The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
NuBomb

Too much assist?

I've got a 72 K5 with no lift. My power steering provides too much assist. You have to really stay on top of it when you drive it. I'd like to improve the drivability since it is now my daily driver, but I don't want to just throw parts at it. A direction on which way to go would be appreciated.
I've had it checked out and the mechanic said the steering components were fine and had it aligned. I am thinking about replacing the gearbox and hoping for the best. What do ya'll think?

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
qksilver

Re: Too much assist?

The assist comes from the pump, if you remove the pressure hose from the pump you will see a large nut that screws into the pump housing. If you remove this you will see a valve, that is what controls how much pressure the pump puts out. Talk to some of the pump rebuilders and get a different control valve. A lot cheaper and easier than replacing the box.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
bdozeraz

The guy that rebuilt my steering box told me there is a tortion bar in the input shaft to the box. As the bar flexes with steering input it opens valves to direct the flow of fluid from the pump. The lighter the tortion bar the more fluid is directed and the easier the steering feel. Cutting back on pump pressure might help but you may need to have the input on the box changed to get the feel you want.
bdozeraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
NuBomb

Just an update in case anyone else has a simillar problem. I changed out the gearbox due to a leak, and the steering is 100% better. It drives like a totally different truck. Now my wife can drive it if she wants. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Thanks.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote