The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
scottm

over load springs

I'm picking up a 69 GMC next week. I noticed that it has the over loads in the back. Can they just be taken out or is there alot more work than just that. I'm new to these type of trucks (I'm an s-series multiple truck owner) but have a few friend that have them.
scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Re: over load springs

i'll assume it's a leaf spring truck and the overloads are on top of the spring pack. all you'll need are shorter U-bolts, just pull the stock U-bolts and overloads and replace with new U-bolts. there is a small block between the overloads and the standard spring pack, remove it also. be sure the truck is properly supported prior to unbolting anything.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
scottm

Actually it is coils all the way around. I though it would have been a leaf spring truck when he told me about the over loads but i looked and its coil.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
deadof_knight
FixerUpper

If youve got overloads leave them unless your lowering it. I have both types and the truck without is a washy ride. I dont like it .
1-Cheyenne 72 700R4,camper special all original when i got it then i improved it a little Blue and White 3.73,4 core rad, 700r4,MSD hei ,turbo muffs dual exhaust only had 50 k on it when i bought original mile sweet old ladies truck turned into a stump puller No. 2 C-10 72 w/air and Tilt and power and the cheyenne trim package shtbd is dropped 2-3w/factory tilt has torq thrust 2 rims 2003 dodge neon steel blue color
deadof_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
scottm

I do plan on lowering it which is why i was wondering about them. Is there anything that can be done to help the ride after taking them out?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

in 69, GMCs came with coils as standard equipment.
taking them out does nothing to the ride. They are just bolted to the frame and hang there for 99.999% of the time.
unbolt them and that's it.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 05-12-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
scottm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
in 69, GMCs came with coils as standard equipment.
taking them out does nothing to the ride. They are just bolted to the frame and hang there for 99.999% of the time.
unbolt them and that's it.
So i shouldn't have any issues after removing them then. Perfect..thats what i was hoping to hear! Thanks to all who replied!!