The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2002, 09:21 PM   #1
Bowed

OH ! OH ! I Broke it

Was trying to pull the steering wheel on my 67 C10 , First I removed the shaft nut then installed and started to turn the puller . There was so much resistance trying to pull the wheel that the 5/8 inch puller shaft snaped in half. Did I miss a step here , is there something else to remove first ? Never had a problem removing a steering wheel before .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:37 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

First off, leave the nut threaded on just a little, I always do, I don't know why.

Second, it sounds like you did it correctly, although getting the puller nice and tight, and then smacking it with a large hammer may have worked.

Third...I think it's just difficult to get the wheels off these trucks, my 68's steering shaft has a divot in the end of it, from a steering wheel puller. I can only hope the wheel that's on it now isn't as hard to take off.....

Good luck!
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 10:01 PM   #3
Southpa

You need a real good, 1st rate puller sometimes. I have bent puller bolts right out of shape before. I had to go down to my buddy's shop and use his heavy duty puller and it popped right off. I left it loose and drove home like that. Got a few laughs on the way home. I'd drive up beside someone and pull the wheel off the column with a surprized look on my face.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
lofly'a

after i get it in a real good bind and it still won't come off, i get my brass hammer and give it a "good" tap a few times. if it still won't cooperate, spray some wd-40 on it and let it sit a while before trying. sometimes the years of being splined together can seize up everything.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 10:20 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I had similar problem with my 70...My shaft didn't brake, but it did smash the threaded end of the shaft way down.. Steering wheel is stillhooked to that shaft....I changed columns, the pulled out the shaft. The wheel is still intact...lying next to my shed. never ran across one so stubborn in my life...then I heard three others had similar truble...your the first non-70 model though.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:04 PM   #6
Hooter
My other Love

trying to pull the steering wheel out of my friends s15 i managed to pull out all of the threads on his steering wheel. Looks like he is literally stuck with the stock steering wheel

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:31 AM   #7
PitterPats72

Good Puller

I had a problem pulling mine last time. I used my puller and the steering whell wouldn't come off. Then I used the one I rented (free) from AutoZone. It was heavy duty and did the job in a snap.

Gotta be a good puller.
73 VW Super Beetle -New to me- Bought from original owner!
84 Honda Nighthawk (2500 mi.)
I know too much foreign stuff; I've owned American too and they lasted
just as long.
PitterPats72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 02:56 AM   #8
Hooter
My other Love

I have a really good puller. Its just sometimes they dont wanna come off

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:30 AM   #9
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Some good ideas here. Here's what I have done. First, I use a harmonic balancer puller. Had to do a little grinding on it to make it narrow enough for the GM bolt pattern and bought two grade 5 bolts to do the work.

Always leave the nut on the column, flush with the shaft end. This keeps you from messing up the threads. Apply some good penetrating oil to the splines, I prefer Kroil or PBBlaster.

Install the puller, running the bolts in as far as possible, but leaving the ends in the puller even. If your puller does not have a swivel on the shaft, place a greased washer between the puller shaft and column end. If you do have a swivel, oil it. Also be sure the threads on the puller shaft are oiled.

Start turning the shaft. If the wheel acts like it will be a tough pull, add more penetrant and allow it to soak overnight if possible. Take your 2 lb hammer and tap the end of the puller shaft. Firm, but not hard whacks. Usually this will loosen the splines.

If it's still stuck, heat is next. Use a fine tip on the torch, heating only the wheel hub. Keep away from the horn plunger. Sometimes applying pariffin to the splines will help here.

I have never had one refuse to release using these methods. If you do strip the threads in the wheel hub, go to the next size and tap both holes.

One last thing, when I re-assemble a steering wheel, I apply anti-sieze to the splines, keeps me or the next guy from having all these problems.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 10:20 AM   #10
Crank

LMAO @ Southpa. I honestly think you should go about it calmly with a high quality steering wheel puller. Keep it well oiled. and go to town.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote