The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Driveway Werks

offset parallel four link

I have a 1970 C-10 that I plan on back halfing. To line up the new 2x4 frame with the old frame it will put the bags real close to the axle chuck. I don't feel comfortable mounting bags this close together. I thought if I mounted the upper bars on the inside of the frame I could then mount the bags on the outside over the axle. Is this possible? If this is a bad idea would a wishbone be a better solution? I haven't had much experience with a wishbone but it seems to be the only other possibilty because the frame is so narrow. I may tow with this truck some and want to try to keep the bags over the axle if possible. I'm looking for any kind of input or suggestions anybody may have.
Driveway Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
bedsled71

Re: offset parallel four link

well you dont HAVE to mount the bags on the axle.. i think you need to think alittle bit about what you want.. a bagged truck that is slammed to the weeds or a truck to trailer stuff around, maybe a small trailer then. i dont know. there is room on the outside of the rails if you backhalf it because the rails are about 33.75 inches wide
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Driveway Werks

I've had trucks that do both well. My last fullsize (an 88 C1500) laid rail and towed a trailer with an extended cab Dodge D50 alot. This is the first time doing one of these trucks and the frame being narrower has me thinking outside of the box on ways to set up the rear suspension. I prefer keeping the bags on or mounted slighty forward but still on the axle instead of mounting them on the bars. It just works better for what I want out of the truck and puts less stress on the bars and the bushings because of the extra weight of the trailer. I guess I just want to know if anybody thinks running the upper and lower bars in a different vertical plane will have any adverse effects.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Driveway Werks

I am also running a 3" narrower rearend to tuck a 10" wheel with minimal backspacing up into the fenderwell when laid out. This is cutting down on space between the wheel and the frame. This is how I came up with the upper bars maybe going on the inside.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
FnLow69

On my old backhalf I mounted the upper and lower bars in side the frame, so the uppers can be mounted in side the frame no problem. With the bags on the outside of the frame it will be more stable.

HERES SOME PICS....hope it helps

FnLow69 is offline   Reply With Quote