The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
SHANE 73Z

Axle swap questions

Hey all,

I am new to the forum here & I am planning the next rebuild of my 69 GMC. The truck is a mutt of massive proportions so I need a little guidance on an axle swap.

The truck was constructed by using a1969 GMC 2wd ¾ ton leaf spring frame & body. We converted it over to 4wd by swapping all of the front brackets/suspension parts from a 71 K10 & to keep everything common we fabbed our own rear spring perches to bolt the K10 rear axle directly to the 2wd springs. We then swapped in an sm465 & Rockwell t-case.

I want to upgrade to 1 ton axles mainly for towing duty. It is my understanding that a Dana 60 front from any year leafspring 4wd chevy is a direct swap. Correct?

To the next question, Is there a 1 ton rear axle that has the proper perch spacing to bolt directly to my 2wd rear frame arrangement. The shock mounts aren’t an issue, but I was hoping I could find a full floater 14 bolt that comes with the proper perch spacing & possibly rear discs? I was hoping to stay away from the earlier Eaton & Dana rears.

Thanks in advance,
Shane
SHANE 73Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Axle swap questions

A Dana 60 front axle is a direct swap.

For a 4wd frame a 1 ton's 14 bolt has the spring perches in the correct location for our frames. Given that your truck's 2wd frame was leaf spring out back I'm guessing it has the same dimensions but I'm not 100% sure.

If you will go measure your existing spring perch width I can compare it to my two 4wds.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote