The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Lrall

Bear claw latches-post em up!!

I was thinking about the whole drivers door lock deal. IF you have bear claw's doesnt that change how your lock would function? I dont have the latches and such in front of me or i would try to figure it out myself. Doesnt the pass lock go into the latch?? Post up the bear claw latches, both sides!!
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
53lochevy

Re: Bear claw latches-post em up!!

Im going to be posting a how to install them but mine is a 53 with push button door handles but for the ones that are have the 90 crank door handles just use the push button ones all you have to do is drill the hole for the handle anchor. Have done the passendger side it was a very easy clean install the one thing is dont get in a hurry and dont be a butcher like Ive seen most of the install of these latches good thing they make bondo for most of them to cover up their mess, for some of the welding I've seen in here, so find someone who can weld if your not good enough because I used no filler and welded the latches in and smooth grinded the edges and use gas is a must, not flux core for this. Main thing is layout and taking your time in cutting the door out correctly and then having the correct grinding tools to get the center latch pin cut out and the areas. The better welder you are in areas like these will save you time not to metion the way it looks. Will have complete layout set by step by end of the week. But since I gotten the passenger side done there is not comparison on how it latches nice is all I can say. Will get the drivers side done but stop because I got the TCI air- bagged mustang II front end in and I'm in the process of layout and installing it.
53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Daniel U

Not sure if your looking for info or pics on the install. Here's some after shots of them intalled:

I decided to swap latches after hearing about the product. My doors had a tendency of popping open as I rounded a turn or hit a bump in the road.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

I've got them in my 61. Only one complain; when they release they are LOUD.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
53lochevy

If you notice in Daniel U install he didnt install them in place of the stock location resulting in a left over orginal latch opening in the door jam post and a rise in the metal on the side of the door where the latch was. Either
way if you install these this way your gonna have to fill the door jam and cut out the door to get the smooth look in the jam areas. You should install in the factory location of the latches without the extra work not to mention when opening the door and seeing where they should be along with the new spot you installed them big time eye sore, there is nothing wrong in the installation of these latches in the stock location of the old ones the only thing you gonna have to do is fab a new push latch for the door handle on the outside. Will have complete pics of install on bear claw latches. I didnt mean to knock ya Daniel just dont understand why you didnt use the stock location of the latches to install the new in the same location. Looks like you cut a piece of metal to fill the door jam but you still have the rise in the door resulting showing two locations u can plainly see. Just my opion each to there own.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
weldvair@embarqmail.

I always put the lartce in the cab pilliar not the door. That way thr electronics stay dry behind the B post.
Attached Images

weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
53lochevy

why would you put the latches in the door post? U must rely on the poppers to open from outside or inside because the latch is on the post and there is no way to hook up the handles makes no sense unless u just want popper to open it for u. But at least you were smart enough to put them in the stock location of the old latch thus preventing another opening in the jam. The only thing i see is the latch opening which is kinda an eye sore if was in the door, when you open it the latch wouldnt be exposed to you unless you are sitting in the truck because its on the side if the door not on the side of the pillar and you can see it you wouldnt have worry about water or whatever you were taking about I guess it would be the poppers themselves that are mounted by them.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
weldvair@embarqmail.

I'm not sure I can explain it any better. I do not use poppers & I do not use door handles .
The doors open by themnselves from the action of the latch. I use electronic door openers(as modern cars) to open the doors from the outside. The latched & all electronic equipment Is NOT in the door where it is subject to shock & water.

I use both buttons &/or handles to open from the inside. The door mech openers are very small & mount to the B pillar...they are sold by Lokart. The botton openers are installed in the center console.
Don Meyer, Mech Engr

Last edited by weldvair@embarqmail.; 03-22-2008 at 05:55 AM.
weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote