The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
drman929

LSX swap questions

So the Buick 455 that I was looking at turned out to have a knock, so I passed on it. Now I've found a wrecked late model (03 or 04) Chevy truck with the 5.3. It is auto, 4x4, around 60k. The guy wants $1500 for it. My wheels are turning....but I have a few questions. I've searched here and other forums but haven't really found any good answers to my questions.

First, since I would have the whole truck, would it be necessary to buy a wiring harness? Does anyone have any wiring guides to these engines just so I could see what I'm up against? Wiring is my biggest fear of the project.

Secondly, I have a 2wd. Can I just take the t-case off and add an extension housing?
drman929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
pcmcobra

Re: LSX swap questions

If you have the whole truck, then hopefully it comes with the harness. Check out www.ls1tech.com
www.ls1truck.com
www.performancetrucks.net
Tons of info on swaps and wiring info. Or you could send the harness off to a company like www.speartech.com and have them rewire it for you.
As for 4x4...several options, change it out to 2wd, gonna cost some $. Sell it and get a 2wd 4l60, or use the tranny you have. You can use th350, 700r4, and a few others to mate to the 5.3. You also need to get the computer reprogrammed, and redo your fuel system for the high pressure efi on the 5.3.
I'm sure some others will chime in with some more info.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

hit my thread linked in signature. from there, on the first pages, a few posts in you will find a buttload of linked articles to swap threads here. you'll find tons of ideas and all the answers you're looking for. hell, your first question is answered in my swap thread

i can't answer your second question. i'd just say, "buy the engine only and get a used 4l80e tranny to use". you'll need to get your computer re-tuned for the new tranny.

good luck.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
68 short step

? 1) like shifty said
? 2) no, the output shaft is longer on the 2wd tranny..to switch output shafts you have to completely tear down the trans to put a 2wd one in...then you can install the tailhouseing from a 2wd unit..
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Ackattack

I'd get the whole thing. You will find little nick nack things that will make the swap easier. The whole wiring harness will be there. Also, with the under hood fuse block that is in the truck, the the wiring will be pretty simple.

I'd sell the 4wd tranny and look for a 2wd tranny. Probably make a little money on the deal too. I found my 4L60E for $300.

You may be able to use the fuel tank/pump, brakes, abs????, radiator, and who knows what else if you get ambitous. Oh, the seats might be a good option too (I'm looking for a set of late model seats for my 68).
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
drman929

Wow, thanks for the reading material! 3 hours later and sore eyes, I have a better grasp on the subject...haha

I might have to tackle this...good summer project. Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
sickchevy68cst
Rice Killing 101

good luck and god speed to u.. i've never done a 4x4 to 2wd swap b4 if it goes smoothly let us kno

Ride:
1968 c20 lwb 327(orig motor)/np435/eaton 4.10 w/posi
puttin in a 496 rebuilding trans need to rebuild diff :|
need to start takin pics and start a project thread
sickchevy68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by drman929 View Post
Wow, thanks for the reading material! 3 hours later and sore eyes, I have a better grasp on the subject...haha

I might have to tackle this...good summer project. Thanks guys!
If you really have your ducks in a row, you could pull off this swap in less than a week. The big stuff:

- Get the tranny situation figured out first and buy the drivetrain.
- Get your engine and tranny mounts ironed out next so you can bolt it in.
- Get your plumbing and tanks figured out (water/cooling, fuel).
- Get your wiring and PCM tuning figured out so you can wire and fire it.

Once you fire it up, measure the driveshaft out and drive off.

Granted - there are a LOT of options out there in between - but if you can prepare for these four bulletted items quickly BEFORE you start the swap, it should be a walk in the park.

Oh yeah - automatic installs are soooo much easier.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
pcmcobra

Shifty makes some good points.
Some thought and planning will save you a lot of time and $money$.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
drman929

After reading, I have sort of a plan and a few questions. I saw where the one man did the swap for just above 2 grand! That would be more of what I would do...a cheaper swap to yield the benefits while keeping quality if at all possible. His fuel setup looked smart, but I didn't see any info on his pumps and where he got them. So, if you're reading, I'd like to know!

I would think about sending my harness and pcm to W4M if it intimidated me. I've had them tune for me before, and I had the same experience as you did Shifty, but I always got what I wanted, it was just a fingers-crossed deal. I would also probably try to keep the fuse/relay box from the truck if possible.

I would probably use hydraulic hose for fuel lines, since we make them all day where I work. They would be a lot cheaper than the stainless, and the fitting styles are the same.

I have a couple bumps in the road though. I don't know if I would rebuild the tranny and put the correct tailshaft and housing or find another 4l60e. Are the 4l60es the same from '93 up?

I'm trying to get a plan going to set a budget...ha! I'm just thinking things through, so if anyone has better ideas, throw them out there!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I'd get the whole thing. You will find little nick nack things that will make the swap easier. The whole wiring harness will be there. Also, with the under hood fuse block that is in the truck, the the wiring will be pretty simple.

I'd sell the 4wd tranny and look for a 2wd tranny. Probably make a little money on the deal too. I found my 4L60E for $300.

You may be able to use the fuel tank/pump, brakes, abs????, radiator, and who knows what else if you get ambitous. Oh, the seats might be a good option too (I'm looking for a set of late model seats for my 68).
I know the radiator won't fit. We had a radiator from a similar year Escalade, waaaaaay too wide.

The seats and and speakers would be worth a grab. Bet the center console will be nice too.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
68fleetsidec20

I'm the guy who did the cheap swap.
For fuel pumps I used a carter low pressure http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4070/10002/-1 and for the high pressure I used a stock ford pump (Carter P74028) but its a little loud, in another EFI conversion I used a Holley 12-920 http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-920/10002/-1 which I like better.

For a fuse block I considered the stock one but the factory one seems to include all the the components to run all aspects of the truck in one massive fuse block which I didn't want to deal with. So I found one in a 1994 Grand Prix which was almost perfect for this swap. I found you need 12 fuses and 3 relays, this leaves 1 spare fuse receptacle and 2 spare low ampage relay receptacles, so a little room to expand if you want
68fleetsidec20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #13
drman929

Hey man, thanks for the info on the pumps! You still liking your swap? Any problems?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
68fleetsidec20

I am still very happy with the swap and haven't had any problems with it and I highly recommend you do it, you wont be disappointed.
68fleetsidec20 is offline   Reply With Quote