The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
BigDaddyDave
RIP BigDaddyDave ~7-23-09~ You will be missed~

This is a rant!

My wife and i went shopping Saturday at the local Wally world. We entered the store around 12:30 PM and returned to the car at 2:00 pm to find that my tag had been stolen. We had to call the police,then wait for an hour for him to show up. Today,i had to go to the tag place and buy another tag. My month and year stickers expire in July,so i had to buy those again today and will have to buy them again in July! I went to Auto Zone, and bought a special fastener to deter the crack heads from stealing it again. I feel better now,and i hope all of you will take just a few seconds to make sure your tags are still on your cars! Rant Off

Last edited by BigDaddyDave; 05-13-2008 at 10:26 PM.
BigDaddyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
steelhorse

Re: This is a rant!

Maybe one of the Nascar boys need a tag for their car
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
jimmydean

At least you didn't get arrested

When I lived in San Diego, some jackass stole the whole plate off my car 2 weeks before I moved to Oregon. The worst part is I got a ticket for no registration displayed (because the plate was stolen) before I knew it was even missing.

I called the city and told them that the plate was stolen and they said they would clear the ticked. I moved, case closed. But it wasn't.

As far as San Diego was concerned, I failed to appear in court on the ticket I was told was cleared, they issued a warrant, and I found out when I tried to get my Oregon license. I spent about 2 weeks on the phone and mailing/faxing appropriate supporting documentation trying to get it all cleared.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The latest thing here, the crack heads will take the registration (in ohio, that's the papers that you keep in the glove box) and go pretend to be you and claim the plate were stollen. Some of the smaller independantly run BMV branches won't check for ID, and boom... the crack head has seemingly correct plates IN YOUR NAME! I've seen this happen 3 times in the last year or so.
The crappy part is, you NEVER look at those papers unless a cop asks for them, or you are renewing your plates.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
70cstjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
The latest thing here, the crack heads will take the registration (in ohio, that's the papers that you keep in the glove box) and go pretend to be you and claim the plate were stollen. Some of the smaller independantly run BMV branches won't check for ID, and boom... the crack head has seemingly correct plates IN YOUR NAME! I've seen this happen 3 times in the last year or so.
The crappy part is, you NEVER look at those papers unless a cop asks for them, or you are renewing your plates.

not to get off subject but i hate the new way they do registration, it looks like like a paper invoice/bill i threw my first one out...but yeah i better go check my car cause i never lock my doors when im around this area
Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Psycho71

They changed it up in Tx a few years back. We now have a sticker on the windshield for registration, and another for inspection. They took the sticker off of the rear tag for this very purpose. We do still have them on the tag for trailers and such, but they've never been targeted like vehicles anyway.

I always wondered why in the movies the cops always ask for "license & registration"? We do not have that in Tx either. They run the tag, and they know who the vehicle belongs too. If it's not on the hot sheet, you're good to go no matter who ya r. We do get an inspection report which is supposed to stay in the glove box, but I've never been asked to produce it.

Interesting how each state must be different from one another, huh? You'd think they could standardize all that crap since we all basically have to abide by the same rules.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
boogie67

What do you mean by inspection report?I've never had one or seen one.Does it have to do with your inspection sticker?

Last edited by boogie67; 05-14-2008 at 01:46 AM.
boogie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie67 View Post
What do you mean by inspection report?I've never had one or seen one.Does it have to do with your inspection sticker?
You get a 'print-out' when they perform the emissions or safety inspections.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I never keep my registration (papers) in my car for that very reason Andy. Also if someone breaks into your vehicle, they have your address too.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #10
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I never keep my registration (papers) in my car for that very reason Andy. Also if someone breaks into your vehicle, they have your address too.

That's exactly why I have a P.O. box.
I don't even have a mail box, or mail delivery to my residence.
Just call me paranoid.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
ebfabman

Dave, was that the Concord walmart or the Kannapolis one? The Concord walmart has gotten so busy no matter what time day or night, it always seems very busy. I almost hate to have to go there.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #12
wdrthird

At my job Im responsible for 15 company vehicles and most of them sit outside at night so having the sticker stolen from the tags was a common problem. To try and discourage the thiefs, everytime I put the new sticker on the plate I take my pocket knife out and cut lines in a cross pattern like a tic tac toe board. The sticker still looks the same but when someone tries to peel it off they just get one little square at a time so they give up because its not worth trying to tear off a bunch of little squares and then try to put them back in order on their plate. Its not a permanent solution, but its worth taking a few extra seconds to do it. I havent had one stolen since I came up with the idea.
wdrthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #13
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

[
Interesting how each state must be different from one another, huh? You'd think they could standardize all that crap since we all basically have to abide by the same rules.

let's hope they don't standardize things . California has got it bad compared to us .

My truck has 1967 tags on it . I don't even have to get an inspection . And my tags are good till 2013 .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
there in MY pocket
Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyDave View Post
My wife and i went shopping Saturday at the local Wally world.
This is where your problems started^^
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #16
Premium72

ha wlly world is the root of all evil.. no but really. quantity over quality. we should start printing it on our money or sumthn....although i am guilty of popn in there from time to time. i cringe when i do though.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #17
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

think thats bad? when me and my wife started dating, I left my car in my parking lot for about a week while I stayed at her place. I came back to get my car ( had to be at work the next day) and realized that my car had been vandalized. the list of stolen items include:
my tag
my front passenger bucket seat
the tray out of the top of my black and decker tool box ( but they left the tool box and didn't even touch my craftsman toolbox)
my shifter knob
my shifter boot
my front drivers seat was unbolted but still there

ya'll can talk about crackheads all day long, but you won't really know until you encounter a Tennessee crackhead...

1967 GMC C1500 LWB 250/3 on the tree-
1969 Chevy C/10 SWB 350/TH350
1996 Chevy Silverado LWB 350/4L60E
1997 Chevy K2500 350/4L80E
unreconstructed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #18
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
let's hope they don't standardize things . California has got it bad compared to us.
Depends on where you live in California... My truck was smogged when I bought it (in 1977) and hasn't been smogged or inspected since then.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #19
Psycho71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You get a 'print-out' when they perform the emissions or safety inspections.

Yeah I know those of us in Emissions counties get them. Not sure if Waco is an emissions county or not. Now that I think about it, I do not remember if I got one when I had my '71 inspected. I only had it done once before the teardown. But I'll be finding out soon enough. She should be back on the road in a few weeks. But it only gets the safety portion anyway. So they might fore go that on safety only inspections. I know we get them on our newer vehicles though.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote