The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
javadoc
Hey Watch this...

Front Spring Replacement ('64)

Okay, my searching skills must just be totally lacking because I couldn't find what I was looking for. Here's my situation:

I have a 3/5 kit that I want to install on my '64 C10 stepside, and the rear looks super straight forward with 4" springs and a 1" block, new Belltech shocks and adj. trackbar, bushings, fasteners, etc. The front, I'm not sure about what is involved, but it can't be rocket science. Can someone point me to a How-To for the fronts? I'm just putting 3" springs and new Belltech shocks up front, and probably replacing every single wear item and fastener up there because it's super loose. And... is this like a Saturday project, or a weekend-long project generally for the normal (thorough but not slow) shade-tree guy?

Also, do I need to use a spring compressor for the front springs? While I don't cherish the idea of my abs being perforated by a coil spring, I gotta wonder if it's necessary.

Thanks!
javadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
bedsled71

Re: Front Spring Replacement ('64)

no. you dont need a spring compressor with these front ends but its still good to work with extreme caution becuase the there could be enough tension to shoot the shock alittle.. but its mostly retained in the upper pocket
jack truck up, put on jack stands.then put a jack under the lower control arm. unbolt the lower ball jount and shock, slowly lower the jack, you might need to hit the lower arm with a hammer. and it should pop out.
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
bedsled71

Re: Front Spring Replacement ('64)

anyone that doesnt agree or thinks anything else should be added then please add!
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote