The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Slammed70

Well....

I know I havent been making friends on the boards lately, and alot of that is related to my truck being a pain, nothing seems to work. And I have a drinking problem apparently, though Im considering seeking help with that. And I would like to apologize for anything Ive said and done. Im not asking for forgiveness....just wanted to say Im sorry.

On a good note though, I finally got my truck running. The "Old guy" from one of my previous posts who also happens to be my neighbor came over and helped me get it running. To this day neither one of us know whats wrong with it. Once he was there it just started up. Then he spent hours going over my truck pointing out things that needed attention. And criticized me heavily for it, though I think he could have been kinder a bout it I am grateful.

Now Im just saving up for tires, Ive been recently laid off and and having a tough time with my funds. So driving it might not be a viable option for a while. But the cam is broken in and seems to be fine after what I done to it. Nothing leaks other than the valve covers(pulled then off to set the valves while running)

But shes running and driving, runs well too...really well. You "old guys" really are a godsend. And Im forever grateful to your kind or generation or whatever you prefer to be called. The cam sounds beautiful and the gear drive is even sexier sounding. I took her down to the carwash to wash off the greasy fingerprints from crawling in and out from underneath, and get the oil from setting the valves off, and everyone staired and seemed curious. I love it and am happy with it. Im not yet used to it yet though, moving from the '04 GTP back to it is a vast difference. But Ill adjust soon.

Again Im sorry, and the truck is running.

Slammed70(Mitch)-
Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
ed2552

Re: Well....

Hey, it is ok, we all make mistakes and do some stupid things, don't beat yourself up about it, just try to do the best thing you can do
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
BP68

How about some pics ?

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2552 View Post
Hey, it is ok, we all make mistakes and do some stupid things, don't beat yourself up about it, just try to do the best thing you can do
Im trying man, I really am...the last think I ever wanted was to make enemies on this board. Im about two days sober now by the way.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I just quit drinking as well, been sober about 2 weeks. I had to take traffic school for a ticket, and they said in CA. one DUI will cost around $7500. I never drank and drove, but that's enough to keep me going. Good luck with it...
Old 04-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
odog

Drinking's a hard thing to beat, My dad quit years ago, and my brother is trying to. This board is more than just about these trucks, we're kind a family so if you need any help with anything, just ask, somebody will help, most everybody on here knows something and most are more then willing to lend an ear if thats what is needed.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Shyguy

We have all had days when things just seemed to go wrong on our projects, but with the help of people on this board things work out. Sometimes it does take a while though.

I wish I had some words of wisdom for all of you that are attempting to stop drinking.

As they say back in the day I did my share of drinking and smoking, but stopped long, long ago.

It was not easy, but I took it one day at a time and slipped a little at first. I have been smoke and alchol free a long time now. At the time the doctor gave me a choice of continuing drinking and smoking and not live a lot longer or stop. That was all the motivation I needed.

Sometimes in my dreams I go to bars, drink, smoke and ? you know what I mean.

Hang in there.

Danny

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed70 View Post
Now Im just saving up for tires, Ive been recently laid off and and having a tough time with my funds.
why dont you check the truck without the tach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed70
So I robbed a different tach from some poor guy who left his window down and a shiney new tach in plain sight. Now I have a working tach again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I just quit drinking as well, been sober about 2 weeks. I had to take traffic school for a ticket, and they said in CA. one DUI will cost around $7500. I never drank and drove, but that's enough to keep me going. Good luck with it...
This might keep you going also.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=263659
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267953
Old 04-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP68 View Post
How about some pics ?
The only pics I have right now are the sames ones Ive been posting for years.

Friday my girly will be home, Ill tell her to bring her camera. It has one of them video things built into it, so I should be able to get some sound clips too.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
stunna

good luck with your drinking problem, you have already made progress by admitting and realizing that you have a problem. Alot of people are in denial, i give you alot of credit for that.
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Psycho71

Here's some motivation for ya.

We just put my dad in the hospital Friday for general dizzyness. It was previously diagnosed as an inner ear infection by a doc-in-the-box at Primacare.

It turns out he has three masses on his brain, two on his ribcage, one on his spine, and one on his lung. We get to meet with the oncologist this evening to see if there's anything they can do.

He has been a chronic alcoholic for over 40years (why I do not drink at all), and has smoked over 2 packs a day for the same time period (I'm quiting as soon as the stress from this ordeal subsides).

He is now in a state of extreme depression. Obviously because of the reality of the situation, but another large part of it is because my wife just gave birth to his first grandchild (girl) less than two months ago. And he now realizes that there is little chance she will ever have any memories of him.

It has truly made our whole family take a long look at our individual lifestyles, and we are all making some decisions that we thought were very hard to make. But they are very easy decisions now.

Just do whatever it takes to get things in your life set right. You might not realize it, but your actions impact everyone around you way more than you ever think they could.

We're still holding out hope for his situation though. It is amazing, some of the things they can do with modern medicine.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

When I was married the first time, I drank like a fish. I don't know if my marriage caused me to drink so much (because it was one that should have never happened) or my drinking caused the divorace. After we had seperated I realized that I needed some help and enrolled myself in AA. I won't get into the whole story about her but being sober opened my eyes to a whole lot of things in life that I was missing. This doesn't happen with everyone but I went to AA classes for 30 days and realized that the other people in there really had problems. I stopped going to AA and quit on my own for 9 years. I have an occasional beer with dinner now but I know I don't need or depend on it to function in life. With some willpower and help, you can acheive the goals you want in life. If you ever need some advice just feel free to PM me anytime.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
SCOTI

Young guys should be amazed @ how much money they actually spend on a drinking habit . . . ....

My roomies & I (3 of us) shared a $525 house for several years once upon a time. We all had decent/regular 40hr work w/benefits. We all lived ok & definitely weren't lacking for money.

Even splitting the rent 3-ways, w/all the partying going on (Thurs night/ladies night to hunt women, Fri night concerts, Sat nights w/friends @ the house, Sundays football/baseball/volleyball parties), we didn't have much money in savings because of the sheer volume of alcohol we went through.

For me personally, when I went through my divorce I finally realized how much I was spending to have 'fun'. My 'treatment' came in the form of a new GF w/a 4yr old daughter because I have no respect for adults that over-indulge in the company of children. W/her being around, I cut back consideribly. Then it was to the point of the occasional beer w/dinner.

I used to buy 2 cases of beer a week for ME. Now, I can buy an 18pk & it will last me 6-months . More truck money .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-10-2008 at 08:39 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
70rs/ss

Well, i avoided the other threads you had going as I had my opinions, but felt you didn't need one more member floggin, but I chose to post in this one. My brother, my wife's best friend since she was 5 were both killed by drunk driver's, I don't want to know if you ever drove drunk, but let's just say it is easier to not drink then you never have to worry about getting behind the wheel. I drank in college and once in a blue moon I like a beer, but if I couldn't control it or myself I'd seek help. Admitting there is a problem is the first step, good luck.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
72Levi

I was not going to respond as these type of threads are too personal but I will say one thing. My dad passed away in 1991 at 54 yr due to alcohol and cigarettes. He was a professional athlete and in those days too many parties, he never stopped the alcohol and cigs later in his life. He never got to see my two boys and I miss him everyday. For this reason I never smoked and I have three beers/drinks a year. Alcohol and cigs are drugs, our body relys on them under stress, bad times, etc... You MUST find the willpower and say NO!!! Keep yourself busy, find extra hobbies, find friends that don't party. Exercise, read books, just keep busy and DO NOT GIVE UP! Stop drinking, exercise and take care of your body and employers will see that. Remember DRINKING = DEATH and NO DRINKING = GOOD LIFE! Good luck I wish you well.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
muscletrucks

Be a site supporter!!

1972 GMC Sierra Grande 3/4 Ton 4x4
1970 Mercury Cougar XR7
1943 Farmall M
muscletrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #17
sddwtcb

i believe in second chances! good luck with everything!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #18
Slammed70

Thanks guys, but this thread wasnt really about that, lol. It was about me apologizing and me finally getting my truck done. Which its not by the way, its parked again now until I feel like bending up some metal lines to get rid of the leaking rubber tranny cooler lines.

But thanks for all the encouragement. I still havent quit, but I have cut back alot. Im even drinking weaker drinks now too.