The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

I hate living in the "city"... also known as "Sweet Revenge"

A long while back, I posted a thread on the rebuild for my 67 GMC. A little while later I posted one about the 72 chevy that I had bought as a parts truck but had decided to rebuild as well.

As an update, I decided to rebuild the 72 first, since the 67 was already running. I had the 72 tore down , had a lot of the smaler parts primed and ready to paint, and was starting the frame work. a few weeks ago, we get a letter in teh mail from the city. upon opening it, we find that it is a notice that we had to get rid of teh pictured vehicles, which included my 67, my 72, and my wifes 96 cutlass. now please note that of all three vehicles, the only one not running was the 72.
my wife refused to allow me to call the city, since I am VERY known for speaking my mind. instead she "negotiated" with teh guy to let us keep our vehicles that run!!!!

sNow for the revenge part...
long story short, because of a neighbor who simply can't mind his own business, I had to part with the better looking of my 2 trucks.

but, as they say, revenge is sweet. the neighbor was complaining because my project vehicle was an "eye-sore" and it was spoiling his view when he is outside tending to his garden. thats allright, I've got his number. I have been planning and saving so that I can build a garage. now, while planning, I tried to keep in mind that my garage could possibly block the sunlight that this neighbors garden needs. This resulted in me deciding to build my garage about 10-15 feet shorter than originally planned. while I could have really used the space, I was trying to do the "neighborly" thing and try to keep my garage from interferring in his hobbies, but to hell with that.
After I watched me project truck be towed away on another mans trailer, I immediately went to my back yard and re-planned my garage. with the neighbors interests no longer a concern, my garage will be about 10 feet wider and nearly 15-20 feet longer. this is basically my original plan, but as I said I had modified it to keep from blocking his sunlight.

so now my question. do ya'll think that I'm a jackass, or does this guy deserve it?

1967 GMC C1500 LWB 250/3 on the tree-
1969 Chevy C/10 SWB 350/TH350
1996 Chevy Silverado LWB 350/4L60E
1997 Chevy K2500 350/4L80E
unreconstructed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
steelhorse

Re: I hate living in the "city"... also known as "Sweet Revenge"

F em all
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #3
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
F em all
you know, that is basically what I had in mind. basicaly, the guy was being a jerk because my project truck was in the back yard, but had it been in a garage he would most likely have a dead garden.

a while back ago, I had a project boat (which I also had to give up due to "anonymous complaints" ) a couple of days before, I had been outside stripping it down when he came out and started asking all sorts of jackassy questions (ie: "So you gonna have that boat all stripped down for awhile", "wow rebuilding that things gona take alot of time", and my personal favorite " looks like ou've got another project there, huh bud" I emphasised another due to teh tone in his voice when he said it)

basically, the guy seems to have a problem with someone rebuilding something.

I have always thought of myself as a decent neighbor... I don't throw parties, I don't get drunk and loud, and I don't have many peole over.. basically the only thing I do is work and tinker with my projects...

Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Just make sure your new garage is in code because if it isn't you know the idiot next door will have you tear it down.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
steelhorse

Hell my neighbor does burnout in the street and the other one shoots guns till 10pm.Me I just grab a beer and enjoy the show.I think you may need a 1 1/2 story garage,you know for extra storage
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjh1316 View Post
Just make sure your new garage is in code because if it isn't you know the idiot next door will have you tear it down.
trust me, my brand spankng new 35X50 foot 2 story garage will be built absolutely to code, especially being as close to hs house as local ordinance allows (10 feet from the property line) in the meantime, he'll have enough stress from teh new fence I'm putting up...

Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
HoupPhotography

DO what's in YOUR best interest! Because if they are a "good" neighbor or not, THEY will do what's in THEIR best interest.

I feel your pain too, my neighbor across the street is super nosey and likes to be "friendly" when I'm out in the garage and as he's talking he likes to snoop around.... when he started looking in my cabinets and opening my tool box (seroiously) I told him he needed to leave (that is putting it very mild) he got really pissed when I took the other neighbor for a ride in my car and nice little smoke show.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Man, that freakin' sucks!!!!!

Have all your plans reviewed, get all the proper permits, and then "Screw 'im" for all he's worth, and then some.

It costs me a bit more money, but I keep all my junk, running or not, registered and insured. My only nonrunner at this time is my Plymouth. It's behind a gate, under a canopy, and basically unseen. I do this because the city I live in has enacted a "quality of life" policy.
No boats, travel trailers, motor homes, race cars, etc parked within sight of the street. The boat, travel trailers, and motor homes that were there before this policy have to get some kind of sticker thing from the city to be "grandfathered" and are permitted to stay. If they are replaced, the owners can get new stickers for their new vehicles. Everybody else, though, is SOL.

Good luck with your new garage.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
DO what's in YOUR best interest! Because if they are a "good" neighbor or not, THEY will do what's in THEIR best interest.

I feel your pain too, my neighbor across the street is super nosey and likes to be "friendly" when I'm out in the garage and as he's talking he likes to snoop around.... when he started looking in my cabinets and opening my tool box (seroiously) I told him he needed to leave (that is putting it very mild) he got really pissed when I took the other neighbor for a ride in my car and nice little smoke show.
well, honestly, I don't "need" such a big garage, since I only workl on one project at a time, and if I ain't working on it, it won't be in the garage, but come on... If I'm going to build it, might as well build something that I want as opposed to something that I need...

as far as my beighbors actually coming onto my property and snooping, tahts why I'm putting p the second fence in the backyard. as my wife was getting teh 72 ready to be taken away from its rightful home she noticed that some things were missing that I had been keeping there. basically, someone walked right up to my truck and stole tools and parts out of her !

as far as a neioghbor snooping inmy garage while I'm there, I believe that they all value the use of their fingers too much to try that one...

Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I forgot about this when I posted my original reply.
I have a friend of mine that is a car collector. Besides having a good sized shop/garage behind his house, he also raised his garage and put in a "car stacker" (I don't know the technical name for it), so he can basically park 4 cars in his 2 car garage.

Since you haven't started construction, you may want to consider something like that.
You wouldn't necessarily need to buy a stacker now, but it's always good to plan for the future, right? Or, use the extra height for additional storage space.
As the old axiom goes, "It's cheaper to go up than it is to go out.", and the additional cost would be minimal at this time.

As for somebody else's loss of sunlight, "Screw me? Screw you!"

When push comes to shove, I can be the ultimate CS AH if I have to.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #11
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post

As for somebody else's loss of sunlight, "Screw me? Screw you!"

When push comes to shove, I can be the ultimate CS AH if I have to.

El Jay
100%! I think I'm a nice guy and it takes alot for me to be an a-hole or get PO'ed, but once I do, I need a while to settle down....I guess it's the italian blood
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #12
berencam

dandelions in garden comes to mind....
Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #13
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

You know I had the same thing happen to me, I had my 71 Olds Cutlass 442 stashed behind my grandmothers house, Now the body on the car was complete, but it was missing the engine and transmission. But it looked just like any other car that could be parked on the street, but it was hidden in the back.

Well as it were the city decided they were going to crack down on "Junk" cars. Well a group of us got together and started going down to the city council, and talking to them, well to no avail, they passed not 1 more but 3 more resolutions in that time dealing with "Junk cars"

Finally when it came down to it, I made it clear to them with the chief of police sitting in the room as well, that should they come to "collect" my car as their ordnance stated, they had best plan on bringing several large well armed men if they wanted to succeed"

I never had a problem one again, I am just sad with the way it worked out because my grandmother was 83 at the time and in the last year of her life. The city repetitively sending her letters over my car threatening her with possible jail time was pretty unnerving, But I have to hand it to her, she told me to keep the car parked right there and came to the city council meetings with us and spoke her mind.

I sure miss you grandma.

Erlene Genvieve LaDuke, 1926 - 2007
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
caminokid
Chevy nut

At my girlfriends house she has one of those neighbors. This year I was working on a couple of cars...and he actually came over into the garage and told me I wasnt going to do this kind of stuff this year. I asked him if he had bought the property? He said no and I told him to get back over on his side of the property line. I was po'ed right then and there. He had no right coming over and telling me what I can do I am getting my other trucks home soon. He is really going to be pi$$ed. I dont give a damn either...my give a damn is broke.

These nosey people need to worry about their own problems...not ours.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Oh, and one more thing, you should totally paint your garage in a super duper mid 80's fluorescent yellow that would do Macho Man Randy Savage proud!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #16
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
At my girlfriends house she has one of those neighbors. This year I was working on a couple of cars...and he actually came over into the garage and told me I wasnt going to do this kind of stuff this year. I asked him if he had bought the property? He said no and I told him to get back over on his side of the property line. I was po'ed right then and there. He had no right coming over and telling me what I can do I am getting my other trucks home soon. He is really going to be pi$. I dont give a damn either...my give a damn is broke.

