The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2002, 03:19 AM   #1
too many

Question OT (slightly) Does this count as a "truck"?

I have a '66 El Camino, and was wondering if anyone else has any of these around? I know it doesnt "technically" fit the 67-72 years, but with as many members as this site has, someone else must have one!?!

Anyway a little info: It has a small block / factory 4spd / bucket seat with console. It also has an SS hood on it that looks like its been on it for years. It had a 4:10 posi in it , but I replaced it with a 3:36 posi to make it more "drivable" . I was told it came from AZ when I bought it a couple years ago. Only rust is in the lower back of the front fenders. I bought it to drive while my Chevelle is being restored. I told my wife I would sell it when the Chevelle was done . Only prob , I kinda fell in love with it.

Anyone else have one / or know of parts / about SS hood as option , etc? Thanks , Steve
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2002, 06:08 AM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Sure....bring back bad memories. Thanks a lot

Here's the one I used to own...too bad I got screwed out of it...
Attached Images

Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:11 AM   #3
68 Stepside
huh?

There's only one reason why I wanted it in the first place. For the 69 Impala SS 396 that filled the fenderwells. The engine had been totally rebuilt by the previous owners deceased husband, and was just plain scary. I got it to run, and once I got her all tuned, she would idle about 1000 R's It was a crazy engine.....and I miss it, believe me. I lost the car due to a dishonest person.....but they got screwed in the end...poetic justice I suppose....bastards LOL
Attached Images

Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
Old 11-02-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
too many

THANX ALOT 68!!

I have a couple of 454's on the shelf and am trying to resist that urge! After seeing the BB in yours , I may have to rethink that .
Sorry to hear about "losing" it. How long ago?

See your headed for Florida? Permanently? How soon ? If you need someone to "store" that sweet 68 in the background , let me know. Im in the Sterling area--LOL .... besides ,theres gonna be lots of good ones down south! Steve
Old 11-02-2002, 09:20 AM   #5
racedvl
Account Suspended

Talking

Don't feel too bad for him, he only had it for like 2 days!! LOL.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 02:06 PM   #6
dion
72 Cheyenne

Sweet ride. My next project will be a Chevelle or El Camino. Just a few more things left to do on the truck.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 08:11 PM   #7
Tyler_69C10

My dad has a 1966 Malibu SS

http://www.geocities.com/malibu_ss66
Old 11-02-2002, 08:34 PM   #8
Hooter
My other Love

I have always been partail to the chevelles and elcaminos. But i really love the first generation monte carlos. It is getting harder and harder to find parts for the A-bodys

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 12:54 AM   #9
mrein3

I like the A-bodies too. I still own the first car I ever bought. A 1972 Malibu. I bought it in 1984, two months before I got my drivers license, for $650. It had 84,000 miles on the clock at that time. The th350 in it needed to be rebuilt. I had that done by a shop and later, approximately 1991, put a 350 cu. in. engine in it. I paid $75 for that engine and the stand it was sitting on. The bores were still in spec so I put about $600 in a new cam, new rings, and new heads. I don't drive it much any more but when I do drive it on hot days in the summer my glasses fog up when I get out from the AC!

After high school, around 1989 or so I bought a 1971 Malibu convertable. It was repainted red over the medium blue factory paint when I got it. I ended up stripping the crappy red paint and restored it to its factory color. I still own it and have big plans for it.

That said my favorite car of all times was a 1971 Monte Carlo. I originally bought it as a "winter beater" for $200. For those folks who don't live in the salt belt us northerners buy already beat cars and park our nice cars for the winter. That car had a 350, th350, and a 273 rear end. I took it moose hunting in 1989 to the NW corner of MN and managed to get 21-23 mpg while cruising at 65-70 mph. (This was BEFORE the 70 mph speed limit). When I was dating the woman who is now my wife I used to drive it down to Edina where she lived at the time. There are many BMW and Mercedes-Benz owners down there who don't want to talk about the black Monte that blew their doors off. Man that was a fun car! It lived until 2 falls ago when it was just too rusted out to drive any more. Its factory disc brakes live on in my 1972 Malibu.

Hooter,
If you need Monte stuff I stripped almost everything off my '71 before I took it to the scrap yard. No sheet metal but most everything else is in my garage.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 01:51 AM   #10
68 Stepside
huh?

Hey Steve, I lost it about a year ago now, and only owned it for about a week.

Here's what happened:

A lady in town here, was with a guy for 23 years, but they never got married. When he died, she got the car (which was ok with the family), but the state wouldn't give her a title, because it was in her deceased partners name. That happened in the early 80's. The car then sat in different yards over the course of the years, until 2001. It sat for 4 years here in town, and they finally tagged the car, to get it towed.

The lady that had it in her posession, told the town cop to let anyone have it that wanted it. So he came and told me, and I went the next morning and got it. I got it home, got it running, and then all the BS started. The woman's brother works down the road from me, and he heard the car running. His friend that works with him then made the comment that "I would have given you 500 bucks for it". Well, he went and told his sister, and they decided to pay me a visit, and tell me they were taking the car back. Now unfortunately, they had all the paperwork relating to the car....so they could have made it out to look like I stole it. So I gave the car back....

In turn, the car was towed, as it had to be, and the owner of the junkyard that towed it, wanted the 396 so bad, he put a 50 dollar a day storage fee on it. Keep in mind the car had to be housed in the impound lot for 90 days, before anyone could claim it. That comes out to what? About 4500 dollars I believe??

So by trying to screw me over, they're the ones who got the shaft....Needless to say, I don't feel sorry for those lowlifes in the least bit. But I still miss the sound of that BB!!!

Now, about the stepside...I'll think about your offer... LOL

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay