The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Hittman

body swappin

I am in the process of switching the body of my 1970 C-20 4-Speed to a 1971 K-20 frame. All is going well (though I haven’t had enough time to work on it lately it seems....). The sb and 4-speed tranny are bolted in finally now I just need to hook up the brake lines, and bolt on the PS pump/alternater/carb etc. With that complete I am ready for the body swap.

I understand that the engine/tranny sit back further on a 4x4 chassis. Will I be able to use my factory 4-speed hump? I know I need to cut a hole for the transfer case shift lever but my concern now is the tranny shifter will be back a few inches as well. From what I can tell the 4-speed in this frame is the same as what was in my C-20. I actually have an extra hump which someone already hacked a hole for the trans case shifter. It seems that the tranny hole is in the same place.

Also where is a good place to obtain the shifter boot items and a knob for the transfer case shifter? Neither came with this frame I have.

One more thing – what kind of badges were on 1970 K-20’s? Mine currently has a C-20 emblem with the 8-350 emblem below on the lower rear of each front fender. I have never seen a K-20 emblem on one of these. Do I just need to get the 4-Wheel Drive emblem and locate it under the marker lights and remove the C-20 emblems for a factory look? Any pics of the correct markings?

I'll try to get some pictures of my progress out there some time soon.

Thanks again for all your help here.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: body swappin

other than the 4 wheel drive badge, you already have the correct badging. C/20 would have been on a K/20. The C and K are vin and model number reference... never badges as so. The only ones badged with a K, were blazers, and they said K if the were 2 wheel drive or 4X4.
Crazy huh?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Ace in the hole

the 4 speed does sit back a little farther. i don't think you will be able to use the 2wd hole and still make it work.
as for the knob & boot, try one of the site vendors. I think most of them have them.
Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Hittman

Yeah, this whole "K" thing doesn't make much sense but I guess that would explain why I have never seen a "K" on any of these trucks except for the K5 Blazers. Were the half ton 4x4's the same way? C-10's? Thanks for the clarification.

Hey Ace, I see you too are working on a 1970 K-20. May I ask how your progress is going? Got any pics for encouragement?

I've posted a couple of these pics in another thread but here is what I have so far. Actually I now have the engine purdied up and bolted in the frame. Should be swapping the body soon once I line up enough guys.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
odog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
other than the 4 wheel drive badge, you already have the correct badging. C/20 would have been on a K/20. The C and K are vin and model number reference... never badges as so. The only ones badged with a K, were blazers, and they said K if the were 2 wheel drive or 4X4.
Crazy huh?
I am confused, is that a 1970 thing only. My 67 came with K-20 badges on the fenders. I thought that all 3/4 ton 4x4s were K-20's. Only wondering as I am swapping a 72 2wd to a 4wd frame and want to try to make the badges right.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
odog

Doh nover mind. I just looked again at my 67. Apperently when you have a beer or two the bowtie over the 20 loooks like a K in certian lighting. Sorry for the dumb question.