The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
Flyin Sparkplug

Exclamation lowering idea abandoned...

As you all know, well i think, my '76 Scottsdale 2x4 was going to originally be chopped at the ankles and slammed to the ground, but the need has elevated for a work truck here around the house, and i refuse to use my fathers Ford Ranger(i said a bad word...) so the "big bowtie" is becoming the all around chore buster, this got me thinking...

What if i could make this truck 4x4, and make it even more useful here around the property, this would be get if i could do it, has anyone done a swap like this? Could you tell me what you did, pics are always good(yes i know this will require a vast amount of work and a parts truck(axles,transfer case,driveshafts, so on) but i would like to now how much trouble it would truly be...

-1976 Scottsdale Camper Special

"To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid"
Flyin Sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
westie 666

Re: lowering idea abandoned...

Hey man swallow your pride and use the ranger for the hard work then you get to keep your truck how you want it.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
BowTieOgre

For the work involved I would say just buy a beater 4wd and lower the 2wd...or you could suffer thru the Ranger.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
SBTork
Garage wrench

a ranger would be a decent work/daily truck. Im the same though, if I don't want to drive it, I won't. If I were you i'd sell the ranger and get a cheap ol' fo by fo.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Flyin Sparkplug

but the point is, at this time, the truck needs to b used as is, and i would like to make is a 4x4, this is what im wondering if i could do. Of course if i really needed to do work, yes i could use the ranger, but this truck was made for work. None the less, is my idea of 4x4 possible? Yes, much work is to be had, but im not worried about this. (also, i want to learn this stuff, for i plan to go to college to become a diesel mechanic)

Old 04-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Pyrotechnic

Possible, but lots of work. You can probably buy ANOTHER 73-87 4x4 beater to do all your dirty work for what it would cost. Bet you could pick up a beater 4x4 longbed for $1000-$1500 or maybe less. Seriously, with gas prices the way they are, people are ditching these trucks left and right.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
streetstar

If you have to ask if that conversion is possible on an internet forum like this -- you probably don't need to be attempting it.

But seriously, it would take you less time to save the cash and buy one than it would for you to compile all the parts to frankenstein your truck.-- unless you could buy a complete 4-by rolling chassis, tranny and transfer case to put your body on. That will be expensive too, after you rebuild the differentials, transfer case and front end components.

What the heck kind of work are ya doing where a 4wd is needed anyway? Wouldnt a tractor work better? (but i live in cattle country, where most of the field work is done from 2wd duallys --- and tractors are used for the hard stuff-- so i understand if agriculture techniques are different in other regions)

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 04-02-2008 at 07:29 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
86 GMG

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Prerunner1982

you could put HD front coils on it and run 31-32" tires. Not exactly a 4x4 but a bit higher and more agressive than a stock 2wd. Check my signature for a link to pics of my 82..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #10
Flyin Sparkplug

Yes, im pretty aware that a conversion like that is possible, thank you, i was looking for tips and advice of those who have done something like this.

thank you Prerunner1982 for your advice, and nice '82, looks like heck of a runner.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #11
Prerunner1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Sparkplug View Post
. thank you Prerunner1982 for your advice, and nice '82, looks like heck of a runner.
Thanks... it was until the frame cracked.. which leads me to my next suggestion.. IF you put larger tires on it.. 4x4 or 4x2 doesnt matter.. Put a steering box brace on it. From ORD as well.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Old 04-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
streetstar

Quote:
Yes, im pretty aware that a conversion like that is possible, thank you, i was looking for tips and advice of those who have done something like this.

Anybody who has done this before will tell you not to do it. Buy a rolling 4x4 chassis from a similar vehicle and put your body on it. That would take a cherry picker, a friend or two , and a couple of weekends worth of time

now go play in the street

Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #13
Flyin Sparkplug

im sry that im tryin to do something productive with my time. This is what i live for, and like everyone else, i enjoy it like no other. Is there any one who would like to answer my question in a civilized manor that has done this b4 or helped some one do so, im not looking for hear-say like what i have been getting. thank you

Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
vintagesteel

yes i know this will require a vast amount of work and a parts truck(axles,transfer case,driveshafts, so on) but i would like to now how much trouble it would truly be...[/QUOTE]

everybody has told you how much trouble it going to be, but that's not what you want to hear. What you want is for someone to say "cool idea". Is there some reason why you would buy a 4wd truck just to use the parts to convert a 2wd? Yes, it can be done. you have to remove your front suspension,crossmember, attatch spring mounts, steering, transfercase front driveshaft(don't 4wd have bigger trans humps?) They're just saying it doesn't make sence when you can buy 4wds all day long on craiglist cheap. Then you still have yours.
vintagesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
Pyrotechnic

It's been done. The frames are the same, but the holes for 4x4 aren't drilled on a 2WD frame. You need to make templates with the 4x4 frame, mark and drill holes on the 2WD frame, and mount all your parts.

