The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #1
Slammed70

Angry rant

Yeah, I may be young....but Im not stupid, why do older people who have been wrenching their whole life treat us younger people who havent been around like were idiots and dont know anything?

And why do they poeple who dont even know how to change their own oil always have an opinion about whats wring with your truck?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
ed2552

Re: Angry rant

Because they think they are right and that they know everything
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
ed2552

I hate people like that, but this is the wrong board, Moderators, move this to the General Discussion
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
89 crew

Old people are thinking back to when they were your age and how little they knew. They figure you can't possibly be as good as they were. Don't write the old know it alls off! They know all sorts of tricks that can make life easier. It will take a while to get respect from them, but it is worth the time!

Far as the ones that can't change their own oil, Who cares? They are easy to spot. Just try to avoid conversations with them. If the conversation is unavoidable let them spew useless bs and ignore it.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed70 View Post
Yeah, I may be young....but Im not stupid, why do older people who have been wrenching their whole life treat us younger people who havent been around like were idiots and dont know anything?

And why do they poeple who dont even know how to change their own oil always have an opinion about whats wring with your truck?
I guess you just have to treat these people like you think the older people treat you. In all seriousness you have way too much anger for a young person. this is a fun hobby and everyone on here will give you any help you ask for even us old guys
Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

some older people may have alot more experience and be able to teach you a few things.. at the very least maybe you should listen to them and thank them for their input even if it is not what qwhat you want to hear... i n a few years you may be that old fart who knows it all and some young whippersnapper may be the wisebehind who thinks they do but dont know half as much as they think they do.. a wise man can learn something from anyone

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
71big block
1971 GMC 3/4 ton, 572 CID

I am that old fart and we do it because it fun picking on the kids!

"We always have parts left over on a job this size"
71big block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
larry may

Smile Re: Angry rant

Yeah! I get tired of hearing this noise too. About 20 years ago I asked a 17 year old ." How did you get to be so smart in 17 years" he really didn't know. This noise stopped that day.
We laugh about that conversation these days. 17 years - 24 Know everything 35 find out knew a little bit when was 30 turn 60 find out never knew anything. Good luck with the old dudes..........

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
berencam

I'm 21 and the only thing i do know is that i dont know anything. I've learned enough in the past 3 years on my own to realize i dont know anything. The general concensus in young kids today is that they do know what they are doing, but the majority of the time they dont(preps). Its up to you to prove the old guys wrong, and be the mature person you think they should view you as.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
larry may

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
I'm 21 and the only thing i do know is that i dont know anything. I've learned enough in the past 3 years on my own to realize i dont know anything. The general concensus in young kids today is that they do know what they are doing, but the majority of the time they dont(preps). Its up to you to prove the old guys wrong, and be the mature person you think they should view you as.
berencam you are a stand up person. Good for you.

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #11
Slammed70

Im not saying I know everything. Im saying I shouldnt be treated like **** because I dont.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
larry may

Smile Re: Angry rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed70 View Post
Im not saying I know everything. Im saying I shouldnt be treated like **** because I dont.
Providing you are talking about co-workers picking at you that is normal in a lot of shops. They may see you as competition in the work enviorment. Or they just like you and pickat you. Laughit off . If its customers telling you this then see your boss,

You really did not say where or who is bumrapping you. So if you think on that mabe you want to tell the whole story. I for one will clue you in most OLD people I know generally praise a young person That has a job and do support that for younger workers. Now if you were in a bar had a few beers and running your mouth then well mabe ya had it coming. This is at the time left open ended by you. And sounds like a personal issue. Old people are just set in their ways..............my .00002%

Be a site supporter.

Last edited by larry may; 04-06-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Ever dropped the pan on an old Chevy because the rods were knocking?
And when the rod caps were pulled you realized there were no more shims to remove?
So, as a result, you scraped the rod caps across the concrete, wiped it clean & reinstalled with some plastigage; then when you had clearances was right, you reinstalled it permanently?
Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?
A bunch of us have.

We're old. "Back in the day", we had to be mechanics, not replacement artists.

There's a lot to learn from the old farts.

And we old farts are still reading, listening, and learning.

You now have my .02.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 04-06-2008 at 06:49 AM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
You are wise beyond your years!

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #15
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

take it to oprah !!

