The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

baby steps in burb world

But... baby steps are better than nothing, right?
so I got some time today to work on the wagon today, and the weather was PERFECT... light breeze, 70-ish degrees... couldn't ask for a better day. So I was sittin there tryin to figure WHAT I could do... went out to look at it, and that big ass roll of carpet is still in the back. I figured I'd start getting it ready for the carpet.
SWEEEET!
But, not so fast.
I'm not gonna put the nice new rug on the crappy floor, not without some sreiouse prep.
So out comes the seat and the plastic mat.
This one's for you tony!

I already had it out once, so i knew what to expect.

I get the scrapers out and go to town. Scraped it all up, rubbed the painted areas with a green scotch brite pad, dug around in the nooks and crannies, and pulled out a bunch-o-crap.
Had to be carefull here. I'm too cheap... but more importantly too broke to be replacing the weatherstripping at this point.

My shop vac couldn't suck a feather off a hood, so I just went to the coin op car wash around the corner.
BTW... when did that start costing a buck?!?!?!

I've said it here before, but if you put your POR-15 in a mason jar, and make sure the lip is CLEAN before closing it... you won't waste nearly as much. A week or two ago, i did my core support. I poured the remainder in this jar. I then painted a battery tray with it yesterday, and I opened the jar again today to do this job.
I'm still on one quart.
88 cents for the paint brush. I sent my ex to harbor freight to get me a bundle... and she went to friggen wall mart instead.

Stopped 1/2 way through not only for this photo, but to text the same pic to a few ppl. Needed a cig too, those fumes are strong. I'm sure it'll be brought up... but I know how those fumes can get to you.
ok... here it is 15 min later.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-09-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Longhorn Man

Re: baby steps in burb world

So now i have plenty of time left before it gets dark. My fan clutch has been makin more and more noise, so i fugured what they heck. I popped the hood and discovered it had studs on it instead of bolts. AWESOME!!!
For those not in the know, with it having studs, I don't have to loosen the alt belt to do this since the studs will keep the pully in place. If it had bolts, then I'd have to loosen the alt, remove the belt, juggle the pully ... just a total PITA if you ask me.
Instead, i was able to simply reach in there with a 1/2 inch wrench, and loosen the nuts, and pull the whole fan out. Fan shrowd stays in place, belt stays in place.
Simple.
So I remove the clutch... and the first thing i realize, the replacement has no studs on it for mounting the fan on the clutch. No big deal... but a little more work.

To remove a stud... again, for those not in the know, you run a nut 1/2 way on, then spin another one on top of it,a nd then tighten the two together... the second one acts as a jam nut. Then, with a wrench, you loosen the whole stud by grabbing onto the lower one and twisting it out. The jam nut will keep it from spinning off the stud.
(sorry bout the fuzzy photo... at least I grabbed my digi cam and not going off my cell phone cam)

I start to run the studs into the new clutch when i notice it's the WRONG FRIGGEN CLUTCH.

I coulda spent this time hacking my dash, or talkin on the phone to a hottie... or ANYTHING woulda been more productive than undoing this for no reason.
Naturally, NAPA was closed by this time too.
So not only was that labor wasted... but i had to put it BACK together.. since the Longhorn is down for a massive coolant leak. (top hose split)
Funny part, I have a replacement hose... but it's sitting on top of my toolbox... at work.
Toss it back in, leave the windows down, then i go in and grab some grub.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM
I swear, if I couldn't nuke my food... I'd starve to death.
At least it wasn't a total bust.
I spent about 2 1/2 hrs all in all.
Money spent....
again, the POR was sitting around, so i don't count it in the tally.
I spent a buck at the coin op
88 cents on one brush.
Can't count the 46 dollars on the clutch, since it's going back.

So, total outlay for today....
$1.88.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-09-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Wow... you got a lot accomplished, looks like it was a good day in sa-BURB-ia

Besides any day with Dew and pizza rolls is a good one.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 04-09-2008 at 04:46 AM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
ed2552

Sounds like a decent day in my book
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
BigDaddyDave
RIP BigDaddyDave ~7-23-09~ You will be missed~

It takes me twice that many pizza rolls,just to get ready to do any work!

Last edited by BigDaddyDave; 04-09-2008 at 05:04 AM.
BigDaddyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
So now i have plenty of time left before it gets dark. My fan clutch has been makin more and more noise, so i fugured what they heck. I popped the hood and discovered it had studs on it instead of bolts. AWESOME!!!
For those not in the know, with it having studs, I don't have to loosen the alt belt to do this since the studs will keep the pully in place. If it had bolts, then I'd have to loosen the alt, remove the belt, juggle the pully ... just a total PITA if you ask me.
Instead, i was able to simply reach in there with a 1/2 inch wrench, and loosen the nuts, and pull the whole fan out. Fan shrowd stays in place, belt stays in place.
Simple.
So I remove the clutch... and the first thing i realize, the replacement has no studs on it for mounting the fan on the clutch. No big deal... but a little more work.

To remove a stud... again, for those not in the know, you run a nut 1/2 way on, then spin another one on top of it,a nd then tighten the two together... the second one acts as a jam nut. Then, with a wrench, you loosen the whole stud by grabbing onto the lower one and twisting it out. The jam nut will keep it from spinning off the stud.
(sorry bout the fuzzy photo... at least I grabbed my digi cam and not going off my cell phone cam)

I start to run the studs into the new clutch when i notice it's the WRONG FRIGGEN CLUTCH.

I coulda spent this time hacking my dash, or talkin on the phone to a hottie... or ANYTHING woulda been more productive than undoing this for no reason.
Naturally, NAPA was closed by this time too.
So not only was that labor wasted... but i had to put it BACK together.. since the Longhorn is down for a massive coolant leak. (top hose split)
Funny part, I have a replacement hose... but it's sitting on top of my toolbox... at work.
Toss it back in, leave the windows down, then i go in and grab some grub.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM
I swear, if I couldn't nuke my food... I'd starve to death.
At least it wasn't a total bust.
I spent about 2 1/2 hrs all in all.
Money spent....
again, the POR was sitting around, so i don't count it in the tally.
I spent a buck at the coin op
88 cents on one brush.
Can't count the 46 dollars on the clutch, since it's going back.

So, total outlay for today....
$1.88.
I think the combination pizza rolls are more better.
Just MHO.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
wibilly

carful with the pizza rolls. that was the start of my addiction now i'm up to two tomstons in one sitting
Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

Looks good Are you just doing things to make it a little nicer and just drive it?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

I have big plans, but a small wallet. I'm trying to make it go from a decent truck, to a nice vehicle.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

like Pizza Rolls, fool!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote