The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Question I Need Help Please! Or I might just Give Up...

OK I am STUMPED I just got my set of 72 big block towers and mounts and I am looking at it over and over HOW is this going to work? DO I NEED TO DRILL A NEW SET OF HOLES DOES the crossmember need to be moved Forward Wow wish I could just pay someone to do this ! Does any body know if there is someone Locally in the East bay Or south bay Near Fremont ca. That I can just drop my truck off so my worries will be gone... Don't have Cahs but my plastic is looking good about now.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: I Need Help Please! Or I might just Give Up...

PM ChiefRocka. He's in San Jose
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
71 super

Dont freak out! Bolt the towers in the front two holes on your frame (closest to you). Set motor and trans in place. Move the auto crossmember forward (the holes are already there) drop the upper two bolts in from the top of the frame and the lower two will bolt with the nuts to the inside of the frame. Now assuming that you have the correct th400 linkage the pivot point is different so if you want 100% right contact uncle he did have a set for $65 dollars. Once this is bolted in place get the measurement of you drive shaft and have it lengthened (your bb was in I6 position correct?) now with all of this said and assuming that you have acherry picker of your own or borrowed the only money you are out is the new tranny shift linkage, the cost of the drive shaft lengthening and possibly the cost of new tranny lines if yours were fabbed up- Grand total $200- If someone does this for you - $ 500/ 800.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Unhappy Re: I Need Help Please! Or I might just Give Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Dont freak out! Bolt the towers in the front two holes on your frame (closest to you). Set motor and trans in place. Move the auto crossmember forward (the holes are already there) drop the upper two bolts in from the top of the frame and the lower two will bolt with the nuts to the inside of the frame.
Here are some pictures I took earlier today! I know the Tranny Support Xmember does have holes on the frame to move it forward but the the motor Xmember!
Attached Images

Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 04-18-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Hart_Rod

** Edit: This is how 67-71 are bolted on. **

You don't move the front crossmember forward, but you may have to drill some holes in it. You do have to move the TRANSMISSION crossmember forward, but the holes are already drilled in the frame. Here's some picture of how the motor mounts should look when you get them in.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-18-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Frizzle Fry

I couldn't remember off the top of my head but based on Rob's pics here a clear shot of where the BBC towers bolt up:
Attached Images

Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
sameyrasmea72

Do you have 72 only stands and mounts? These pics are hard to see really, but they might help. I used a front cross member off a 72 sb so I had the same problem. The top 2 holes of the stand should line up with holes in frame and one of the bottom holes of stands line up with a hole in cross member. The 4th hole you nee to drill in cross member. The slotted hole in the cross member matches up with a round hole in the stand, and the slotted hole in the stand needs a round hole drill in the cross member.

I used my BB cross member as a reference so I think this correct, but it has been awhile since I did this.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Thumbs up Re: I Need Help Please! Or I might just Give Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
Do you have 72 only stands and mounts? These pics are hard to see really, but they might help.

This is awsome, Yes I have 72 only stands wow thanks for the pictures! I can see clearly now Not so foggy "lol"
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
Old 04-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
71 super

Just saw your post, follow frizzle frys photos and you will be good to go. Something that I try to keep in mind when working on these trucks is they were assembled on a line and there is an easy way to do just about every part of it, if not then they would have been individually hand built. If you don't already have one, purchase a copy of the assembly manual it is not organized very well but it sure does help when you run into a problem and the computer is not handy it is about 38 dollars and worth it. If you have any questions I will help if I can.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote