The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Steelies or rallies? (and an anti-rant)

Soooooo... it has come down to tire time. Easy, right? Not so much. After seeing my truck at a more propper stance and with a fresh coat of flat black, I have swayed from my rock-solid choice of a sweet set of truck rallies, of which I already have, fresh coat of paint and all, for the ugly-as-sin (my former opinion) stock steeler's. I'm pretty sure y'all have seen these pic's before, but here's what I'm working with:
My truck now-

My rally's-

If I do go with rallies, I'm going to run 255/60-15 B.F. Bellybutton's, not by choice, but because our selection of cool tire sizes is shrinking daily, and that's as about as close to a 265/50, like John Farbis is running, as I we can get anymore. So this is where the alway's infinite knowledge and opinion's of the board shall help me in my tough time's. Steel's or Rallies?

By the way, if I do run the steel's, I'll get some trim rings, and possibly baby moon's. And WIDE whites, of course!

And while Im on here, time for my anti-rant. I say anti-rant, because the 'This is a rant' posts really get on my nerves sometimes. I placed order's with two different company's yesterday. This is the final stuff I need to get my truck on the road as a daily driver. The first place I called was Suicide Doors. I've been hasseling them for about two weeks now about their weld-in step notch for 67-72's. Yes, you heard it here first! They now make them. Nothing against the other company (I'm not goin throw name's) that used to have the monopoly on this product, but as alway's, SD is a hell of a lot cheaper. And I have the FIRST one. As always, their customer service rocked. I also ordered shock relocator bracket's and some shock stud's. I kind of plan on copying FizzleFry's setup that he has in his mini-burban, except I have leaves in the rear.

Next, I called up Speedway Motors. I ordered a peep mirror (I'm only going to run one), a starter heat sheild (hopefully will cure my attitude-infested starter) oil dipstick (old one's tube broke off in the block) and a set of generic short shocks. I'll let you know how the shocks ride. They were less than $90.00 for all four, so I'm not expecting much, but I can guarantee you they are better than my old ones. I placed this order at noon yesterday, and they were on my porch by the time I got off work today! I was leary of the peep mirror, since it was only $15, but I got a top-quality Mr. Roadster peice that Mooneyes wanted $25 for. Here's what I got today:

On top of all of this, me and my brand spanking new wife just moved into a new place that not only satisfies her (dishwasher), but IT HAS A GARAGE!!! And she didn't even gripe about my recent expenditures, but I'm sure the New-Wife smell will wear off quickly. OK, I'm done now.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL

Last edited by dieselarmy13; 05-10-2008 at 03:07 AM.
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: Steelies or rallies? (and an anti-rant)

Your truck looks sharp. I think it would look good with the rallys or the steelies.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
HoupPhotography

Go with the steelies, rings, moon and obviously fatty whites..... I think it will "fit" the truck better..IMO.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Don't know if you know it not, but you can buy tall wide whites up to 265/75R15 at up to 30" tall here:

http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/20...atalog2_lo.pdf
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Thank's sinister, I appreciate that, but she's not quite as sharp as the pic shows.

Houp, I agree. I think steel's would look better as it sits. Plus, the tires are cheap.

67-my computer is giving me hell right now and won't open that, but I have looked there before, and if I remember right, they are pretty pricey. I'll probably just get some cheapies, take the grinder to 'em and suffer a black lung for a week if I go that route.

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

By the way... what color for the steelies? The roof is now painted the same color as the rallies above, so should I go with that? One more thing to consider is that I'm not really liking the dark metalic gray on the roof and I'm thinking of a medium, heavy metallic green for the roof.

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

I like the stock steelies... but I may be a bit biased

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #8
jimmydean

I would love to get my hands on some stock steelies! I have some Red Barron powedercoat that would be awesome.

Those ralleys are sharp, too! Why can't I find any good 5 lug wheels?
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Hummmm, I like the steelies, now isn't that a revelation! The wide white are a given as well. Now as for the color, looks like the interior is blue. I would go with a light satin blue or bass boat metal flake blue and a set of spider caps. Speedway has them and the are just plain old school.

definitely go with a flake blue top.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-10-2008 at 04:42 AM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
I would love to get my hands on some stock steelies! I have some Red Barron powedercoat that would be awesome.

Those ralleys are sharp, too! Why can't I find any good 5 lug wheels?
You just got to look. I found the rallies on eBay some time ago. The steel's came with the truck. Both are pretty easy to find.

And spray-bomb, you know I'll always like your style...run what ya brung.

