The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
gdink1970KS

Decisions.....Decisions

Alright guys I'm gonna need some help so I can finally stop running this project through my head and get some sleep: ) i am wanting to lower my 70 chevy and i am wanting to bag it.... i want to use stock front control arms and simply bag it.... my main problem seems to be in rear suspension... i am wanting to lower the truck to a point were it looks good but i want to avoid cutting a huge hole in the bed floor ( i am not opposed to a hole just not a HUGE one)... I am wanting to use the trailing arms, what bag placement i should use, and how low will just a bag lower the front? I don't have the funds to buy a compressor system so i am wanting to make it at a ridable height (until I get some money) and laying the frame inst a priority.. please post up some pics of ur ideas or any suggestions is a good one!
gdink1970KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Decisions.....Decisions

do a bolt in C notch and mount your bags in the stock coil spring location ... no hole in the bed & plenty low for a daily driver

Last edited by Shane; 03-12-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Don't even bother with the C-Notch, save yourself the $90 and the time, cutting, drilling.

Hit the search feature here at the forum. You'll find threads like these:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=129463
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=10

You don't need to go with a notch. You can just throw a "pancake" bumpstop on the bottom of the framerail where the axle "would" hit it when you're totally aired out.

Good luck, give the search feature a shot, there is a friggin amazing amount of info here at the forum waiting for you, and a bunch of guys here to help along the way when you have questions. It helps all of us a lot if you hit the search feature first and at least understand the fundamentals of what you need to do, and the cost involved

Welcome to the forum.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-12-2008 at 08:39 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

Shifty, no offense dude, but you don't have a damn clue about what your talking about when it comes to the statement of "don't even bother with the notch" ... bags bolted in the stock coil spring location will cause the axle tube to hit the frame even without being air'd out.

Last edited by Shane; 03-12-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Shifty, no offense dude, but you don't have a damn clue about what your talking about when it comes to the statement of "don't even bother with the notch" ... bags bolted in the stock coil spring location will cause the axle tube to hit the frame even without being air'd out.

I disagree on some of this. If you're not running blocks, you're not going to push up into the notch enough to make a difference anyway, and you won't get the bag aired out. Sure, the tube will hit frame, but that's what the bump stop is for.

It's a double-edged sword.

Fully aired out w/ notch and drop blocks, you smack your pumpkin into the bed.
Fully aired out w/o notch and no blocks, you smack axle to frame.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-12-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Oh - and just FTR, not pulling this out of my ass. This is what I saw with my own eyes on my own setup before I cut my notch and installed it this past weekend. It looked like - at most - I might have gotten maybe another half-inch to an inch of add'l travel past the bottom of the frame rail if I was running just a bag with no drop blocks.

EDIT: In retrospect, maybe my post was ill-worded. I'll leave this link for the original poster: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=145

That would have been the better way to phrase things, and that more accurately reflects my experience, because I posted that on the same nights I was working on mocking up my bags and figuring out where to cut my notch (thu/fri/sat/sun this past weekend)

Last edited by shifty; 03-12-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

Have you driven your truck with the bags in the rear yet?

Cause once you do and actually compress the suspension under driving conditions you'll understand exactly why a C notch is more than a luxury.

Last edited by Shane; 03-12-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

I have not ... and unfortunately won't get that opportunity any time in the future .

Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
jlaird

Do the notch. Every time you bottom-out, you'll be wishing you did.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Have you driven your truck with the bags in the rear yet?

Cause once you do and actually compress the suspension under driving conditions you'll understand exactly why a C notch is more than a luxury.
I agree 100%. FTR.... I do have bags w/blocks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote