The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
daman02

No bright headlights

I put a new dimmer switch in my truck thinking it was the dimmer switch but i still have no light when i click my brights. Dims work but when i click to my brights none of them work.
daman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

Re: No bright headlights

One of my Headlights stopped working for a while, I hit it with my sandal to get it to come on every night. I took apart the assembly and scrubbed the contacts down with baking soda and water using a toothbrush, just needed to get the 30years of gunk off of them. Seems weird that both would go out and just the brights at that, did you check to make sure the bulbs weren’t in backwords. Could also be a short…
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
daman02

all 4 headlights are new and i have that harness from lmc to pull juice from battery and connections are good. i'm not sure what else controls the stupid things.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Rooster's82

I had the same problem...i tried everything to get the lights to work ...then out of frustration I just started stomping on the switch turning it on and off about 50 times...then it just started working. I think that something got lodged in the switch or there was some corrosion or something. Now the lights work flawlessly.

If you can't find it at the junk yard you don't need it.
Rooster's82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
77 350 Shorty Wide

I had this exact same problem on my '77 when I converted my lights with the LMC harness & kit. Their manufacturer had it wired wrong, the ground was in the wrong position of the connector. figured out which one was suppose to be the ground, swapped the two wires and BLAM it was good to go. Hope this helps!

God Bless, Terry

Last edited by 77 350 Shorty Wide; 05-15-2008 at 07:08 PM.
77 350 Shorty Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Using a wiring harness is easy and so is tracking the source of voltage to each set of lights. The wiring harnesses use the factory installed headlight connectors to supply control power to the circuit and the battery supplies the power for the headlights only. Check the headlight circuit by turning on the brights at your dimmer switch--check the headlight circuit plug that should be feeding the relay for the brights. Using a volt meter or a probe light, see if you have power to the plug. Reverse the plan for checking the ground from the plug. Next check the power from the battery to the relay and see if it is there or if there is a blown fuse. Then see if power comes out of the relay when the relay is powered up from a jumper connected to the control circuit of the relay. That is the basics to get you started.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
daman02

thanks for the info. i'll use that approach since i now know it wasn't the easy way out with just a dimmer switch.