These nosey people need to worry about their own problems...not ours.
Why oh why didn't you find the closest blunt object to toss at this person at a high rate of speed? I hate people like that. This is why my place is out in the sticks.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #17
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Why oh why didn't you find the closest blunt object to toss at this person at a high rate of speed? I hate people like that. This is why my place is out in the sticks.
I had thought about it. But I would have thrown something like a 350 head or a cast intake. I dont do hammers.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"

Last edited by caminokid; 05-07-2008 at 01:02 PM.
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #18
ed2552

ElJay, i believe you are talking about a 4 post car lift? Those are also nice for working underneath cars, but it is hard to work on suspension and stuff like that with them, i like our two post, but i wouldn't trust a car underneath it. Sounds like a good idea to me
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
I had thought about it. But I would have thrown something like a 350 head of a cast intake. I dont do hammers.
I am thinking something more along the lines of a trebuchet

That would throw the whole 350...
Attached Images

Last edited by MrBeast; 05-07-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
100%! I think I'm a nice guy and it takes alot for me to be an a-hole or get PO'ed, but once I do, I need a while to settle down....I guess it's the italian blood

I ain't Italian. I'm American. But I appreciate your sentiments.

Just screw the livin' dickens out of them.
I'm sorry, I just had to get that in there!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #21
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2552 View Post
ElJay, i believe you are talking about a 4 post car lift? Those are also nice for working underneath cars, but it is hard to work on suspension and stuff like that with them, i like our two post, but i wouldn't trust a car underneath it. Sounds like a good idea to me
Actually, it is a "stacker." It's for parking/storage only.

The lift is in his backyard garage/shop.

As a piece of totally useless info, he's the #2 auto instructor at our local JC,

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #22
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
You know I had the same thing happen to me, I had my 71 Olds Cutlass 442 stashed behind my grandmothers house, Now the body on the car was complete, but it was missing the engine and transmission. But it looked just like any other car that could be parked on the street, but it was hidden in the back.

Well as it were the city decided they were going to crack down on "Junk" cars. Well a group of us got together and started going down to the city council, and talking to them, well to no avail, they passed not 1 more but 3 more resolutions in that time dealing with "Junk cars"

Finally when it came down to it, I made it clear to them with the chief of police sitting in the room as well, that should they come to "collect" my car as their ordnance stated, they had best plan on bringing several large well armed men if they wanted to succeed"

I never had a problem one again, I am just sad with the way it worked out because my grandmother was 83 at the time and in the last year of her life. The city repetitively sending her letters over my car threatening her with possible jail time was pretty unnerving, But I have to hand it to her, she told me to keep the car parked right there and came to the city council meetings with us and spoke her mind.

I sure miss you grandma.

Erlene Genvieve LaDuke, 1926 - 2007
Bless your Grandmother for standing up to them!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
Pont406

Wow, this sux big time. I live in the tree hugger's capital of the world and I can paint, sandblast and so on in my place. I don't do it too much but still. Everyone keeps to themself.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #24
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

[QUOTE=MrBeast;2710714]Oh, and one more thing, you should totally paint your garage in a super duper mid 80's fluorescent yellow that would do Macho Man Randy Savage proud!

I know you kid, but my house happens to be yellow (well, not quite THAT yellow), and I would most likely paint it to match the house...

as far as it goes, I have thought about installing a privacy fence at some point. the way I would build it, due to the downhill grade about halfway out in my backyard, and since I would want to build it level all the way across, would mean that it would be about 10 ft high right about where his garden is. Since his garden is right up against my property (he actually cuts onto my property about 2 ft in order to be able to drive his riding lawnmower around his garden) would mean that the only sunlight his tomatoes would get would be for about an hour or 2 a day.

I will be checking bulding regulations, and double checking to see exactly where my property line is, but needless to say, he'll not be happy that he screwed with me and my trucks in the long run...

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #25
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

[quote=unreconstructed1;2710801]
Quote:
Oh, and one more thing, you should totally paint your garage in a super duper mid 80's fluorescent yellow that would do Macho Man Randy Savage proud!

I know you kid, but my house happens to be yellow (well, not quite THAT yellow), and I would most likely paint it to match the house...

as far as it goes, I have thought about installing a privacy fence at some point. the way I would build it, due to the downhill grade about halfway out in my backyard, and since I would want to build it level all the way across, would mean that it would be about 10 ft high right about where his garden is. Since his garden is right up against my property (he actually cuts onto my property about 2 ft in order to be able to drive his riding lawnmower around his garden) would mean that the only sunlight his tomatoes would get would be for about an hour or 2 a day.

I will be checking bulding regulations, and double checking to see exactly where my property line is, but needless to say, he'll not be happy that he screwed with me and my trucks in the long run...
Well a little something to get you motivated.

Last edited by MrBeast; 05-07-2008 at 07:24 AM.