The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Mykul

Drive shafts

I'm looking to convert my 66 2WD I6 4sp to a 350/T350. What do you guys do for a drive shaft? Do I need to get one built or should I be able to source one?
Mykul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Drive shafts

I'm not a big fan of using or re-using drive shafts from other applications. I've always had a new drive shaft cut to my specs for my projects. I've found that it's not that much more expensive in the long run, and I get exactly the drive shaft I want - I've never had any drive shaft issues. There are some really trick drive shafts available these days - 4130 chromoly, 7075 and 6061 aluminum, etc.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes

Last edited by vin63; 04-23-2008 at 03:16 AM.
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Plus your new shaft comes balanced so it doesn't vibrate. Far better than stock. You should have a shop in your area that can build one for you.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
greg64

I'm with the other guys on not reusing old junk in this area. However, if you're going from a 4 speed to a TH350, I suspect your shaft will need to be shorter. So, after taking the correct measurement, you can probably have a local shop cut your existing shaft down to the needed length, and have the yoke and 350 slip yoke added. Then have it rebalanced. Driveshaft imbalance problems are maddening to isolate.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Mykul

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg64 View Post
I'm with the other guys on not reusing old junk in this area. However, if you're going from a 4 speed to a TH350, I suspect your shaft will need to be shorter. So, after taking the correct measurement, you can probably have a local shop cut your existing shaft down to the needed length, and have the yoke and 350 slip yoke added. Then have it rebalanced. Driveshaft imbalance problems are maddening to isolate.
That's what I thought I'd have to do. Thanks guys!
Mykul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

When I was in high school there were some who cut their own shafts. I cannot recommend anyone try this!

Start by making a cradle with a pair of straight 2x4's. A vee setup with notches the clear the u-joints.

To shorten, cut right next to a collar. Then cut the length no needed from the tube. Place the parts in the cradle, and tack. Then eyeball and adjust to straighten before welding.

To lengthen, you neede two shafts. Cut one like above. Then cut the end of the other shaft with the length of tube you need to add. Place in cradle, straighten and weld.

We had one guy who was pretty good, but he also had to do some balancing after installing the shaft.

I'm telling this to show how much things have changed in the last 40 years. We did this kind of work with hacksaws, files and stick welders. We also had a lot of part failures. Thankfully most of us didn't get hurt too bad.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T View Post
When I was in high school there were some who cut their own shafts. I cannot recommend anyone try this!
I also have done this in the past with no major catastrophes but couldn't say that I would recommend this procedure either. It did what it needed to do to get me by for a little while, but that was it.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
suicide 63

two weeks ago I had a driveshaft shortened ,new ujoints, and balanced for $115 I cant see taking a chance doing it yourself when you can have it done this cheap.
suicide 63 is offline   Reply With Quote