The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
Canada20

4-speed bellhousing crossmember; are BB and SB the same?

Hey all. Not much to add the to topic line except explain what I'm hoping to do; swap a 454 in place of my 292 and I'd like to keep my 4-speed. Wes has mentioned that I'll need a different trans crossmember for this and I'm curious if I need one from a Big Block truck or are they the same for all V-8's?

Also will a crossmember from a 73+ work?

Thanks

Greg
Old 11-05-2002, 11:38 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

the 73 up crossmember wont work with your 4 spd truck trans. i know the inline & the sb bell crossmembers are different, & you will need the BB stands & eng mounts......but Im not sure about placement on the BB, or if the sb crossmember is the same as the BB. would like to hear more myself......crazy AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 12:03 PM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

I know my motor sits back about 2 1/2 inches further than factory small blocks do. I went from big block to small block so I'd have to say they are not the same. Having said that I believe the 6 cylinder and the big block crossmembers ARE the same as they place the front of the bellhousing at the same point to allow for the longer motors. You might be in luck.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:36 PM   #4
Canada20

Longhorn; too bad the 73+ won't work; I have a feeling that's going to cut into how easily I'll find this thing

Mike; do you mean the engine crossmember or the one uder the bellhousing? My understanding is that the one under the bellhousing is different from the I-6 to the BB. It' be nice if I didn't have to move the trans, though.

Thanks for the replies,

Greg

I should mention my truck is a 2WD

Last edited by Canada20; 11-05-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Canada20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 12:59 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

the difference in placement between the 6 & the sb is right at 3 1/2". my 383 is set on 6 /250 stands, & fits very tight to the firewall(HEI dist fits, but with about 1 finger clearance tween the cap & firewall). Im not sure on the placement on the BB, but think it falls between the 6 & the sb. the bell crossmember is mounted on a downhill section of the frame, so needs to be changed when moving positions to keep the proper height at the rear of the eng. If you had a car trans , like the M20/21/22 muncie, or a BW T10.....you could use an auto crossmember & just drill the holes where needed in the frame. good luck.....crazy AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:08 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

If I get a chance later on today I'll measure from my transmission bellhousing to my radiator support and post it here. I'm not sure how much goo that will do you as my radiator support is a 68 and the 69-72's are different.

The engine crossmember is not the one I am talking about. Its the transmission that sits further back on my truck than a factory small block truck. Thats why I had to go with a long water pump and accesories because I was using big block motor mounts and a big block fan shroud and it wouldnt put the fan far enough forward even with a 2 inch spacer.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:17 PM   #7
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

All 3 are different and are located in different spots on the frame. They are close but not close enough. If you are trying to mount things in what would have been stock possitions, with stock parts, you will need the correct crossmember for the aplication you are trying to achieve. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote