The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Hittman

2x4 To 4x4

I finally got the cab and box switched over to the 4x4 frame this weekend with the help a few friends. Now the body sits up in the air pretty good. Unfortunately the differences are now becoming quite apperant between a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive.

As I am sure you all know the engine/tranny sits further back on these 4x4's for whatever reason. Now my speedo cable is too short, the clutch linkage wont line up right, the brake lines have different fittings to the master cylinder, and my steering shaft is now too long and the power steering unit drive shaft has a bigger diameter thus the coupler won't fit on it. Right now my biggest concerns are the speedo cable and the clutch linkage. In the second picture I shot the clutch linkage issue in hopes one of you guys might know how to correct this. The bracket that attaches to the block determines the position of the linkage bracket. Do I need another bracket to reposition it forward or is there a different linkage set up for these 4x4's? Any idea where I can get a hold of one of these?

Also it looks like I will need to buy another speedo cable - any idea how much that will set me back? Mine was actually starting to make noise in the cold weather anyway so it was probably on its way out.

Is there an effective way to shorten the steering shaft? I understand they have a couple of "shear pins" in the event of a frontal collision that will collapse upon impact. Do I just need to locate one for a 4x4 also?

Once again thanks for your input and help. I am finally starting to see the light now - hope to have this back on the road soon!
Attached Images