The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
chevymotocross

Installing window channels soon - Advice?

I'm going to be installing new window channels and rubber wipers soon on both driver and passenger windows. It's an 87 silverado which has power windows. While I'm doing the installations, I'd like to address why both windows are slow to go up/down. Is this just a matter or lubricating the window mechanism or should I just go ahead and install new motors? Any tips on easy installations of the window channels and wipers would be greatly appreciated. I am not touching the vent windows.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
LBJ

Re: Installing window channels soon - Advice?

Since your truck is over 20 years old, I would try changing out the electrical connectors to the switches/motors. They have undoubtedly built up corrosion on the terminals and crimps, and thus, are causing high resistence and robbing power. Cut a small bit of wire off to "clean" wire and crimp on new connectors first, before buying new motors. Try one first and see if it makes any difference. In fact, as a general rule, all your connectors are old and could stand replacing. I don't think the wiring needs to be replaced as long as it has not been exposed to the elements, just the ends where they are crimped. A dab of grease on the connectors will help to increase/preserve the conductivity over the years and seal off the effects of weathering. If no improvement due to the motors themselves being tired, you haven't lost anything since you will have improved the overall operation of your new motors.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Installing window channels soon - Advice?

Chevy: Inner horizonal wiper is held by "bend over tabs". Outer comes off by carefully pulling up and inward. Those are the easy ones.
Window run gasket is a little more difficult with the glass still in the door, but not impossible. You'll have to remove the rear track though so the window can move rearward a bit and give you some clearence to the front track. (the front track is part of the vent window assembly). You will see a 7/16" head bolt near the bottom of the back part of the door. Stick your hand in there and make sure it goes to the track. Take that bolt out with the window up and pull the gasket out of the track and pull the track downward. Next SLOWLY lower the glass and pull the gasket out till you get to the front track. Very carefully move the window rearward and remove the rest of the gasket. Reverse to reinstall new one.
Slow window operation, 3 things to look at. Binding condition, low voltage or bad motor. No binding? OK. Charging system up to snuff? OK. Replace the motor. BTW, if you have to change the motor, be real careful!! There is a spring in there that HATES fingers and has enough power to take one right off if you aren't careful.
Lubrication, grease all the metal parts including the run attached to the glass with chassis grease. Lube the inside of the run gasket with silicone spray, lots of it. [U]DO NOT LUBE THE RUN GASKET WITH GREASE, YOU'LL RUIN IT!!![U] Grease atacks the rubber and silicon won't. Run window up and down to work lubricants in. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote