The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
smn69

A couple of questions

OK guys, I have a few questions for you. I am getting along pretty good on my 69 longbed. I have rebuilt the engine, completed the front disc brake conversion and front 4” drop. Replaced all the ball joints tie rod ends and front shocks. I installed the rear 6” drop springs today and I am waiting for my shock relocation kit and my adjustable track arm bar.
First question: If I go to Auto Zone to by rear shocks, what do I need to ask for to get shocks to match up with the 6” rear drop or do I need to order drop shocks from one of the online vendors?
Second question: how should the rear track arm be adjusted(does this need to be done on an alignment machine)?
Another mod I am going to make is an electric fan. I have read the thread in the FAQ section about the fan from a 2000 Grand Cherokee. Seems like a great way to go to get an electric fan setup. I have called a couple of jeep dealers and they are quoting me $400.00 just for the fan. The tread mentioned (this was last year) that the dealer price was only around $70.00.
Next question: does anyone have a source for the Grand Cherokee fan?
Last question: I am also waiting for my rear gas tank, any special things I need to watch for when I install it? (modifications to the frame, cross-members, ect)
Thanks in advance for any advice.
smn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
flat68

Re: A couple of questions

Well hopefully i can help w/ a few questions.
First of all you dont need an alignment rack to set your track bar. Take a tape measure and run it from the brake backing plate to the inside of the frame rail flange. do the same on the other side and adjust your bar accordingly to have the same measurment on both sides. This should have your rear axle centered properly.
Most aftermarket suspension companys sell shocks for lowered vehcles. I bought belltech but im sure your local parts store will have a few chioces for you. Hope this helps
flat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
70GMCer

I bought my Jeep fan off Ebay for $25. The price that dealer gave you might have been for it being installed in a Jeep. So far, it's a great mod and keeps my engine cool. No overheating problems at all. Some on here will say don't do it because it will overheat & not work. Like I said, mine works great!! One thing to do if you do buy a used one, take the motor out of the housing and clean it out with air. Mine had a lot of road dirt in it & would not ramp up the RPMs. Also make sure you install it so that the fan pulls the air, not pushes.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
steelhorse

The newer Grand Cherokees have a modulated fan which basicaly means instead of being an on off fan they are variable speed.Thats why the big bucks from the stealer
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
smn69

Thanks for the help so far. I asked for a fan for a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and I just figured thet are trying to make back the money they lost on having to recall them. Makes a little more sense if they are modulated, but I still almost laughed out loud when they said $400.
smn69 is offline   Reply With Quote