The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
jimmydiesel

Paint Question

I'm trying to find a place to paint my truck. All the places I have went either tell me they won't do it or give me a ridiculous price to make me go away. They said 8-12k for paint and minimal body work. That is way out of my budget. Doing it myself is not an option since I don't have a place to do it and it would probably turn out crappy. Has anybody got a Maaco paint job and been satisfied with it? I'm not talking about the $250 one I mean the base coat clear coat one. They give it a 5 year warranty. I'm pretty uneasy about going there but they are the only ones that are willing to work with me. If anybody has opinions I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
jimmydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
oldsmobilekindofguy

Re: Paint Question

just curious but why won't they even do it, Bring it to Aberdeen, South Dakota and I will do it for ya 500 plus supplies, all my other work turned out. A little to far for ya though

Daily driver- 1970 Olds delta 88, 2dr., 455, gotta love the big block
oldsmobilekindofguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
jimmydiesel

The body shops only want to do insurance work.

Oldsmobilekindofguy-If I was closer to you I would take you up on that offer!
jimmydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Don't laff, use a roller.

I don't remember exactly how I stumbled across this, but it didn't look like too bad an idea, so I saved it.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...682&page=0&fpa
rt=1&vc=1

When you get to the site, it's a rather long post, maybe 1/4 of the way down the page.
The feller that put it up also added some pictures.

After "Googling", searching, etc., I was able to determine that "Tremclad" is the Canadian name for what we call "Rust-Oleum".

Have a good evening, folks.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Painter D

Go to a reputable body shop that turns quality work. Find the painter(s) and ask them if they do side work, some of us do. if you find one that does ,look at his work and make sure you're happy with it , ask him how much he would charge. Either way if you took it to that shop and had it done there, or if he will do it in the side, it would be the same guy that paints your truck. Its usually cheaper to have it done on the side. atleast it works that way here. hope this helps.
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
kxnomore

I tried Maaco and thought it came out very nice. But I went for the single stage $499 paint special. Of course they ding you for a truck (add $150), two tone (add $150), Paint prep package upgrade (add $150), and any minor ding, dent, and scratch repair (??),

But overall I came out of it for around $1500 and got nothing but complements including from the future buyer who loved it. I also demanded no orange peel whatsoever up front, and got no orange peel at all. In my opinion that's the key...

Here's some pics.
Attached Images

kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Premium72

maccos half decent. but you get what you pay for. keep lookn. youll find sumthn. dont settle for the quick and easy option. to hell with it. just start practicing on some parts and do it your self. i did. and although its not perfect and theres some spots im nooot happy with. I DID IT, and thats a better story to tell then ."i took it to macco.."

Last edited by Premium72; 03-13-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
Premium72

oh an i did that in my basement and my backyard
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
straitnate14

The key is to roll your daily driven ford ranger on it's side and then take it to the body shop you want to paint your hot rod... after you give them 4k in busnis they will do it
I drove my truck down there to check on my ford and he said $5000 would be a full job, cab off botom of the bed, the rust that I have fixed, full shabam I think thats fair but I havent taken them up on the deal yet i'm not patiant enough for paint yet
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
straitnate14

oh ya this paint place is like as big as a super walmart
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
SactoJim

It's ALL about the prep work. The painters that work at Maaco and for that matter, other chain type body shops know how to lay paint on anything. The paint they use is typically major paint manufacturers mid grade paint lines and work just fine.

Take everthing off the truck you can and learn how to do the body and prep work. The less body work, prep work, and masking they have to do, the nicer the end result will be. That's where those places lack....body, prep, and they will mask everything that's too involved to remove.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
jorgensensc

I'm kinda in the same boat, and this is what I have learned.
Most shops want insurance work. Getting a good quality paint job with them will run you 6-12000, depending on the work involved. Trust me on this.
Renting a paint booth is almost as impossible as me going to the moon.
Trying to get anyone to paint on the side is hard. They all want a paint booth for final spray. Most of the shops around here won't let their guys use the paint booth after hours. they figure they should be getting the job.
Everyone I spoke to has told me prep is the key to everything! Laying down the paint is easy.
I have a lead on a 19 y/o kid here locally who has worked in his dads body shop nearly his whole life. Being hard up for money he is willing to do all the minor bodywork (dings), block sanding and guide coat for fairly cheap. To me that is the crappiest part that I really don't want to do.
Now, I have read up and people say single stage paint is a breeze to lay. I would do that myself, but unfortunately I want a metallic color, and from what I've been told, a pro should really lay those type paints do to the way the metallics lay. So I am going to take mine with all bodywork a primer done to a one day type paint shop. The painters do hundreds of cars, so they have the technique down pretty darn good. i will get the color I choose, spend a little extra on good clearcoat, maybe 2 coats of clear (but no more than 3), and have them color sand and buff it out between clears. Hopefully doing it this way will put me in a good price range with good quality work.
I figure by paying the kid in cash, I can control the quality of work from him and stay on top of it since it will be done at my house. Then, get the paintwork done by a professional shop. THat's my idea anyways.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
superman3405

I agree with some of the other posts, see if some guys at the body shops want to do some side work. Getting mine painted, body work done (cab corners, rocker panels, door panels welded, usual stuff) 2500.00. Grnated it does take them a bit longer, I have been without my truck for about 10 weeks now. I am feening to see the old girl again.
Good Luck

1972 Chevy C-10 Short Bed (Ol'Blue)
350/350TH
2003 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 Honda MiniVan...yup we should all be so lucky
superman3405 is offline   Reply With Quote