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
jrb71c20

I can pee my name in cursive

If it don't have round headlights and a carb, I don't trust it!
jrb71c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #17
BillGent
Pretty But Evil Doggy Woggy.

Why do older guys mess with you? Because it's fun to watch you get upset about it.. thats why.

Learn to laugh at yourself. Make fun of yourself when you do something dumb.

This is all tied up in your self esteem. learn to let it go, life's easier that way.

You think you know more about life than a 12 year old?

Well.. most old farts feel the same way about you..because they DO know more. It's life. Quit taking it personally. It takes practice but you can do it.

Last edited by BillGent; 04-06-2008 at 07:34 AM.
BillGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Ever dropped the pan on an old Chevy because the rods were knocking?
And when the rod caps were pulled you realized there were no more shims to remove?
So, as a result, you scraped the rod caps across the concrete, wiped it clean & reinstalled with some plastigage; then when you had clearances was right, you reinstalled it permanently?
Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?
A bunch of us have.

We're old. "Back in the day", we had to be mechanics, not replacement artists.

There's a lot to learn from the old farts.

And we old farts are still reading, listening, and learning.

You now have my .02.

El Jay
Wow El Jay, you nailed this one. I remember doing just that on that 'ol '59 willys...(remember that one?)

Slammmed70, dont take this wrong, but we know more cause we have been there and done that. I myself will never, ever belittle someone cause they haven't had the experience that I have. Anyone that does that to you should not be on your list of helpers.... Sorry you feel the way you do...Off the soap box.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #19
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Jones View Post
Wow El Jay, you nailed this one. I remember doing just that on that 'ol '59 willys...(remember that one?)

Slammmed70, dont take this wrong, but we know more cause we have been there and done that. I myself will never, ever belittle someone cause they haven't had the experience that I have. Anyone that does that to you should not be on your list of helpers.... Sorry you feel the way you do...Off the soap box.
Thanks for the props, Primo!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #20
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

seems to be a bunch of grumpy old folks around here

slammed, slow down, count to 3000, go for a walk, kick a garbage can then come back and tell us what happened. You will get a much better response that way. Plus typing it out is venting and can help.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #21
rambler
MOVE OVER

well I'm 43, middle of the road I guess, there are younger ones who know more than me and older ones as well.. most of the really "smart" ones dont brag how smart they are at either age.. sometimes they are slower to offer help as well, its the same story though, when I was learning 25-30 years ago... the oldies then treated me like they treat you.. its a little bit of human nature.. (not everyone is like this).. you got to find the humble smart people that will take the time to work with you, teach you something. and let you make a few mistakes... thats how everyone learns...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #22
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
seems to be a bunch of grumpy old folks around here

slammed, slow down, count to 3000, go for a walk, kick a garbage can then come back and tell us what happened. You will get a much better response that way. Plus typing it out is venting and can help.
I wouldn't say that we older folks are grumpy, Liz.
Most of us have been around the block, more than a few times.

We ain't perfect, but to have somebody complain about our life experiences and knowledge, truck, or otherwise, just doesn't settle right.
Many of the older guys/gals have forgotten more than these younger folks will ever know.

I didn't mean to rail on you; I just wanted to throw in my .02.

El Jay

Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #23
71big block
1971 GMC 3/4 ton, 572 CID

The great thing about the young ones on this board is that the're not sitting around with their underware hanging out the top of their pants playing video games. They're out working, trying to scrape together a few bucks to invest in their trucks. Someday they'll be us. We all went throught the same stuff when we were still wet behind the ears. Keep up the good work gearheads!!

"We always have parts left over on a job this size"
71big block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #24
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71big block View Post
The great thing about the young ones on this board is that the're not sitting around with their underware hanging out the top of their pants playing video games. They're out working, trying to scrape together a few bucks to invest in their trucks. Someday they'll be us. We all went throught the same stuff when we were still wet behind the ears. Keep up the good work gearheads!!
True 'nuff!
No argument!

There are some that just start off on the wrong foot.
But, I'm confident that they'll see the light.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #25
wugunguy
70 C/10-Work in progress

Remember one thing-never argue with an idiot, first they drag you down to their level and then they beat you with experience.
1970 Chevy C/10-Current project
wugunguy is offline   Reply With Quote