The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
Low83

Question Saddle Tanks, Dual Fill.

Have the saddle tanks on my Silverado and remember a few moons ago Traders Trucks used to carry a kit that allowed you to fill both tanks at once, it was a cross over pipe that connected both filler necks, Traders doesn't sell it anymore so does anybody remember seeing a kit like this anywhere???
Low83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 04:19 PM   #2
PHOENIX

That sounds like a great kit. Be sure to post here if you find it.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:35 PM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I've never heard of that but I bet it would be a big seller.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:31 AM   #4
Prerunner1982

dual tank fill....

ive thought about this before but with where the tanks are mounted and where the necks go, i believe it would either have to go down under the frame then back up on the other side. being routed around the driveshaft, or go through a large hole cut through the frame..i have yet to figure out way this would work, well of course a bodylift was put on and the bed was raised away from the frame..but i am against that...

jon
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:03 AM   #5
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

I remember seeing the kit and thought about getting one--it was back around 1994 or so and, if I recall correctly, the kit was somewhat pricey (like $300 or so), so I never ordered one. Haven't seen one advertised since.
2006 Suburban LTZ (daily driver)
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Wonder why people look at us funny when we pull up with the passenger side tank?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:27 AM   #7
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I know people hate it when I take up the whole row between two gas pumps and fill up both at the same time. Man it's $$$ but no stopping for a long time on a trip

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: Saddle Tanks, Dual Fill.

Old thread, still looking for the KIT
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
kstephens1223

it is an old thread, but that would be nice to have, im plannin on making my own bed cover out of diamondplate, and i figure i can make a small partition at the front of the bed, bring both filler necks up through the bed floor, then run the passenger side filler across inside the partition and have both necks side by side at the front of the bed on the drivers side.

It's easier to apologize than ask permission...
kstephens1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

My cousin bought that kit for his 77 SWB. It didn't work for diddly, reasons I can't remember. He pulled it after a few months, IIRC. I used him as the guinea pig, to see if it was worth getting for my truck. I went with a 26.5 gallon Transfer-Flow tank, instead.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
ARAMP1
ROCK*STAR

I always wanted to do something like this. I've heard of guys running a hose from the bottom of one tank to the bottom of the other and there were complaints when you parked on uneven ground and it took forever to fill up because it would cross over to the other tank. Seems like a 2" pipe from filler neck to filler neck might just do it. And I had to do a 3" body lift to fit the transmission. Hmmmmmm.
ARAMP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
tucsonjwt

Just convert your box to a dump bed. Lift the bed, pass the gas pump hose across the frame, fill up the other side - as long as the gas pump hose is long enough.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
ARAMP1
ROCK*STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Just convert your box to a dump bed. Lift the bed, pass the gas pump hose across the frame, fill up the other side - as long as the gas pump hose is long enough.
Don't know if you're joking or not, butthats actually pretty sweet.
Posted via Mobile Device
ARAMP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
406 Q-ship

I did a dual filler on my 74 SWB. It started life as a right side tank truck. I got a second tank (actually I got 2 tanks to not down the truck), cleaned them of all fuel and welded in a 3/4 NPT bung in the bottom front edge of both tanks. Do not put the bung in the bottom of the tank or something could break off the fitting (that would be really bad). I drilled a hole in the frame at the approximatly the transmisson crossmember, then ran a steel braided -8 hose under the truck clamped to the trans crossmember. You have to interconnect the vent hoses for both tanks so they can vent out of whichever side you are filling, if you don't do this step you could end up taking a bath in fuel when the other sides tank burbs the air through the crossover hose (I learned this when filling aircraft tip tanks). No need to buy a kit it is a pretty simple modification, once you get pass the pucker factor welding on used fuel tanks.

I did this modification for two reasons. One I am too lazy to fill the second tank. Two I am too cheap to buy a crossover valve. Actually I thought of doing a EFI on this truck at one time but using the crossover and two EFI fuel pumps was too expensive the hoses are nutz on an TBI dual tank truck. Biggest down side to this, you have put at least 10 gallons in the truck when gassing up, if the truck gets tilted to the left the fuel will run away from the pickup in the right tank when fuel is low. I do not recommend this mod on a lifted or 4x4 truck that get rockcrawled.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Last edited by 406 Q-ship; 08-30-2011 at 02:40 AM.
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #15
kstephens1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
I did a dual filler on my 74 SWB. It started life as a right side tank truck. I got a second tank (actually I got 2 tanks to not down the truck), cleaned them of all fuel and welded in a 3/4 NPT bung in the bottom front edge of both tanks. Do not put the bung in the bottom of the tank or something could break off the fitting (that would be really bad). I drilled a hole in the frame at the approximatly the transmisson crossmember, then ran a steel braided -8 hose under the truck clamped to the trans crossmember. You have to interconnect the vent hoses for both tanks so they can vent out of whichever side you are filling, if you don't do this step you could end up taking a bath in fuel when the other sides tank burbs the air through the crossover hose (I learned this when filling aircraft tip tanks). No need to buy a kit it is a pretty simple modification, once you get pass the pucker factor welding on used fuel tanks.

I did this modification for two reasons. One I am too lazy to fill the second tank. Two I am too cheap to buy a crossover valve. Actually I thought of doing a EFI on this truck at one time but using the crossover and two EFI fuel pumps was too expensive the hoses are nutz on an TBI dual tank truck. Biggest down side to this, you have put at least 10 gallons in the truck when gassing up, if the truck gets tilted to the left the fuel will run away from the pickup in the right tank when fuel is low. I do not recommend this mod on a lifted or 4x4 truck that get rockcrawled.
thats a cool idea, but wouldnt it take a long time to fill from one tank to the other through a 3/4" line??

It's easier to apologize than ask permission...
kstephens1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens1223 View Post
thats a cool idea, but wouldnt it take a long time to fill from one tank to the other through a 3/4" line??
Nope, think about this the fuel nozzle is only about 3/4" in diameter. It takes time to fill becasue it now takes 32 gallons.....expensive too.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

the RG's that the military use's have two tanks and one filler , it's a 1" cross over on the lower side's of the tank's, been think'n bout try'n it on mine.
on the RG however it does take for ever to fill both tank's.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Our square body shop truck in the air force 25 years ago was a single filler neck dual tank setup. It sucked. We had blocks of wood to drive the driver side wheels up onto so it would fill the passenger side tank completely. It probably only put 12-14 gallons in the passenger side 20 gallon tank if you didn't tip the truck a little.

I just passed the hose over the bed of the truck on my 78 K20 to fill the other tank without moving the truck. The hoses are plenty long enough to do it if you park close to the pump island.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I just fill one tank, then drive around to the other side and fill the other. I bit of a pain in the @$$ but hey it won't kill me.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
Tucson38

Mr. Newbie here. Hello to everyone.
'85 GMC 4 WD HD 3/4 - 252,000 miles. Original owner.

I'd sure like to bypass the switching device GM uses. Seems way more problematic than necessary. I'd opt for using one filler neck for both tanks.
Attached Images

Tucson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
Pyrotechnic

DirtyLarry came up with an idea I really liked. He was having trouble using the solenoid switching valve with a high pressure fuel injection pump, so he ditched the valve all together. Instead, one tank is the primary with the fuel pump send and return plumbed to it. The other tank has an electric transfer pump that will fill the primary tank.

This is the route I plan to go on my truck. If you have a nice transfer pump, I bet you could fill your secondary, transfer that fuel to the other side, then refill the secondary all without moving the truck. Might take a few extra minutes, but you'd be really surprised how fast a good electric pump can move a gallon of gas at free flow.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
DirtyLarry came up with an idea I really liked. He was having trouble using the solenoid switching valve with a high pressure fuel injection pump, so he ditched the valve all together. Instead, one tank is the primary with the fuel pump send and return plumbed to it. The other tank has an electric transfer pump that will fill the primary tank.

This is the route I plan to go on my truck. If you have a nice transfer pump, I bet you could fill your secondary, transfer that fuel to the other side, then refill the secondary all without moving the truck. Might take a few extra minutes, but you'd be really surprised how fast a good electric pump can move a gallon of gas at free flow.
A high flow 255 LPH EFI pump would take almost 18 minutes to drain a 20 gallon tank. Even my 110 GPH Holley race pump would take almost 11 minutes to transfer 20 gallons. It would be fine for a transfer pump while driving but wouldn't save you any time filling tanks.

It needs to have some type of sensor to shut it off when the tank is dry so you don't burn it out. Just a toggle switch could work but you would have to keep a close eye on it and listen for the pump to start cavitation then shut it off. It wouldn't take long to kill the pump running it dry.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
hatzie

Just get a diesel and fill at the truck pumps.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
Desert1957

The problem with any Dual tank crossover system is it needs to be the lowest thing. Which means having a crossover hanging under both tanks. it will not equalize any other way.

Big rigs use it but have twice the ground clearance we do. if you do not want the crossover tube or hose hanging under your drive line and frame , the only other option is to mount the Suburban 40 gallon tank in the rear where your spare tire would mount. then fill it from the bed.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #25
Desert1957

The problem with any Dual tank crossover system is it needs to be the lowest thing. Which means having a crossover hanging under both tanks. it will not equalize any other way.

Big rigs use it but have twice the ground clearance we do. if you do not want the crossover tube or hose hanging under your drive line and frame , the only other option is to mount the Suburban 40 gallon tank in the rear where your spare tire would mount. then fill it from the bed.

Desert

PS: my tank changeover valve just went up last month, original part on an 83 no what I can a problematic part.
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote