The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs up weekend burb plans (time for some tunes)

Even though i still need to finish the carpet install, I think i have everything here to have some kick ass tunes in the burb, and I may try to get it installed this weekend too. I have a BUNCH of cleaning to do, we'll be having company over all next week, but I should be able to get that out of the way today, and with any luck, get most... if not all, of the stereo done, and maybe even the carpet.
On the super low buck theme I've been following, I have;
Sony CDX-F7700 head unit.

Remote control, flip down and removeable faceplate, plays MP3s, and some other neat features.
Cost, free
My baby sister wanted an MP3 player for her toyota, I was going to get her a factory style one, but can't locate one. I had bought one already, but it was the wrong one. (DOH!) Since it was an E-bay score, I HOPE to turn my $70 score into a profit. A friend of hers gave her this one when he upgraded, and she gave this one to me. When i told her the $70 one wouldn't fit her car, she said "I never did get you a B-day gift... take it. Happy B-day"

Mounted elsewhere in the burb, will be a Sony CDX-757MX 10-Disc CD Changer

Again, MP3, CDr/rw, A reman'd unit that was scored off of flea bay. Had it sitting around since X-mas. It was actually the wrong one, I wanted another model, so it's been laying around unused for 4 months.
Cost, free
X-mas gift from mom and dad.
They always complain I am hard to buy for, so I tried shooting that item out, and they jumped at it.

Not sure where they'll be mounted yet...
One set of pioneer TS-G971M 6x9 speakers

Nothing special... just blue 6x9 speakers with a totally gay looking grill/cover that i may try to replace with a less flashy style.
Cost;
20 bucks off craigs list last november.
That is what i plan on installing this weekend.
I also have a scosche SA2002 amp that was given to me. A buddy owed me about 50 bucks and some one ripped off his stereo and speakers, but never located the amp, so he tossed it my way to pay for the storage unit space rent. (he has some of his ford parts in my unit)
I also have some old 6 inch speakers given to me years ago sitting in my storage unit... I'll probably dig them out and see if they can live plugged into this amp. I was told it's a low powered amp so it may work. If they hold up, I'll eventually make a small box to fit under the second row seat and just run them as subs... but this is all theory/maybe stuff here.
I DO need to get some small speakers to install in the doors up front. I figure, the hole is already there, i may as well use it.

I think the hardest part will be mounting the 6x9's. i don't know if there is enough room in the back where the side panels are already cut up... you can see where the old ones are right now in front of the wheel well;

If they don't fit there, I'll probably paint those round covers white to make them blend in a bit and then beat myself up figuring where to install them. I guess since the doors are already cut, i could just make the holes bigger, even though i don't like them in the front of the door... I like them towards the rear of the door so they are hidden by the seat when the door is closed.

If you want to tell me how stupid I am for cutting the dash... save it. Your complaints will fall on deaf ears. I look at 2 knob radios the same way I look at points ignition system. They were good in there day, but that was before my day. I want a good sounding stereo, and am not willing to pay top dollar for a mid level 2 knob just becouse it fits in the hole.

oh well... we'll see what happens and how it goes.
Anyone have any feed back on the amp? Google turned up nothing for that model, and VERY little on the brand... anyone have any input on the location of the round speakers in the panels... is there room for a 6X9 there?

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-13-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: weekend burb plans (time for some tunes)

Sounds like a good plan Andy...

You should make quick work of that. I will be doing my Blazer stereo this summer as well...

Hope it stays dry enough for you this weekend down there (in C-Bus).
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
Longhorn Man

you and me both!
For sh!ts and giggles... it has an 8-track player in it now!

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-13-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
andrewt2

Oh snaps andy, did you get to put the 8 track to use on your voyage home when you bought the truck?! i would of diffantely had to stop at a flea market along the way and pick up some of the classics! lol.
andrewt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
Longhorn Man

I was told it didn't work, and for 75% of the trip, i wanted to listen to the truck since it was for the best part unknown mechanical condition
Old 04-13-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
corn

I have an explod cd player just like that on the shelf. It worked excellent, but the lighted moving graphics on the front panel drove me crazy driving at night. I kept opening the door so I didnt have to look at it. I pulled it & stuck Pioneer back in.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:44 AM   #7

that looks like my old kracko 8 track
Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Longhorn Man

corn, did you have it wired so the light would dim? I'm not sure yet how to do that, but in my google search the specs said it does that. I could see that being an issue.
Other than the distraction, what did you think of that head unit?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

Fedex just dropped mine off today. I couldn't decide- DIN, or a new old knob setup- so I went with this
Attached Images

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #10
corn

I didnt have it wired that way but did think about it. The only reason I didnt do it was I was afraid Id have to dim the dash so far that it wouldnt really help in the long run. Its a da** good unit though. Lots of nice features. We had it in my sons S10 & I took it out when I got the truck back. My son said the lights didnt bother him, so it will go in his beater 97 Malibu. I wouldnt worry about it, light glare does bother me more than most so you might not even notice it. It could have also been the mounting location in the S10 as well...

BTW ours is a model # CDX-F7705X Not sure the difference in yours but it looks identical.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #11
Longhorn Man

good info. TYVM
Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Hart_Rod

If your stereo is setup like the one I put in my 48, the dim feature is not variable. Mine was wired to the headlight switch and it dimmed as soon as you pulled the headlight switch to running light position.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-13-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
If your stereo is setup like the one I put in my 48, the dim feature is not variable. Mine was wired to the headlight switch and it dimmed as soon as you pulled the headlight switch to running light position.
That would solve a lot of issues for me. I guess Ill have to start hooking up that wire on my radios. Thanks for the tip...