The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
bl705k

door alignment issues

Hey everybody, Picked up two new tri plus doors last week. Been having a hell of a time tring to hang them. Started with driver side first. Old door was scraping the rocker in the front corner but everything else looked reasonable. I have done thread research reguarding this issue and seems to me the body mounts play a big role in door alignment. Mine look like fairly new with no dry rot. I thought the worst I would have to shim the hinges like I have on trucks before. Well the new door doesnt come close to closing. The pillar hits the top making the bottom front of the door fall below the rocker. So I took a measurement from top of pillar to top of the door on new and old. The new door is high by 3/8. Should I just bend it down or cut the weld at the front of the door and have it tacked after fitting. I know aftermarket sheetmetal is fair at best so I'm somewhat prepared for this challenge. Any suggestions appreciated.
bl705k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Re: door alignment issues

Pics would be a big help. I would use cutting and welding as a last resort. Every door seems to be different to every truck. Do your hinges have any play in them? Just by reading your description it sounds like you may need to add a shim at the body mounts at the front of the bed. Post some pics of the problem areas.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Musclerodz

Shimming the frame has everything to do with door alignment on any full frame vehicle. Blazers are especially bad because they have no top for rigidity. Start by aligning the door to the rocker, then to the quarter or "B" pillar. Once those 2 have been aligned, then worry about the "A" pillar alignment.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
jaros44sr

Is there a space where the vent window pillar meets the top of the door, sorta like an indentation where the pillar could go down in further?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
bl705k

Here's a pic of the top of the door pillar. I've got the old door and new door side by side. Looks like I have to do some cutting to mirror the old door. Also the top piece welded to the vent window pillar is 1/2'' longer than orginal. Hope to get it somewhere in the ballpark tonite. Got fresh supply of patients and plenty of cold beer keep you posted
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

This might help a little.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273729

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Wow, the new is surprisingly different from the old - well, I guess not that surprising knowing how bad some of the repop stuff is.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
bl705k

Hey Big J, your how to thread on turning truck doors into blazers definitely came in handy. Thanks for taking the time for making a great thread.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
jcfoote60

YEP...repop blues. I feel your pain! been there for sure. last year a lot of work was done to two blazer doors here to get them to fit. Order of process was new mounts, torque to specs, replaced OEM shims in original locations and fit new LMC doors....NOT! so tweaking of doors, removal of shims...got there after much frustration. Top on and bolted helped of course but still it's the same old thing, re-pops just don't make the grade to OEM. I ended up finding OEM blazer doors with no rust and no speaker holes and they pretty much bolted right up after only minor massaging and adjustment. my new sheemetal doors are still in my barn waiting to be put back on Craigslist...winter is over and time to start selling stuff. they ended up fitting fine after all the tweaks, cutting and re-welding a front post...but nothing like original metal in my book.
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote