The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Paul Sek

Body Side Moulding

Hi

My truck never came with body side moulding. I purchased a complete kit and now is the time to install. I looked over the assembly manual diagrams, however the diagram is a little vague on details.
This web site also posts the exact diagram.
http://64moneypit.pages.web.com/id44.html

Can anybody help he out? They have a number 25 which I believe is the centre line. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could give me some actual measurements.

Thanks

Paul S
Paul Sek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Re: Body Side Moulding

Paul, I also am installing the side trim on my '63, but I am not going to use the fasteners that go through the panels.
I am using 3M double sided trim adhesive. I just couldn't bear the thought of drilling into my truck panels.
I have completed the drivers side and they are on nice and tight.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greg
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
ol Curt

I don't think the 25 represents the center line. It looks like it is a measurement from the center line to the bottom of the molding. The photo kind of makes it look like it is a measurement from the top edge of fender well to the hole, but mine is much more than the .48" shown. Is there a measurement I could give you from mine? It is a '66 but I believe the trim is the same.

Last edited by ol Curt; 03-23-2008 at 11:10 PM.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

The numbers in circles are reference dimensions. They coordinate with a base planes on the tooling and engineering. Fore & aft are stations, usually to a plane in front of the vehicle. Up and down are called water lines, in and out are butt(ock) lines from the center. Once the vehicle is out of the tooling, these lines are of little use to most people. You will be best to get dimensions from places like the door and fender edges combined with a good eyeball. Use tape to hold the trim in place until the entire side is aligned.

I like the trim adhesive idea. It not only eliminates drilling holes, but also the hooks that hold on the trim and rust. (They also will cut through muscle in a hurry!)

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote