The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
dave-68

Plated or Painted from the Factory

I'm restoring a '68 and have question about how some parts came from the factoy- plated or painted?
  1. glove box hinge
  2. kick panel vent doors - and if they were painted, were the rivets painted after assembly of the seal?
  3. kick panel vent hardware ie bracket, lever arm...
  4. door hinges- including door stop, hinge pin...and was it painted assembled
  5. door catches and latches
  6. windshield wiper linkage (under cowl)
I know there are a lot of questions and I'm sure I've missed something so I was wondering if there is a good single source reference for this kind of stuff (other than this site of course)? An help is truely appreciated.
dave-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Re: Plated or Painted from the Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-68 View Post
I'm restoring a '68 and have question about how some parts came from the factoy- plated or painted?

Dave, here's what my '71 was like before Ii disassembled it. BTW, it was factory original.
  1. glove box hinge- hinge & screws - black
  2. kick panel vent doors - and if they were painted, were the rivets painted after assembly of the seal? Vent doors were painted black, and I believe the rivets were also black
  3. kick panel vent hardware ie bracket, lever arm... The long rod was not plated, nor was it painted. It was bare metal. The brackets were silver bare metal, maybe?? The tension bracket was black. The pivot pin & spring were silver-plated, screws were black
  5. door catches and latches. My door hinges were body color as were the bolts-as if the doors had been installed, adjusted & then painted. The catches (on the jam) were black and the bolts were silver plated. The latches in the door were silver plated as well.
  6. windshield wiper linkage (under cowl) Not sure on this, but I went back with the Eastwood silver cad spray paint. They look very good.

I purchased the Eastwood blackening kit and the silver plating kit. Beadblasted all hardware & brackets. This morning I just finished blackening the bolts, etc. that are supposed to be black and silver plated the parts that are supposed to be silver or bare metal. It's alot of work and time consuming , but I was very pleased with the results. The door catches and the vent rods turned out very nice. The black bolts look new. Hope this helps.
I know there are a lot of questions and I'm sure I've missed something so I was wondering if there is a good single source reference for this kind of stuff (other than this site of course)? An help is truely appreciated.
hi
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have never seen any of those items anything other than painted except #5 and those I only remember being natural, no plating though for any of the items.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
speed-racer

I have a 68 C-10 that has an original interior, with the exception of the seat. I am the second owner and it was purchased new at the local dealership. It was 100% original with the exception of wheels when I purchased it and I beleive everything listed below is as it came from the factory. I am sure someone on the board can correct me i I am wrong.

Glove box hinge......painted body color, however the catch for the glove box is black.

Kick panel vent doors and all hardware.....painted black, hard to tell if the rivets were painted. Mine have slight surface rust, more so than the rest of the vent. I wouldn't think they would assemble the seal and then paint the rivets. I guess its possible that they used black rivets?

Door hinges and all associated hardware.....appears to have been painted black or maybe a cast color. They are mostly bare right now. I have never seen any that were painted though, most I have seen looked bare like mine.

My exterior has been painted once, so I can not answer for the windshield wiper linkage. I am sure someone can chime in with an answer though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by speed-racer; 03-09-2008 at 10:06 PM.
speed-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Dave, I am ATTEMPTING a 100 pt. restoration on a '68 Anniversary truck that has not been disassembled. The gb hinge is painted body color along with the door hinges (and pin). The kick panel doors are black and the hardware is bare metal. The door latches and catches are bare metal as well. The windshield motor bars are painted body color...body color and black since the part that was under the cowl brace was still black! I just checked these on two of my trucks.

The vent door was black and rust...originally black. The arms are rust so I assume they were bare metal...I will check my driver later.

I find the 1967-1972 Chev/GMC Truck Assembly Manual pretty useful. It is a reprint of the original manuals and not indexed so very hard to use. The information is worth the hunt in most cases.

I am considering using Duplicolor satin clear coat on the bare metal hardware just to keep it from re-rusting even though I will probably suffer some deductions.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 03-09-2008 at 10:28 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Exclamation Re: Plated or Painted from the Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-68 View Post
  1. glove box hinge
  2. kick panel vent doors - and if they were painted, were the rivets painted after assembly of the seal?
  3. kick panel vent hardware ie bracket, lever arm...
  5. door catches and latches
  6. windshield wiper linkage (under cowl)

PM. or post Gorn's post [Field Find] first pg. today. He just bought a nice original 68 stock truck. Good luck!!!

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #7
dave-68

Guys, Thanks so much. Living down here on the coast in Florida I won't be leaving anything bare metal. I've already zinc plated most of these parts which if rubbed with my hands dulls the shinyness (I'm calling that a word) a little. Again thanks for all the input and help.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Dave...I can verify that the rivets on the vent door are not painted...looked at my big block truck in the sun today.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
dave-68

stllookn - Thank you
Old 03-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn View Post
Dave, I am ATTEMPTING a 100 pt. restoration on a '68 Anniversary truck that has not been disassembled. The gb hinge is painted body color along with the door hinges (and pin). The kick panel doors are black and the hardware is bare metal. The door latches and catches are bare metal as well. The windshield motor bars are painted body color...body color and black since the part that was under the cowl brace was still black! I just checked these on two of my trucks.

The vent door was black and rust...originally black. The arms are rust so I assume they were bare metal...I will check my driver later.

I find the 1967-1972 Chev/GMC Truck Assembly Manual pretty useful. It is a reprint of the original manuals and not indexed so very hard to use. The information is worth the hunt in most cases.

I am considering using Duplicolor satin clear coat on the bare metal hardware just to keep it from re-rusting even though I will probably suffer some deductions.
And the doors were painted on the truck. We are working on a low mile 2 owner '68 and just pulled door hinges last night. You can see the shadow on the door where the hinge was in the way. Everything above matches the truck we are working on as well.