The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
DJZ

'Cobweb Specialties' body shop?

Hey guys... Curious if anyone has worked with Cobweb Specialties up here in King County, WA. They seem like a great shop. HERE is the link to their website. They have a guy that will go with us to check out the '70 Chevy SWB 4x4 that I'm looking at for around $100. If we choose to do the work with them, they will just credit the $100 back to us for giving them the job. Seems like good business to me. Thanks in advance!

By the way, how far do you think $6k would go toward body work and paint (quality, that is)? I know I have no pictures or anything, but could I get a solid, high-quality body resto started for that much? Thanks!

-Daniel
DJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 'Cobweb Specialties' body shop?

I`m obviously not familiar being so far away.But,the name strikes up the vision of a bunch of customer`s vehicles on the back burner gathering cobwebs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
ed2552

or maybe they take vehicles covered in cobwebs and give them new life. It sounds pretty legit to me, if they are willing to pay for your truck to get your business, sounds like they will appreciate you, your truck and your business. This is from a 16 yr old who has been around business since i was little in some way shape or form. I give you permission to take a grain of salt to what I said.
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

From their site, looks like they do great work.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZ View Post
By the way, how far do you think $6k would go toward body work and paint (quality, that is)? I know I have no pictures or anything, but could I get a solid, high-quality body resto started for that much? Thanks!-Daniel
DJZ...That is a tough question to answer. It depends on the amount of body work that will be needed...patch panels and new parts may be required...before body work is done you will need to check the undercarriage...transmission...engine etc...For a reference from Ohio...My 70cst (in process) is going to cost between $15,000-20,000. This includes the engine and tranny rebuild (done), body and paint, frame cleaned and painted, Interior refurbished etc. This will not include the complete 72 lwb take off bed that I purchased for $1500. This will get me a very nice driver but not a trailer queen (where every nut and bolt replaced). This does not include the parts that I will supply such as interior parts, emblems, trim, and other misc. parts. There are other trucks that have way more $$$ invested than I and others with much less $$$. Some truck owners have the time and ability to do their own work while others do not. DJZ...the bodyshop you are talking to looks like they do very nice work and seem to be very capable. Get references. Also they should tell you what $6000 will get you. It all comes down to what you want to pay, what you want done, and the quality of detail . Good Luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 03-26-2008 at 06:18 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I`d like to have at least $5,000 before I`d take a truck for a body resto.It`s going to vary.But,I`d be surprised to get one done for less.I`d take it in parts,unless the bodyman would prefer not.I`d let him see it first,either way.With $5Gs I`d hope to at least get it all together and ready for paint.I`m talking labor and incidentals.I`d want to supply my own parts.I`d gather all that up and then take it to the shop.
I may be way off,but that`s what I`ve been figuring for awhile.It could easily go alot more.But I think $6,000 is a safe piggy bank.But,it could go more.I doubt many will give you an accurate cost up front.It`s just the nature of the beast.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-26-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZ View Post
By the way, how far do you think $6k would go toward body work and paint (quality, that is)? I know I have no pictures or anything, but could I get a solid, high-quality body resto started for that much? Thanks!

-Daniel
6k will get you a really nice paintjob if you don't need much prep work.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
DJZ

Thanks everyone... About the $6k, the body has several small spots of rust and the floor is pretty rusted (about 3 in. width in the front floor under the pedals). I would like to get it all blasted away and fixed completely, and then of course repainted. Is $6k enough to get this done. The drivetrain needs no help, so that wouldn't have to be included in the cost either.
DJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
ed2552

Media blasting could be up to $1,000 from what i've heard, so $6,000 is possible, but it may be on the low end
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
bglad420

Theres a guy up in Lynden that will media blast my whole truck for 900 in and out, at BLakes sandblasting I've seen it and he does great work. Theres also another guy at Custom Design Painting who does superior paint and body, he's about 50 an hour, aand wow worth every penny, so if you want to travel a little north.... just a couple guys you might want to check into.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I have been to their shop and sold them lots of parts. Cowl Hoods, patch panels, single piece side window kits, and etc. I talked to their metal guy, and seen some of his work... Man he is a magision.. Little to no bondo needed!! I don't want to quote his prices, but I would think that $6K would just be a good start. Work of their quallity doesn't come cheap. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I`d keep paint as a seperate fund from the $6G.You may have something left toward paint.The only way this project can be done all at once and rather quickly is when unlimited money is available.Like most any hobby that flys,floats,or fuh...er uh...has (.)(.) or wheels,if you can just afford it then you don`t have enough.Having this done ain`t cheap.Doing it saves bouqou bucks.Or,takes stages to be able to afford.

Tim

Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #13
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

I'm not into all the computer icons, but for some reason, I knew exactly what the symbol (.)(.) meant, & I've got bad eyes..............
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #14
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
I I don't want to quote his prices, but I would think that $6K would just be a good start. Work of their quallity doesn't come cheap. WES
x2 --- but if it makes you feel any better, with new truck payments on daily drivers running $600 a month or more for many of us --- thats just 10 payments !!

I'm a glass is half full type of guy

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 03-27-2008 at 03:10 AM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

When having body work done you really need to make sure you put everything in writing.Get very specific on what you expect.If you want to be able to paint black you need absolutely perfect panels.If you want razor sharp 3/8 ths panel gaps you need to make sure that is in there.You also need to make sure you set a timeline.I have seen many of the members who have had trucks in paint jail for years only to finally pick up a semi complete project and have to find someone who will follow after someone elses work.You need to itemize what parts/materials who will furnish and be sure you have them to the shop in a timely manor.Set times for a update/walk around so you can see that progress is being made.Many body shops will take a classic as a project to do "intheir spare time" when they have all the work they can handle in collision work which pays more and has a higher profit margin.Thus they do the collision work while your project sits.This can lead to long stays in paint/bodywork jail.Having all of this spelled out in the begining and following thru on what is supposed to be accomplished and when will help keep everyone on track.Also make sure you have everything decided in advance since changes in midstream tend to throw any prior planning off.In other words,if you want driprails shaved that needs to be determined up front so it can be accomplished in the correct order.Any changes or adds after work has started may cause the body shop to have to redo work that was previously finished.
I personally have never been to the point you are in your build but I have been watching and reading posts by the members here for a long time and most of what I mentioned has come up in the posts they have made on their builds.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #16
Livrat
Member #1049

IMHO... $6K would be a good start towards the metal and body work, but more than likely it would not take you clear through to a finished truck.

From the local trucks I have bought, built and dealt with it takes about $3k in metal work (floors, foot wells, cab supports, cab corners etc) then if you want it media blasted, dissassembly (removing front clip, doors,bed etc) and blasting runs about another $1500.
After that the actual body work and reassembly not counting the paint work itself you would hit the $6k mark pretty quickly .
The truck I have in my shop currently, Just the paint and clear coat materials were a little over $1000.
IF you are able to do alot of the dissassembly, scraping, cleaning and reassembly you could save considerable $$
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote