The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

What are our trucks really worth/

I am trying to determine the "declared value" of my 1969 GMC for classic insurance purposes. I went to the following web site, and much to my surprise - these trucks hold their value well. Here is the NADA for classic vehicles.

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...=22&p=0&f=5003

When calling an insurance company they ask for pictures of the exterior, interior and engine bay, usually have a yearly mileage cap, often require a garage and ask what your "declared value" of the vehicle is. Once you and the insurance company establish a "declared value" then you get a quote.

What companies are you all using? How are you all establishing your "declared values".

Thanks, Harry
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
HoupPhotography

Re: What are our trucks really worth/

WOW! This is what that things says my values are.... HERE

That shows that "worth" and "value" are a little different, Worth=what someone will pay, IMO
Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Daaaaang!

Quote:
Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".
Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".
High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.
I have an agreed upon value (8K) with state farm for my truck, so in the event of a total loss I get 8K. I gave them pictures of the truck and showed them some trucks I found for sale on the net that looked similar to mine. My truck is also insured as a regular vehicle, I have comp, collision, underinsured, uninsured, etc, and I can drive it where ever and when ever and it's OK it's stored outside at an apartment. I pay $400/year for my policy.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-07-2008 at 11:13 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Daaaaang!

I have an agreed upon value (8K) with state farm for my truck, so in the event of a total loss I get 8K. I gave them pictures of the truck and showed them some trucks I found for sale on the net that looked similar to mine. My truck is also insured as a regular vehicle, I have comp, collision, underinsured, uninsured, etc, and I can drive it where ever and when ever and it's OK it's stored outside at an apartment. I pay $400/year for my policy.

$400 a year!! Dude that high! I have State Farm too and ALL of our vehicles are $460 a year. I have collector\classic ins. on my truck with everything including rental & glass and it's $86 for 6 mo. BUT, I can't put more than 1K miles on it a year... (I did that to get around emissions), you don't see to many hot rods runnin' around in the summer here...lol!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

agreed value is what you what.
You should get your truck apraised before doing anything. You'll have to pay out of pocket, but this is the only sure fire way to get an acurate estimate of what your truck is worth.
That, or a pocket full of reciepts for parts and labor for everything done. (which would be more than the actual value of the truck)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
lilred67

i have collectors insurance with j.c.taylor. agree'd value at $12,000.00.no appraisle, send them pics,comp/collision,drive no more than 6,000 miles per year,stay in garage when not in use, for $120.00 per yr.
lilred67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
haysonj

Mine was appraised online cost me $200 I had to send about 20 pictures plus receipts for parts. It is insured by American National for $45,000 declared value that costs me around $300 a year. I have to maintain another vehicle and am only allowed 2000 miles per year on the 69
Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
Mine was appraised online cost me $200 I had to send about 20 pictures plus receipts for parts. It is insured by American National for $45,000 declared value that costs me around $300 a year. I have to maintain another vehicle and am only allowed 2000 miles per year on the 69

Is that the truck in your profile?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I'm mad at mine right now... What's it worth in negative dollars? ;(
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
$400 a year!! Dude that high! I have State Farm too and ALL of our vehicles are $460 a year. I have collectorclassic ins. on my truck with everything including rental & glass and it's $86 for 6 mo. BUT, I can't put more than 1K miles on it a year... (I did that to get around emissions), you don't see to many hot rods runnin' around in the summer here...lol!
My father used state farm for 18 years never missed a payment, never was involved in a wreck, never made a claim of any kind. He lived in the same place for 18 years then moved, before he moved he told his agent that he was moving out of state and he needed to know if it was going to be any different prices or such. Well the again told him that his new monthly premium will actually be cheaper due to the new state he was moving to has less accidents. Once he moved he waited for his new statement. Once it didn't arrive, he called state farm and asked what happened to his statement and bill, the lady on the phone said oh that policy was canceled 2 days ago due to non payment. He was like that cant be i haven't even gotten my new bill, and the lady said the new information was never entered by the agent so it was canceled. She continued to tell him if you want to start a new policy like your old one it will be $x.xx today and $x.xx a month(85.00 a month higher than his previous rate that where extremely low rates for staying with them for so long). He asked to speak to the supervisor and explained that it was their fault and they needed to fix it. Well they refused and long story short he worked his way up to the vice president of the region, and after explaining his situation the vp told him (in nice fluffy words) we dont need your business, f off. To this day i tell every person i know NEVER to use state farm.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
My father used state farm for 18 years never missed a payment, never was involved in a wreck, never made a claim of any kind. He lived in the same place for 18 years then moved, before he moved he told his agent that he was moving out of state and he needed to know if it was going to be any different prices or such. Well the again told him that his new monthly premium will actually be cheaper due to the new state he was moving to has less accidents. Once he moved he waited for his new statement. Once it didn't arrive, he called state farm and asked what happened to his statement and bill, the lady on the phone said oh that policy was canceled 2 days ago due to non payment. He was like that cant be i haven't even gotten my new bill, and the lady said the new information was never entered by the agent so it was canceled. She continued to tell him if you want to start a new policy like your old one it will be .xx today and .xx a month(85.00 a month higher than his previous rate that where extremely low rates for staying with them for so long). He asked to speak to the supervisor and explained that it was their fault and they needed to fix it. Well they refused and long story short he worked his way up to the vice president of the region, and after explaining his situation the vp told him (in nice fluffy words) we dont need your business, f off. To this day i tell every person i know NEVER to use state farm.

That sucks dude! Different states have different rates, it still doesn't excuse them for their mistake. Insurance here in AZ is pretty high compares to other states, because the imports come over and steal your ride and take it across the border, it's only 1.5 hrs to the border.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

ok, so in iowa the average price for a 69 C-10 LWB is $19k ?? that seem really, really high.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
$400 a year!! Dude that high! I have State Farm too and ALL of our vehicles are $460 a year. I have collectorclassic ins. on my truck with everything including rental & glass and it's $86 for 6 mo. BUT, I can't put more than 1K miles on it a year... (I did that to get around emissions), you don't see to many hot rods runnin' around in the summer here...lol!
I think your missing the point, my truck is insured as a complete DD, same as a brand new car would be. I have no mileage restrictions and have "full coverage" on it. I'm paying $1,200/year for 2 vehicles, no tickets or accidents, and I'm paying less than most guys at work with only 1 vehicle. I can't get collectors ins. because I don't own a garage. I'm also only 27. I've shopped around several times, this is the cheapest I could get from anyone.

My (future) inlaws moved to NC and their car insurance dropped 30%. They had State Farm in SC and stayed with them in NC.

I remember back when I was 17 and putting the 67 on the road for the first time... I paid $1,400 per year back then for liability only!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-08-2008 at 02:46 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
haysonj

Quote:
Is that the truck in your profile?
Yes heres another picture Most of the value is in all the updated accessories and the $6,000 paint
Attached Images