The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Solo

Well heres the idea... and I'll be bringing it to you one update at a time :)

Ok so I found me a truck for $1200. It's a 72 and its beat pretty bad, the windshields been shot, one of the tires is flat and the inside is real rough. But it runs and theirs hardly any rust so I figured thats an insanely good price! And since I'm tight on cash anyway its probably better to go with this one than the '67 I mentioned in my previous thread.

If all goes as planned I should get it thursday, and then I can start turning it into a drag truck.

As far as cash goes I have $3,050 total. So minus the cost of the truck I've got $1,850 left for upgrades. Where would be the best place to start with that cash?

Last edited by Solo; 04-03-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
BigDaddyDave
RIP BigDaddyDave ~7-23-09~ You will be missed~

Re: Well heres the idea... and I'll be bringing it to you one update at a time :)

I always start with the basics first,the motor gets tuned,the fluids changed,battery checked etc. I do everything i can to keep the high dollar tow truck away.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
wibilly

Re: Well heres the idea... and I'll be bringing it to you one update at a time :)

what are you gonna drag with it? with that budget you surly don't mean you wanna race it
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Longhorn321
Size Matters

ROTHFLMAO@wibilly!

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Start with the obvious(windshield) and a tune up and save some for insurance and registration.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
dan42

shortbed or longbed? pix, dude, you know the rules!

Last edited by dan42; 04-03-2008 at 07:15 AM.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
ed2552

And if the interior is bad, if you can, do something about that, too. You want to be comfortable
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Solo

Yes I mean I want to race it. And I'll put more into it as I get the money to do so. What I mean is that after purchasing the truck thursday, I'll have $1,850 immediately available to start gettin' it ready to race and what I'm asking is where would be a good place to start.

Also I've already priced insurance and all the neccesary stuff and rounded it up so when I say $1,850, I mean those are funds available purely for putting into upgrading the truck, after all neccesary costs have been taken care of.

Chip, def. gonna get a new window and new set of tires as well as get it lowered (this guys got it jacked sky high, which theres nothing wrong with that, but its not great for dragging imo).

Dan, its a short bed.. and pics are on the way lol!

one more question.. Anybody know what a supercharger (one worth wile) would cost? or in the ball park of?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Go through the brakes. Stopping is underrated til ya really need to...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
one more question.. Anybody know what a supercharger (one worth wile) would cost? or in the ball park of?
Roots type or Centrifugal? Not that it matters economically- I would expect to spend between 3-5 grand for either a good dual carbed roots type blower or centrifugal type with charge cooler. Granted- you'll spend almost that much getting the long-block put together to handle and take advantage of any sort of significant boost.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
dirtboy488

I assume by your posts you have never drag raced or built a drag car/truck. This is what I would do if it were me:

1) Make sure the brakes and suspension are in good working order.

2) Make sure the engine and trans are ok and do not need to be rebuilt. Replace all the belst and fluids.

3) Make the rest of the truck road worthy i.e. Glass, seatbelts, seat, pedals ect.

4) put some new tires on it and get a good alignment.

If it has a stock 350/350 combo or somthing similar I would expect it ti run maybie a low 17 in the 1/4 but these are all details you need to post if you want help.

Last edited by dirtboy488; 04-03-2008 at 09:16 PM.
dirtboy488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Chip, def. gonna get a new window and new set of tires as well as get it lowered
Buzzer sound...budget blown.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
streetstar

Quote:
1500 for a nice rebuilt GMC 6-71 roots blower, another 350 for the manifolds and carb adapters, 5- 600 or more for the carbs, then $3000 minimum for a long block built to take advantage of the supercharger

Its more money for a name (B&M, Weiand, etc.) supercharger

Here is a good classified website for you -- www.racingjunk.com -- hours of fun there, but used racing stuff is always "caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Buzzer sound...budget blown.

It goes quick.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
weasle

I don't know what part of NC you're in but you can go to the Charlotte Auto Fair this weekend and pick up some parts. http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/
weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
96blazr

Quote:
Yes I mean I want to race it. And I'll put more into it as I get the money to do so. I'll have $1,850 immediately available to start gettin' it ready to race and what I'm asking is where would be a good place to start.!

Anybody know what a supercharger (one worth wile) would cost?

Listen Solo, let what most of these guys are saying roll off your back, cause you gotta remember, in their world (Their's and Mine) having someone say the things you're saying and asking for is something we don't read everyday. Don't let it get you down either, cause you can build this truck into anything you want, but you gotta realize, and I mean you HAVE to realize, that what you're wanting to do and what you have in money resources is....well, not gonna get it.

I know, I know, you're saying how you'll spend more on it as you get more, but trying to race this thing this season is a long shot. Now, you should follow what DirtBoy488 says. Get it ROADWORTHY first, then you can build it better and SAFER. I'm telling too, you show up at the track with some thrown together POS and the Tech inspection will send you home real quick.

Look man, It's cool to dream, we're not trying to bust your bubble, just listen to ones who know what they're talking about. TAKE YOUR TIME and for Gods sake use the K.I.S.S. method.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
haysonj

Procharger claims to work on stock engine in a healthy condition. 500 HP with 5 psi boost and an intercooler on 91 octane. Cost about $5000 complete. I have one on my boat running 7 psi boost no problems in 4 years. Here's there link www.procharger.com
Add that's on a small block with a carburetor
Attached Images

Last edited by haysonj; 04-03-2008 at 08:38 PM.
haysonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #18
chevy72blu

Im still not quite clear if this is going to be used as transportation as well as a weekend warrior, if it is, prepare it for the first and plan for the latter.

If you are looking for a vehicle to just beat the strip up in, buying one of these trucks isnt the best investment. Many of us (including myself) race these trucks, but only with a ton of $$$ in them and something to prove. I love the looks that I get on the track in my 72, but the guys in the Fox body stang's, 3rd gen camaros, ect, ect are getting twice the time slip for half the price, if you get what im saying.

67-72's are heavy, about as aerodynamic as a rolling brick, and have very little weight over the rear. Its not a good budget drag racing platform. Of course, a nasty power plant, some serious weight reduction, well tuned suspension, balast, ect can correct for these things, but BUDGET is key.

For instance, a friend of mine I raced with in high school had a lat 80's Fox that he had maybe 1500 dollars in (including the price of the car) that would pull mid-high 13's. Back then, I was drooling about those numbers.

My 1/2 ton 72 SWB fleet went mid 17's on the stock 350 crate[Edel 1406 carb and Performer RPM intake/headers/TH350 trans/3.23 gears]. Over a thousand dollars later in heads, cam, gears, posi, and tires, I was running 15.5's. Just to give you an idea.

Now I've built a 550 HP 496 BBC (Probably... 1500-2000 in it. I've kept it on a budget via several methods), with a 150 hp shot of nitrous and I dont expect to do much better than a low 12. I cant forget to mention that Im going to need to completely overhaul the rear suspension and upgrade the front, move the battery, and relocate the fuel cell before I ever get close to hooking it up on a 14.5 inch wide DOT slick.

Ive been where you are, just trying to throw out some advice. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
Procharger claims to work on stock engine in a healthy condition. 500 HP with 5 psi boost and an intercooler on 91 octane. Cost about $5000 complete. I have one on my boat running 7 psi boost no problems in 4 years. Here's there link www.procharger.com
Add that's on a small block with a carburetor
Edit: Thats a nice mill! Whats it in?

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 04-03-2008 at 10:41 PM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
haysonj

2003 Genesis 23 ft open bow 383 stroker 70 + MPH on water 55 on the road
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #20
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
2003 Genesis 23 ft open bow 383 stroker 70 + MPH on water 55 on the road
DAYUM thats gorgeous! My family doesnt really give a damn about drag racing, but boats are another story. My dad has a 2000 28 ft. Chapparel cuddy cabin with a single 500 HP MPI 454. 55-57 with a slight chop, trimmed well, electric cut-outs open, and the top down. I've been inching him closer to modding the motor for a while now, but its not really what the boat was designed for.

Ive been halfway considering a jet boat project with a few of my buddies.. Theres just nothin like goin fast on the water.

Edit: Forgot to mention how bad ass the matching paint is!

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 04-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #21
HoupPhotography

Yeah man, it sounds like you have a long way to go with what you want to do. Look through some of the builds on here and get an idea of what YOU want, make a list of what you need with prices and get to work.

Eventhough you want to race the truck, that is stil wide open! My race mechanic used to ask me, "How fast can you afford to go"? A drag race build, like any other, cna go from mild to wild. To put in in perspective, you can stay within your budget or spend $30-$40k plus!

Good luck dude, keep us posted!

BTW - We DEMAND photos.....lol!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #22
streetstar

You could test the waters with a plate style nitrous system if your engine is healthy and you really want a power adder for the track, after you get the truck running and driving good

Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #23
SCOTI

Geez guys, he only said he wants to race it not win the fastest streetcar shoot-out.

Get it road worthy, take it to the track, enjoy the truck & see what it will do. That's racing. It may not be fast, but he'll still be racing. Beats the heck out of sitting around watching others racing/having fun & can definitely be done on his current budget.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-04-2008 at 03:01 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 AM   #24
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Geez guys, he only said he wants to race it not win the fastest streetcar shoot-out.

He did inquire about a blower though, meaning he would probably like to run faster than a stock Chevy cavalier bracket car

Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #25
Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
He did inquire about a blower though, meaning he would probably like to run faster than a stock Chevy cavalier bracket car
haha yes I would.

Heres the good news, got an extra $500 so the total money on hand for upgrades after buying the truck would be up to $2,350.

The not so good news. After reading all the posts I'm starting to think I should get the 67 I found earlier because the engines is brand spanking new corvette engine (I think chevy uses the ls6's in the vettes, right?) and the glass is good and the tires are new.

The bad news. The 67 would eat up more of the money by itself, I'd only have $850 left for upgrades... i guess a few months saving though and I could bolt in a supercharger.

Hmmm.... What to do, what to do.

By the way, if I don't get to race competively this year thats fine, this a long term project (and I suspect its gonna be a crazy one lol) but I figure I'll take it out on the weekends to the local track a do some passes. The plan here is to start one step up from scratch and build on that over a year or so. I'm also planning on starting a business specifically for racing old trucks in the next year or two.