The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
kxnomore

Valve adjustment question

I have been having some noisy lifters lately, so I decided today to try to tighten up the valvetrain, possibly for the first time ever based on the amount of effort to get the last traces of what used to be a cork gasket off the engine and valve cover.

But as I loosen the rockers up until they clack, and then tighten them until the clacking just stops, here is where my question begins.

How much further??? I was told 3/4 of a turn, but right at about a half turn, the engine noticibly changes pitch and kind of bogs down. Should I stop short of that happening and just go about a 1/4 turn??? or let the engine bog down a bit, and hope it recovers eventually???

Thanks in advance to any opinions or suggestions!
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Valve adjustment question

You need to make sure the lifters aren't collapsed. If they are you won't be able to adjust them like that.

But, to answer your question (there's going to be differences of opinion) I've always adjusted new lifter with the "tighten until clicking just stops and slowly turn 3/4 of a turn more" method.

I had a collapsed lifter that I adjusted once until I had minimal clicking and ran it like that for several years until I replaced them all.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 03-19-2008 at 04:29 AM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I believe the noise you're hearing is caused by the valve standing open. When I adjusted my valves I read countless threads on just what you're asking and everybody had a different answer. I did mine by sound, because I don't think you can necessarily say exactly 'x' amount of turn for each adjuster nut. You want to find a happy medium between the clattering and standing open. Hope this helps.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
larry may

Well there you have it . If the lifters are not real good shape then adjusting the valves can be an aggravation. Generally I loosen them up till they chatter (one at a time) Then tighten it back down till the chatter stops. one fourth of a turn tighter at a turn till one full turn is accomplished. Take a minute or so to retighten. Did read some noise one time talking about turning the push rod while tightening the rocker just till some drag is felt while turning the push rod. Never tried that. May not work out either. Have fun

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

I believe the twist the pushrod while tightening mostly is for initial adjustment before startup. Or a cold adjustment it's sometimes called.
Most of the manuals I"ve seen called for warmed engine at slow idle and said to loosen until it clacks then tighten slowly until it gets quiet then turn an additional 3/4 turn for preload. The engine will slow down just a bit as the lifter compensates but will recover. Some will only accept 1/2 turn total and some will take 1 full turn. 3/4 turn has always worked very well on all mine.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

The GM Service Manual says to THOROUGHLY warm up the engine before adjusting valves,then remove valve cover(s) install oil deflecters (I use a piece of cardboard laid along the head) and lossen until clacking.Then tighten until clacking just goes away and as mentioned in previous post above by larry may,tighten 1/4 turn at a time, wait ten seconds between turns (until engine again runs smoothly).GM says one full turn past zero lash.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
The GM Service Manual says to THOROUGHLY warm up the engine before adjusting valves,then remove valve cover(s) install oil deflecters (I use a piece of cardboard laid along the head) and lossen until clacking.Then tighten until clacking just goes away and as mentioned in previous post above by larry may,tighten 1/4 turn at a time, wait ten seconds between turns (until engine again runs smoothly).GM says one full turn past zero lash.
The additional turn is to center the pushrod in the lifter
Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
kxnomore

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up only being able to go between 1/4 turn and a half turn max. I couldn't tell if the engine was recovering while it sputtered and sounded like it was going to stall, so I backed off a bit until it neither clacked nor sputtered. Hopefully they are not too loose.

But they're practically silent now compared to before. You can barely hear them at slow speeds, and on the freeway the road noise is now louder than the lifters. Not too bad for an original engine with at least 115K miles!!!
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
71big block
1971 GMC 3/4 ton, 572 CID

I've found that with used lifters there is no exact way to adjust them, I use the tighten them until they stop clacking and the go a "little bit" more methode.

"We always have parts left over on a job this size"
71big block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #10
larry may

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Yip thats what I read 42 years ago. for hydralic.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
sickchevy68cst
Rice Killing 101

hmm i should try this out on my engine brb

Ride:
1968 c20 lwb 327(orig motor)/np435/eaton 4.10 w/posi
puttin in a 496 rebuilding trans need to rebuild diff :|
need to start takin pics and start a project thread
sickchevy68cst is offline   Reply With Quote