The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

It finally runs!

I got my 87 GMC half ton running again for it to be a DD. My 69 was wearing me out to drive it anymore.
When I got this one...it was missing its trans. Its was a 305/700R4 truck. When I looked at it... I noticed that the original engine was gone. The guy proceeded to tell me it was a 283. He said it came out of a 65 Impala. I never believe anything till I see the number to tell what it is. It has a Edelbrock Performer RPM on it. I was also told it had a new cam and timing chain. First thing I did when I got it home was pull the motor the get a better look at it. I noticed there was no accessory holes in the heads. Then I seen the numbers looked them up and the guy wasnt lying. There is almost new dual exhaust. So I had a 350 long tail sitting on the floor in the garage....then I thought about it...realized that it wasnt going to work. The 700R4 was a short tail trans...not sure if they ever made a long tail 700R4. The search began for a 350 short tail. Trying to find a 350 Short here is like pulling teeth. I went back to my old job. I was in the parts room looking for something and then I spotted it...a 350 short Tail! So I grab it up and take it into the shop. Grabbed my boss and asked him how much? He said 100.00. I gave him the 100.00 and loaded it up in my 69. Now here where the fun begins. I put the trans on the 283 and drop it in the truck. I put the drive shaft in the trans and start to slide it back into the rear end...and clunk. The drive shaft is too short. Crap. So I call and couple of places. I ask if anyone can extend the drive shaft 3 inches. I am told no they would have to retube it. 120.00. I call this last place and the guy tells me that he has 8 inch long yokes that may work. This sounds like a plan to me. I go down and grab one up. I press out the u joint and realize the bearing caps are too big for the yoke. Damn. Off to the parts store. This kid there starts measuring the caps and the drive shaft and new yoke....after about a 1/2 hour he has exactly what I needed. 2 week total for getting the truck back up and running...632.42. I couldnt get a cheap battery. That was 62.00 by itself.

So I know this thread is worthless without pics...so here we go!

Here is what it looked like when I got it home.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote