime. Pull your arc down so it barely is on,move over half a dime, floor pedal, dip rod,pull arc down.
shortbus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
grady5

my dad has been welding for 30+ yrs. he prefers to walk the cup it makes a very nice looking weld also. to me it looks better than pulsing. he can make it look like a perfect snakeskin no matter how long the weld is. im working on it but have a ways to go.
grady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
eric67m

Just one more thing to go wrong. Most of us have old trucks for a reason....Simplicity!

At my work we have two tig machines, an old Airco and a Miller syncrowave 250 dx. The Miller has a pulser feature. I have turned it on and used it twice in 8 years. Its fun to play with but definatly not a neccesity, kind of like power windows.