You need a 4x4 specific transmission. They have a special output shaft. A 2WD transmission won't work unless you tear it ALL THE WAY down to change the output shaft, which at that point you need to do a full rebuild.

Obviously you need the 4x4 drive shafts, front and rear.

4x4 trucks had a higher transmission tunnel for the cab, so prepare to get that too.

4x4 spring hangers are different in the rear to achieve ride height, so you need those too.

Your new front axle will be a 6 lug, so you can either get a matching rear end or just swap axles in your current rear.

New axles are 6 lug so you need to get a new set of wheels and tires.

See why picking up a cheap and running 4x4 beater truck for around $1000 is a lot easier ? You hand over the cash, you drive it home, and with a few hours investment, you got a 4x4. Not only does your 2WD stay nice, but you come out thousands of dollars and many man hours of time ahead.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
streetstar

Quote:
im sry that im tryin to do something productive with my time.

Sparkplug -- we're tryin to keep you "flyin" on the right track to be productive with your time. Didn't mean to put ya on edge or sound like an a---hole.
When i was a kid , i did this and it was a PIA. As well, i have gone the other way and converted a Blazer to 2wd.

The Blazer to 2wd thing is different because 2wd Blazers are pretty rare, and the conversion can be worth the effort, but in the case of a truck - there are so many out there begging for a home, it is almost like going to the pound to adopt a dog.

Trust me -- buying all the 4wd parts from a salvage yard is not going to be a walk in the park either. Far better is to buy a donor vehicle, but as i was saying -- many of the components from the donor vehicle will need attention anyway , or your newly converted vehicle will feel like a dilapidated POS (piece of crap), and with the need for a different tranny, etc. --- even if the donor vehicle needs a little tlc and a freshening up of the engine -- your still miles ahead just buying another 4-by to use around the farm.

2nd best would be to completely swap frames , as i mentioned earlier --- 4 x 4's are not rare and its not that complex a procedure. If your donor vehicle is good mechanically, but has a roached out body -- that may be a good route to go --- but in your original post -- you stated that this was to be used around the farm for work -- not for profilin on the strip. In that case, the condition of the body wouldn't matter as much --- so the same money you would spend on brakes, tie rods, tranny and t-case seals etc. you would have to spend anyway to do a conversion, you could just do to the donor truck and have 2 vehicles --- one for work and one for hauling a-- .

I have spent enough time on this and the only reason i spent so many words was that i re-read my response to your post and thought i came off a little like a jerk, and this board in general is not like that -- although i am a somewhat sarcastic person so sometimes it is tough to hold back

Later on dude -- If or when you get your donor vehicle/parts or whatever squared up, post some pics and a few of us on here can help out a bit more maybe with some of the nitty gritty specifics, but Pyrotechnics post covered a lot of it.

Trust me, in the real world -- its better to be this guy

than this guy

Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post

Trust me, in the real world -- its better to be this guy

than this guy
ROFL !!!
Old 04-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #18
Flyin Sparkplug

so this thread has deffinately gotten me looking into other options, and i fell upon this truck, i know its not a 73-87, but i am thinking about going and looking at this truck

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/car/622809851.html

Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #19
streetstar

Quote:
so this thread has deffinately gotten me looking into other options, and i fell upon this truck, i know its not a 73-87, but i am thinking about going and looking at this truck

That thing would be righteous if you could cover that kind of action (4500.00)

The '67-72's are going up in value, while the 73-87's are kind of stuck in limbo unless they are really special

Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
Mkcustums

Quote:

That's a lot of $$ and kinda too nice for a "chore buster" for around your property. Buy a beater for cheap, and put the other $3500 into the one you have. Just my opinion... (totally not telling you what to do)

Something like these are here all day long! Found them in like 2 minutes. You can also find better in the same price range, I just added the links for a point. Saves a lot of money for parts to lower or whatever to the 2wd.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/629434355.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/629178819.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/628077170.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/626661175.html
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #21
Flyin Sparkplug

if anyone is still watching this thread, i was wondering whats the tallest tire you could get on a stock height 2x4 truck w/o rubbing and all that wonderful stuff. Just trying to get the right tire the first time around, because the last time i checked, tires aren't cheap...

Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #22
Prerunner1982

With HD coils (which are a stock item) I ran 31x11.50x15s with no rub. 32x11.50x15 with a slight rub on the upper fender lip ( I hammered it slightly up so it wouldnt cut the tread) and on the inner fender.
Oklahoma Roll Call