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #11
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

i also like the stock steelies, but i do prefer a good set of rallies... i realy like corvette/camaro rally's

Last edited by Ol'Rover; 05-10-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Ol'Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #12
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
Hummmm, I like the steelies, now isn't that a revelation! The wide white are a given as well. Now as for the color, looks like the interior is blue. I would go with a light satin blue and a set of spider caps. Speedway has them and the are just plain old school.

The interior isn't going to be blue for much longer, just couldn't take anymore paint fumes By the way, tcb-1 I've been looking for some CUCV wheels (15x8 6-lug steels) like you're looking for here on base, I'll let you know....

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Keep your eyes peeled out there for me soldier! I don't think that the Army or Army Reserve have CUCV's in service anymore, correct? All hummers now? However you may check the motor pool sometime OR local salvage yards.

By the way, I did get some, but I am looking for some more..... don't know why, but I am. If your still looking for them, I will keep my eyes peeled.

Found a good (affordable) powdercoater over here in the metro. PM me if you need details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
The interior isn't going to be blue for much longer, just couldn't take anymore paint fumes By the way, tcb-1 I've been looking for some CUCV wheels (15x8 6-lug steels) like you're looking for here on base, I'll let you know....

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-10-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #14
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

We are still running the hell out of those old blazer's, believe it or not! Just small stuff like mail room run's and whatnot, but we still got 'em.

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the arm on your peep mirror is pretty short, you probably won't be able to open the wing vent up very far.
Let us know about the shocks... I'll be in the market for some drop shocks soon.
As for your wheels... I'd go with the rallys myself, but a bit bigger on the rubber than what you are listing.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

hummmmm, they are still on base? wonder if they would "miss" a set or two?! I bet the motor pool even has some replacement rims on the shelf that have never seen the light of day! :drool:

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-10-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #17
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
hummmmm, they are still on base? wonder if they would "miss" a set or two?! I bet the motor pool even has some replacement rims on the shelf that have never seen the light of day! :drool:
Trust me sir, if this was possible, my new garage would be full of them. I didn't ever think of them as anything special untill I read one of your recent post's. The problem is, they don't fall under Army maint. programs here, they are handeled by civilians. In alll actuallity, they recieve no maintinance at all, but that's another story. If they were in my motorpool, me and all of my buddies would have new tires on our trucks, and you would have a free set of wheel's, and that's probably why they were turned over to civilians. Four years ago I can't think of too many army maint people that didn't have CUCV tires on their trucks!

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Does Ft Riley have a good Cann Point? I went to the one at Hood all the time. Had about 100 of them to pick from. When my comander asked why I wanted on the can point list, I flat out told him... "sir, becouse I own an old beat up Chevy, and uncle sam pays me less than the pizza joint I used to deliver for." (I was actually still delivering pizzas) He agreed with me, and put me on the list of people able to enter the yard.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #19
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

I just had a vision! Go with House of Kolors Pagan Gold on the roof and rims!!! wide whites, spider caps. I can see her now!

I've painted several old school choppers I built with Pagan. nice.

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-10-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #20
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Does Ft Riley have a good Cann Point? I went to the one at Hood all the time. Had about 100 of them to pick from. When my comander asked why I wanted on the can point list, I flat out told him... "sir, becouse I own an old beat up Chevy, and uncle sam pays me less than the pizza joint I used to deliver for." (I was actually still delivering pizzas) He agreed with me, and put me on the list of people able to enter the yard.
If there is a decent cann point, I've yet to see it. Ever since I got here in Jan., I've been stuck on a bunch of crappy details. I haven't turned a wrench since I left Iraq in September, so I don't have my hookups here yet, but we'll see...

And tcb, sorry, golds just not my style. I'm really thinking green.

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #21
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Hmmmm, Steelies or Ralleys?? I love them both and now I'm running them both. I'd have to say red steelies and white 67-68 caps with satin black and whitewalls, but that's just me!
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 05-10-2008 at 06:54 AM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #22
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

What size tire's are you running 67?

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #23
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Diesel, thanks
I would run something other than black on your wheels unless you want the Sinister look
I think that a relatively dark color would be in line though, like maybe whatever you run on the top of your cab... it just needs to tie into your truck somehow & using a completely different color on your wheels just doesnt always look good

Andy, I have the same peep mirror & have no problems with my vent window

Killer
Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #24
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Oh, & spider caps are really cool, but they are frick'n expensive !!!

Try some chrome lug nuts & push through center caps

Killer
Old 05-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #25
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

diesel army. do both.Buy a set of tires and do up the Rallies then save for a set for the steelies.You can run whichever suits you at the moment.Truck looks good.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote