The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
914fan
Registered User

Location: HB CA
Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

All,
There is a new bill to un-exempt pre 76 cars from smog in CA. Please read and e-mail your comments to those listed. Thank you for your time.
----------
From: "SEMA Action Network" <no-reply@sema.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:47:58 -0700
To: Marty Simurda <msimurda@hotvws.com>
Subject: SEMA Legislative Alert: Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties...

To view this email as a web page, please follow this link <http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/email.htm?h=31afc503988fa8d53649a090612c23b0&CID=1219945724&ch=5F21A347A6AEEC8D115D9520ADF919DE>

Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties; Hearing Scheduled for April 1

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez (senator.florez@sen.ca.gov) to repeal the statešs current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in Californiašs Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

We Urge You to Call, E-Mail or Fax Senator Florez and Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Oppose S.B. 1549

* Existing law in California exempts all pre-1976 vehicles from emissions testing.
*
*
* Californiašs current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1976 motor vehicles on emissions and air quality.
*
*
* Pre-1976 vehicles constitute a small and shrinking portion of the overall vehicle population in California and are a poor source from which to look for further emissions reductions.
*
*
* Pre-1976 antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained.
*
*
* Repeal of the exemption in the San Joaquin Valley could lead the Legislature to target other areas in the state in the future.
*
*
* Legislators and regulators are again feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes, as it has in previous amendments to the old car exemption!

Please phone, fax or e-mail Senator Florez to express your opposition to S.B. 1549. Senator Florez can be reached at:

E-Mail: Senator.Florez@sen.ca.gov
Phone: (916) 651-4016
Fax: (916) 327-5989

Please phone, fax or e-mail members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee to express your opposition to S.B. 1549

California Senate Transportation & Housing Committee

(Click here to email all Committee members)
<mailto:senator.Lowenthal@sen.ca.gov;senator.mcclintock@sen.ca.gov;senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov;senato r.cedillo@sen.ca.gov;senator.corbett@sen.ca.gov;senator.dutton@sen.ca.gov;senator.harman@sen.ca.gov; senator.kehoe@sen.ca.gov;senator.oropeza@sen.ca.gov;sena>
Senator Alan Lowenthal * Chair
Phone: 916/651-4027
Fax: 916/327-9113
Email: Senator.Lowenthal@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom McClintock
Phone: 916/651-4019
Fax: 916/324-7544
Email: senator.mcclintock@sen.ca.gov

Senator Roy Ashburn
Phone: 916/651-4018
Fax: 916/322-3304
Email: senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov

Senator Gilbert Cedillo
Phone: 916/651-4022
Fax: 916/327-8817
Email: senator.cedillo@sen.ca.gov

Senator Ellen Corbett
Phone: 916/651-4010
Fax: 916/327-2433
Email: senator.corbett@sen.ca.gov

Senator Bob Dutton
Phone: 916/651-4031
Fax: 916/327-2272
Email: senator.dutton@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom Harman
Phone: 916/651-4035
Fax: 916/445-9263
Email: senator.harman@sen.ca.gov

Senator Christine Kehoe
Phone: 916/651-4039
Fax: 916/327-2188
Email: senator.kehoe@sen.ca.gov

Senator Jenny Oropeza
Phone: 916/651-4028
Fax: 916/323-6056
Email: senator.oropeza@sen.ca.gov

Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: 916/651-4011
Fax: 916/323-4529
Email: senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom Torlakson
Phone: 916/651-4007
Fax: 916/445-2527
Email: senator.torlakson@sen.ca.gov

Senator Leland Yee
Phone: 916/651-4008
Fax: 916/327-2186
Email: senator.yee@sen.ca.gov

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org

Terms under which this service is provided to you: sema.org/disclaimer <http://echo.bluehornet.com/ct/2356079:1219945724:m:1:56223993:5F21A347A6AEEC8D115D9520ADF919DE>

SEMA's mailing address: 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Copyright 2007. Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)

This message was intended for: msimurda@hotvws.com
You were added to the system February 21, 2007. For more information
click here <http://echo.bluehornet.com/subscribe/source.htm?c=bh0kL7Ws6AWo.&email=msimurda@hotvws.com&cid=b84e9ff442eead04d94a61a8f0ef07f2> .
Update your preferences <http://echo.bluehornet.com/phase2/survey1/survey.htm?CID=fyadzs&action=update&eemail=msimurda@hotvws.com&_mh=31afc503988fa8d53649a090612c23b0> | Unsubscribe <http://echo.bluehornet.com/phase2/survey1/survey.htm?CID=fyadzs&action=update&eemail=msimurda@hotvws.com&_mh=31afc503988fa8d53649a090612c23b0>

Compose Email:
senator.Lowenthal@sen.ca.gov
Add to Contacts

Last edited by 914fan; 03-21-2008 at 05:01 AM.
914fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

jsbgump's Avatar

Location: Fort Worth, Texas 76135
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

Welcome to the board from Texas
__________________
68 Chevy Short Fleetside LSX Swap Under Way 3.73 posi 2.5/4 drop Frame of resto has been started
2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited
2019 Chevy Traverse Redline Edition Wifes Ride
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
shaneschevys
Its always something!

shaneschevys's Avatar

Location: FT Worth,TX
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

Welcome from FT Worth TX.
__________________
79 p10 stepvan
72 Short Fleetside
72 Suburban
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

72BlckButy's Avatar

Location: Mid-MO
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

You might get a few more hits, other than welcoming you to the board, it you post this in either the General Discussion, or a specific message board (ie, 67-72, 60-66, ...)
__________________
-Nate

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
DREAMS OF A 67
Step Brother

DREAMS OF A 67's Avatar

Location: knoxville TN
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

Welcome From Knoxville Tn!!!
DREAMS OF A 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
dan42
Registered User

dan42's Avatar

Location: Cali Central Coast
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

I will definitely follow up on my part for it - thanks for the heads up.
__________________
'67 SWB Fleetside ZZ4/350/Tremec 5-speed/4link/Scott's IFS - and fun as heck! SOLD
Click here to support the board
Philippians 4: 6-7
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Longhorn Man's Avatar

Location: Hilliard Ohio
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

ppl been warning this for years... should't be a surprise.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
fine69
Senior Member

fine69's Avatar

Location: Urbana,Ohio,USA
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

Kewl, should be easier for me to buy rustfree Cali trucks and cars.

OH, sucks for you.
__________________
2008 Chevy HHR 1/2 panel.
1949 Chevy Panel truck(just sittin, waiting)

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

Shane's Avatar

Location: over yonder
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

who is Jake?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

67ChevyRedneck's Avatar

Location: Greenville, SC
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

My question is, what are they going to compare it to? What did they test for for emissions back in the late 60's early 70's? I know our trucks had those canister things, was there anything else?
__________________
Jesse James
1967 C10 SWB Stepside: 350/700R4/3.73
1965 Ford Mustang: 289/T5-5spd/3.25 Trac-Loc
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-20-2008 at 07:18 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

fastwillie 696969's Avatar

Location: CALIFORNIA NOR CAL
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

never will happen
__________________
is it fast ? it has a lighting bolt donut?

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

fastwillie 696969's Avatar

Location: CALIFORNIA NOR CAL
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
My question is, what are they going to compare it to? What did they test for for emissions back in the late 60's early 70's? I know our trucks had those canister things, was there anything else?
pcv valve
__________________

Old 03-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Longhorn Man's Avatar

Location: Hilliard Ohio
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

there's all kinds of smog control items on there... you just don't picture them as smog control.
An air filter is smog control
the pipe going up to the air cleaner from the manifold,
Vac advance on the dist
The tranny controlled spark advance that was unplugged and remove 30 years ago,
PCV
Charchol canister on 71/72

There are smog standards for all passenger cars starting in 64. I am not sure when they started smogging light duty (10 - 30 series) trucks.
Cali used to smog all cars 64 to date, and just stopped 6 or 7 years ago. Many other states still do.
Don't say it won't/can't happen, Cali has already spent millions in preperation. It's a done deal.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 AM   #14
AceX
>130dB Moderator

AceX's Avatar

Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

Not gonna pass, so I'm not worried.
__________________
Living Life @ 130dB
LED Tail Light Conversion; How-to

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:06 AM   #15
914fan
Registered User

Location: HB CA
Re: Smog bill to un-exempt pre 76 in CA

Thanks for the welcome. Ive been on board for a couple years. I read more than I post. I posted this on ALL the boards I play at. Mostly vintage boards, cause a carb is a carb, and tuning is tuning. Im on here for support with my 96 burb. I know that there are LOTS of people here with pre 76 trucks.

Jake is the moderator of one of the other boards I posted this on. I forgot to delete that part for this board. I dont know who the moderator is here. IF someone wants to move this to somewehre else, Thats fine. I didnt know where to put it.

Thanks again guys / gals.
914fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmarks