The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
desertPOS

Any ideas why my truck is not selling?

I have my truck for sale here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=2416&cat=12

But it's just not selling. I started out asking $4500 for it and now the price has fallen back down to $3200. I think I just may keep it, but I can't figure out why it didn't sell pretty quick at that price. Figured this is the best place to get opinions. I was thinking maybe since it has old tires could be part of it/ plus most people probably don't like the stock rims... Anyway, it'd be cool to hear anyone's thoughts. I thought gas prices may have something to do with it as well... If this is a lame post just let me know, but I'd hate to get rid of it for way less than I could have gotten because of something little that is deterring everyone. Thanks,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Any ideas why my truck is not selling?

Well,I just read the beginning and you said basically that you were desperate,but also firm with the price.
Then in the 10 seconds I spent looking,I saw mention of duct tape on hoses,leaking differential etc.
Although full disclosure is an admirable intention,I would not get into all the little stuff that detracts from the truck.Make the ad much shorter,post the really GOOD things about the truck and at the end maybe say that it is X years old and needs some attention in some areas. Anyone interested can talk to you about it in drtail,or better,look for himself.JMHO
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I agree with WorkingLonghorn. Have you tried Craig's List?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
barthmonster

I've looked online a lot and out in the midwest stuff rusts a lot, so they seem to be worth more. In California all the old rigs seem to be more plentiful, and therefore cheaper. Prices to me on ebaymotors out where you are are lower. I'm not expert, just my $.02...

Last edited by barthmonster; 05-16-2008 at 11:43 PM.
barthmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthmonster View Post
I've looked online a lot and out in the midwest stuff rusts a lot, so they seem to be worth more. In California all the old rigs seem to be more plentiful, and therefore cheaper. Prices to me on ebaymotors out where you are are lower. I'm not expert, just my $.02...

I agree with that. Selling trucks on this board has been less than stellar from what I've seen. Everybody dogs Ebay, but no one wants to pay Ebay prices for stuff, MYSELF included, before ya'll jump on me. I think the difference is that the majority (not all, of course) of people here are looking for info/help for their truck or just want to have hang out with other people who have same kind of truck they do. Even though I've bought parts and a truck off this board, I didn't originally come to buy anything. MANY more of the people looking on Ebay are looking to buy.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 05-16-2008 at 11:57 PM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
desertPOS

Fixed it! The ad did seem rather negative once I read through it again, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

There are are only two rasons why something doesn't sell no matter what it is.

#1 is Condition

#2 is price.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
biggreen292

economy may be a factor too, if people fear job losses theyre less likely to buy a project or a toy but the guys are right an ad shouldnt be too detailed in the "it needs..." department.

as for me i could be told i'm being layed off in a week and still buy stuff i dont need
71 custom camper/20:292/saginaw, my first pickup
83 cutlass cruiser:307/th250c, lifelong project
96 caprice 9C1:LT1/4L60E, police package
83 buick regal estate: buick 350/m20
69 bel air:250/m21
biggreen292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yes, economic conditions may have something to do with it... Most buyers are the younger guys and with gas prices closing in on $4 a gallon, a lot of them can't afford it. The 12-13 miles to the gallon this old trucks get is a negative.

Some years ago I sold my Bro-In-Law my 69 truck for $2,000 as a favor cause he needed a truck for his work. He drove it for about 6 months and sold it back to me for $1,000 and bought a new truck... He said gas was eating all his profits.

My nephew also thought about buying it until he found out how much he would spend on gas every day going to and from school...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
Tx70gmctruck

Cool Re: Any ideas why my truck is not selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Yes, economic conditions may have something to do with it... Most buyers are the younger guys and with gas prices closing in on $4 a gallon, a lot of them can't afford it. The 12-13 miles to the gallon this old trucks get is a negative.

Some years ago I sold my Bro-In-Law my 69 truck for $2,000 as a favor cause he needed a truck for his work. He drove it for about 6 months and sold it back to me for $1,000 and bought a new truck... He said gas was eating all his profits.

My nephew also thought about buying it until he found out how much he would spend on gas every day going to and from school...
Thats the same thing i did in High School, I couldnt afford the gas in high school working at albertsons, so i gave the truck to my dad, and bought a 4cyl. Then had to beg my dad to give the truck back to me.....Finally got it back.
Tx70gmctruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
Gray Ghost

It's mostly the economy and the price of gas. It is hurting ALL sales on ebay, here, craigslist, etc. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere close to what it's worth trying to sell now or you'll wind up giving it away.

Personally I'd keep the truck until the market comes back.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 05-17-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #12
thelonerife

Well don't get me wrong. You have a nice truck but a little finish work would make it look worth it to someone. example-- marker light,a new dash bezel,hubcaps, a good used chrome front bumper if you didn't want to buy a new one.a radio of some sort,make sure the ac blows cold and you would probably interest someone like me. I gotta have AC. AND jmo not that many people are looking for a 3/4 ton. most want a 1/2 ton shortbed. It would be a good truck to use picking up trucks with a trailer. But the hard thing is finding that person that in my opinion will be over 30,looking for a hauler truck or a person that just has a sweet spot for 3/4's. Like I said it's just my opinion. I am 39 and bought a 3/4 just because it had ac that worked. The cab is now on a 1/2 ton swb frame and all apart right now. Take a look at my build thread and you'll see where I'm coming from on this. Good luck with your sell. P.S. I paid 1300 for mine.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

The biggest problem I see is the goodwrench 350, I wont touch one of those motors with a 10 foot pole, as far as I am concerned they are throw aways.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
kxnomore

I have had similar trouble lately selling trucks in CA. The high price of gas and all the talk about home foreclosures, credit problems, pending job losses, etc. are big factors hurting sales of our classics. You have a nice truck though, so try a few things:

Working Longhorn is right about the description. People want to feel good about the truck they are buying, and you are putting it down as often as you are building it up. You can explain those imperfections later when they call, or let them discover the obvious ones during inspection. I've had good luck with describing two positives about a part of the truck, and then slip in one slight negative for the disclosure. Such as "the exterior is beautifully straight with excellent paint, and the glass and mirrors are clear and scratch free, but it could use new hubcaps to really shine".

Definitely clean up the wording in the ad as that is free, spend a few bucks on a bumper and the correct hubcaps, and ........... Put it on ebay with a reserve for your lowest amount. It's a nice truck in the pictures, and should sell there.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
desertPOS

Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys are pretty much spot on with everything. I know I don't look at a truck the same way most out there do, and when you drive it everyday it's easy to overlook some of these things. I think maybe I'll keep it for a while. My only motivation to sell is that I'm moving into an apartment building with one parking space, so I was trying to simplify. Gas prices don't bother me TOO much, but I do think twice before I travel more than an hour or so now... Thanks again...

Also though, are the GM Goodwrench's really that bad? That's the first I've heard that. What is the issue with them? I know the valve covers always have to be retorqued because they come loose and seep oil and there are some other little issues I've had with mine, but would be curious to know... Maybe I'll have to do a search.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #16
mr48chev

7For what the truck is the price would be in but at the high end of the ball park here in the PNW.

3/4 tons usually end up bring about 25% less than a comparable half ton and long beds of this age bracket seem to give up quite a bit to comparable short beds.

I'd post it on Craigslist with a very brief description.

----- Chev truck. Good 350 with ---- & _______. Turbo 400
xxxx tires nice straight body nice interior. Looks good,drives good. __ __ __ ___firm.

The guy who buys that truck will buy it because it is the model he likes and he needs it to tow his boat, race car, camp trailer or what ever with. And he can justify the price while he can't justify buying a newer truck to sit during the week.,
I also agree with the guys who say you are trying to sell in a market area that has a lot of very nice older trucks for sale. In Michigan, Minnesota or Ohio that same truck would probably sell so fast it would make your head swim.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post

I have to agree here on this. With the prices of gas....People are scared of anything other than a 4 cyl. I have been trying to sell my 87 GMC...on craigslist and in the paper here. I have even dropped my price to 800.00 and still cant sell it.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
chip46wis

May have to agree on the general economy thing.I went to the Minneapolis auto auction with a dealer friend yesterday.2600 vehicles-about 70% trucks -SUVS and a less than a 11% sell rate.I watched 4 suburbans -tahoes in a row go through without a bid.I also watched 3 excursions go with absolutly not a bid.The very few Honda and Toyota cars brought over full Blue book and after chatting with a few old dealer friends they had the same general opinion that they would lose their a-- on the trucks they had on the lot.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote