The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
slipstick

Is there an after market relay wiring harness for the A/C Blower switch?

Basically, the title of this post asks my question. I have just replaced the blower switch in my 69 chevy C-10. I rarely drive the truck and the switch I replaced (as well as, the resistor and high speed relay) has been in service for a relatively short period of time. It seems like a relatively simple wiring modification which would include two relays for low and medium fan speeds could be developed. I have not found this item discussed or for sale as of yet.
The alternative is to just keep replacing switches.
Has anyone considered or applied the idea of incorporating relays in this switching circuit?
Thanks, Leon
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
neonlarry

Re: Is there an after market relay wiring harness for the A/C Blower switch?

That sounds like what I was planning to do, those factory switches don't last long. I plan on replacing the high speed relay also so all three relays will be interchangeable.
I haven't seen any aftermarket setup, doubt there is one, but it should be simple enough to wire up from scratch. The hardest part will be bringing in a new power wire for the whole setup. It will be pretty easy for me , I put a few extra fusible links on my new power distribution block when I rewired the engine compartment.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
slipstick

Re: Is there an after market relay wiring harness for the A/C Blower switch?

I initially thought it would be a fairly simple matter to wire in a couple of relays for low and medium fan speeds. However, the wiring scheme became more complex to me when I considered that the compressor clutch must also be connected. I suppose a seperate switch and circuit for turning on the compressor could be used. Anyway, I was curious if anyone had tackled the fan switch problem with the idea of relays in the low and medium speed circuit.
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote