The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

The itch is getting worse!

Well here I sit on a beautiful day waiting on me getting the cab and frame for my truck. I found a 69 1/2 ton cab and frame that I have been itching to get home and start stripping it down and fixing the cab. I wanted to get it home this weekend...but it was held up on cash. I am buying the cab front end and frame for 400.00. I want to strip the frame of everything and Por 15 the whole thing. Put my 77 front disc on it and my 12 bolt posi under it. Fix the cab corners and the rockers and get the cab ready for paint. Maybe this weekend it will happen. I am itching to get started. I may have found a 74 Chevy van with tilt today. The guy is wanting the motor...but not wanting me to bring the van to my garage to pull it out. I may take my hoist over there and do it there. I want that tilt! I am also thinking of going with P/S. Kinda getting tired of manual steering now.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Re: The itch is getting worse!

Yeah, I hear ya, I'm itching to really get started on mine too. Just waiting for some more parts to come in so I can start the process. Good luck!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
chevy72blu

*sigh* I have a pile of parts back home in Vegas sitting in my garage, waiting patiently to go on the truck. Unfortunately, I have to take 2 courses over the summer so it wont be until winter break that I get more than a few days to work on it. Its KILLING me!

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Just had my wifes mother and grand mother move in today. I think the itch has been forced on me, and well welcomed...........

You've got bigger plans then me.

Are you going to get the rocker and supports off the 'new' cab for yours? or just fix the new cab up with repop and go from there??

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayharrell View Post
Just had my wifes mother and grand mother move in today. I think the itch has been forced on me, and well welcomed...........

You've got bigger plans then me.

Are you going to get the rocker and supports off the 'new' cab for yours? or just fix the new cab up with repop and go from there??
My cab is scrap material. The roof is been hit by a tree...rusted really bad. Needs more work then its worth. The new cab needs a little work...but not alot...like mine.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
caminokid
Chevy nut

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=289982

Heres the thread where I have pics of the new cab.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
caminokid
Chevy nut

Ok it is finally here! I took my scrap in this morning and to my surprise I had 1641 pounds in cast aluminum.945.06. WOW! I went and gave Chuck...the guy I have been buying the cab and parts from...the rest of his money and called a guy I know to tow it. 30.00 to tow it 4.5 miles. Not bad. So I get out there to move it out into Chucks drivway and the back wheels are locked. Great. Its raining and of course the mud and grass isnt going to let us move it. We tried with Chucks Chevy van first and it just spun...so I got chained up to the truck and this is when we found out the wheels were locked. I was pulling it to a point where I started to spin. The rollback shows up and he has a van up on the bed...so he is going to get mine with the wheel lift. So since the rear wheels were locked up I guess this is a good thing. So the fun begins when I get it home...trying to figure how I am going to get the truck in the garage. I leave it outside to long and the neighbor will start whining. So I got out my motorcycle jack and jacked up the rear end and started pushing it inside....would have been a good time to have dollies!

Heres what I got...69 cab and front clip. 3 extra fenders that are perfect. Nice hood. Cab that has all good glass. 12 bolt rear end. 72 frams with 70 suspension...yep didnt luck out on the disc brakes. I also got a heater control unit that is fully functional. Good heater core. The rockers have been replaced...cab corners need work. 4 six lug later model 4X4 Chevy rims...looks like they are all 8 inch. 2 C-10 fender emblems.

Plans...I am gutting my 87. So i am going to take the front cross member suspension and all and put it under the 72 frame. The The cab will come off and be redone. My 69 fleet...well looks like it is a donor truck now. I will pull my gauges...wiring...the right door. The rest of my truck is just done for. I will pull my 350. I will keep alot of parts...like the glass and stuff that could be used later on...if needed. I will keep my 12 bolt posi of my 69. Now all I need to find is a bed and a tailgate.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
caminokid
Chevy nut

More

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
caminokid
Chevy nut

I will start tearing into it tonight...just to pi$$ off the neighbor.