The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
palallin

The Philosophy of Restoration

I've noticed something over the last couple of years. The mis-use of the word "restoration" is rampant all over the 'net boards and the enthusiast mags:

"Yeah, I just finished restoring this '6x Chevroldsmobuickiac Barrastang. It's got a .030" over 502 Crate Motor, a 700R4, a Fordmouthury 9" Posi, an all-'glass front clip, custom aluminum interior, dropped in the weeds, fat MTs in wheel tubs in back with a 4-link suspension, and a ten-coat deep Pearl paint job with racing stripes and flames."

Now, this car may be the hottest thing on the road and the sweetest ride in the show, but it ain't "restored."

"Restored" means that the vehicle has been returned to new condition, or, perhaps, better-than-new, considering that a restored vehicle is hand-built rather than slapped together on an assembly line. It will have, ideally, all original or NOS parts and be in the configuration it was originally assembled in.

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for restorers who remain true to the faith. The Mustang and 'Vette guys really take it to the max. Ten years ago, the proper set of NOS tires for a Mustang Thoroughbread were going for $10,000 a set. It is amazing how many of the little doo-dads are still around somewhere NOS, but it's also amazing how much people will pay to get them!

I'd love to have a completely restored truck, but I need my current one to work, so I'll have to wait till I'm rich and famous enough to afford a truck I can store away and never use. In the meantime, I'm trying to return it as close as practicable while still making it useable for my purposes (to include things like stroking a '69 350 to 383 and a suspension lift).

What's your preference?

--Do you want a restoration--all original?

--Do you want a "restification"--mostly original but with practical mods?

--Do you want a street machine--pro-street or that sort of thing?

--Do you want a full-on race vehicle?

--Do you want a no-holds-barred off-road truck?

--Do you want a Monster truck?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

"Restification"

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I believe you are coming from the perspective of "all original" or it isn't right. I have picked this up from some of your other post. I guess I hear what you are saying, but I kinda feel like you are pissing on peoples parades. I consider what I am doing a restoration...though it won't be a stock truck. You say Patato, I say Patoto.

I love truely original restorations, but I also appreciate the work that goes into any truck. The terminology of "frame off restoration" or "Body off restoration" has been around a long time.

If you look up the word in the Websters it says:

1. To bring back into existence or use; reestablish. 2. To bring back to an original condition. 3. To put (someone) back in a former position. 4. To make restitution of; give back

So, with that I guess my project falls into definition number 1. Number 2 just states and original condition, not resemblance. To each their own I guess.

I will be driving throug St. James around 2:00 today!
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 02:06 PM   #4
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Rodstoration or Procruiser are my choice...add those to your dictionary of terms...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:14 PM   #5
palallin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1971Stepside
I believe you are coming from the perspective of "all original" or it isn't right. [/QUOTE

You're assuming too much. Like I wrote: my own truck is not/will not be all original. I'd like to have a real restoration as a toy, but that's not reality. And I try not to apply terms like "right" or "correct" to vehicles without qualification, such as "correct for this application" or "right for this kind of project." For example, roll pan is "right" for certain kinds of trucks; for others, it's wrong. Certainly, I will admit that it's "wrong" for mine, but that's not yours.

Besides, I was really wanting to know what others prefer.

OTOH, . . .

Quote:
I consider what I am doing a restoration...though it won't be a stock truck. You say Patato, I say Patoto. . . .

If you look up the word in the Websters it says:

1. To bring back into existence or use; reestablish. 2. To bring back to an original condition. 3. To put (someone) back in a former position. 4. To make restitution of; give back

So, with that I guess my project falls into definition number 1. Number 2 just states and original condition, not resemblance. To each their own I guess.

I will be driving throug St. James around 2:00 today!
Unfortuantely, Webster never saw a car My point is that the terms have specialized within the hobby--note stlookin's additions to the list--and that one of them--"restoration"--had specialized and narrowed to a specific use (closest to your #2). That specific use appears to be going out of fashion, and I'm commenting on that development and pointing out that there are already other words which indicate something other than brought back to original condition and that it would make sense to me to retain the distinction among these terms rather than lump ALL projects under the heading "restoration."

IOW, whether I call it potato or you call it patoto is irrelevant if it's an orange

Where are/were you headed going through St. James? I work in Rolla. . .
Old 11-05-2002, 03:22 PM   #6
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

i've always thought restoration is putting something back in AS CLOSE to original as possible. you can have a resored table and chairs , but good luck find varnish from the 1800's. they're still restored. if i see a restored pick up, my def is looks original, same engine type (no blown big blocks), no mods. of course new tires, new brake pads ext. the guys running around on 30 year old tires are just asking for it if you ask me. personally i like restified for my truck!!:p

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:38 PM   #7
COBALT

Have you guys ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? There's a parallel here in tune with the philosophy of Chevy Truck restoration coupled with the experience of self-discovery. In fact I even had a tickle to write this experience of mine into a book others can digest. Good topic for discussion.

I started out as a strict Restoration kinda guy. I was coming from the inspiration of my dad's long-lost '67 C10. I wanted that truck back, and I wanted to hit that target as close as possible. A nobile goal, but that soon changed.

That was before I started looking for a truck to buy. Over time I've come to a completely different place in the wide range of 67-72 enthusiast landscape. Now I want something cool and fast. Isn't it funny how things like this work out? The more work you put into your projects the faster your REAL wants and desires start to leak out.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
ThreeQuarter

I wholeheartedly agree with you, palallin. I think it's not restoration if the vehicle didn't roll off the line that way. And there's nothing wrong with mods, just don't call it a resto.

As much as I love to see restored vehicles exactly like the ones my parents drove, my pragmatic nature won't let me be anything but a restification-er. Great thread!
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 04:12 PM   #9
ckhd

I agree with palallin, mostly. I think a real true restoration has to include the original block/heads/exhaust manifolds, tranny, etc... Not just the same type with the same casting numbers and the same stamping codes, I mean the one that was in it when it rolled off the assembly line. None of my '67-'72s have the original engines, so I'll never be able to do a true resoration.

I'd like to find one all original and do a true restoration on it. Someday I might. The ones I have I plan on doing "restifications" on the ones I have. For example, around May of next year (tax return), the 'burb is going to get a 700r4, polyurethane bushings, and convert to r-134. Not factory, won't change any outward appearance, but not original. I would love to eventually switch it to 4-wheel disc brakes too, not to mention fuel injection, front & rear lockers, updated interior, power windows/locks, remote keyless entry, etc... Things that won't change the outward appearance, but will definately make a difference when I drive.

The '68 and '69 are going to have NV-4500s (eventually - or even NV-5600s) and fuel injection, and lockers front and rear, and etc...

Bottom line for me is that if I'm going to drive it much, it's going to be a "restification". If I can find an all original, I would be thrilled to do a "restoration", but I doubt it would get driven much, if at all. I actually have my eye on a beautiful '67 with it's original paint. No "For Sale" sign, but hey, cash talks (in May).

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 04:32 PM   #10
yellowgmc

i've got tinkeritis so i can't leave anything stock. my f-150 was stock for a whole month before i started "improving" things. i ordered new parts for my gmc the NEXT DAY after i bought it. i think restored vehicles are nice, but why put so much time and money into a vehicle and not drive it? i would restore a vehicle but then i would be afraid someone would hurt it. thats why i don't want a restored vehicle. that and i've got no room for more than one project. i just think if it was built to be driven, then drive it. jmo tho.

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Old 11-05-2002, 04:39 PM   #11
RACING29

"KUSTOM"
RACING29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 04:43 PM   #12
jay-dawg
chevelito

I'm into "rodstoration" myself. I agree that a completely stock restoration is nice to see, but nothing turns me on like chrome aftermarket parts and wheels with a mean stance. But hey, to each their own. I'm the sort of guy that likes to look at things and figure what can be done to make it better.

just my .02
jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:20 PM   #13
Ackattack

I really appreciate the restorations and the originals. For example, at a car show I went to there was a 53(I think) ford station wagon with like 29,000 miles on it. All original except for the oil filter, and I think fan belt. WOW. But would I want to drive that, no way.

My goal with my truck has been to build it like I would have like it to have come off the assembly line: Fat tires, low stance, fast and mean. That's just my opinion though.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:24 PM   #14
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

I agree with pal. A TRUE resto is 100% factory correct. There are degrees of restoration and they blend fairly seamlessly into restification, rodstoration, etc. I myself prefer a stock-ish look but with as many modern, practical upgrades as I can afford. I love rides that look stock except for tires/rims but have EFI, OD, A/C, exhaust, leather interior, and other clean, subtle mods. Kind of new stuff and capability with older style. I also tend to like solid colors and simple, clean looks. Regardless, I can appreciate lots of different visions and the work that goes into making them reality.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:33 PM   #15
jay-dawg
chevelito

yeah.....both styles takes hard work.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:23 PM   #16
minibike

"Rodstoration" is the term that best fits what most of us on the board do. I don't like to alter anything that can't be brought back to original by unbolting and bolting. Otherwise, my personal tastes don't include altering sheetmetal, etc. Although I did have to notch the frame a little to make the AC compressor fit! These are just my personal tastes, however. I can appreciate shaved drip rails, and smoothed firewalls.

I didn't take the comment as being critical of what we do...just an accurate clarifcation. There are differences between what 90% of us do and a restoration. I refer to mine as a "rodstoration".
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:37 PM   #17
tom hand
CCRider

I agree and disagree. If you go by the 100% factory correct rule it is not possible to restore a truck. Where are you going to get brake pads that have asbestos in them. What if the company the made the axle seals went out of buisiness. You get the idea. On corvettes it is easy to tell if you have the original motor because they put part of the VIN on the block. As far as I know they didn't do that on the trucks. [didn't on mine] Super correct restorations are only good for points in a show that judges for that. Even some of the corvette shows take off points for over restored cars to the point were some of these guys put runs in the paint on purpose[like in the door jams] to match what the factory did. I would call anything that appears to be 100% correct a restoreration whether or not it has the correct markings on the rear shock bolts. [Yes the corvette guys go that far]
Old 11-05-2002, 08:40 PM   #18
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am not, nor have ever been, a "Stock" person. I likre to tweak things. So "restorfication" for me.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 09:30 PM   #19
Desert Rat

Heres my .07 cents To me a stock restored truck at a show is nice,i appreciate all the hard work done,but ill walk right past it if theres one next to it on 18's slammed to the ground,shaved,digital gauges,Injected 502,etc.but a stock restored Cheyenne Super Shorty Big Block truck loaded with the am/fm,cruise,buckets,tilt,harnesses.Is cool to,and id never turn a gem like that into a toy,hot rod.but a regular old truck im not gonna do a stocker,but you can easily turn any truck into a loaded with optioned heart stopper.but to me driving a stocker would be less thrilling,it would be more a conversation piece.something thats deserves to remain stock(with exception of rims)to me is a Hemi Cuda,375hp/396 SS Nova,or 65 409 Biscayne,but something regular i wouldnt hesitate to cut,chop weld,modify,to suit my taste. i think theres different meanings i go by restore,refurbish,rebuild,re-do,fix it up,restore to me is to turn back as it woulda came from the dealership.refurbish fix what it needs make it nice,re-do is restore but add what you think it should be like(like hot rodded,tubbed,bigger motored,fix it up,is to make it worthy,like the 67 im gonna do,its gonna look all stock 100% except it will have widened Ralleys in the back,everything plane jane,heater,radio,lighter,visor,arm rest deleted,no PS,or PS,it has the rmovable hump so i put in a bb hump,and im putting in a BB(gonna make it look like that factory bb truck that dont exist,kinda a factory hot rod with factory tach,buckets,posi,but with painted bumpers,grille,rubber floormat.but ill most definetly add a tilt i just pulled from a 71 Blazer(tilts are a necessity for comfort-especially when you are married,or have a lady in your life!!!!)
RAT
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:02 PM   #20
Vince M

I think a truck or car can never be put back to original condition. Original means original never to be duplicated in my book. If you change a tire or belt it is no longer original.
I think of mine as a custom. As with every vehicle I own, I put my own personal likes into each as do most of us.
No matter what catagory you fit your trucks into...I like them all and respect all the work that has gone into all of them.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:23 PM   #21
treefrog

This is a great thread

My first project was a 54 Corvette, from a junk yard ($500.00.) When it was finished, it looked like a stock vette, but it had a 265 ++, cause I sold the stock 6 cylinder. And nobody, including the NHRA folks could tell the difference.

So in today's wolrd, it depends on what you want to do with your vehicle. Mine looks "stock", but when it's done, it will have enough modifcations that I can run it xxx miles on a trip with no worries. And get back. And nobody but the guys on this board would know the difference. I cannot afford a "trailer queen", but I have to admit I like the looks from folks who think this is original.
Restification. TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:55 PM   #22
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I like the term "build" myself. I could never restore a truck due to money, know how, time etc, and get it perfect. If someone does that great I admire them for the effort. But the guy or gal that adds or takes away from their ride thats just as great. I don't think it's the money or how " perfect '' a 67-72 is its the love of the truck. IMHO and 2 cents.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:58 PM   #23
primer67
Account Suspended

I prefer to call it a " REIMAGINATION"
primer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:22 AM   #24
yellowgmc

i had a friend in high school who restified cars. his saying was "a vehicle is never truly your ride until you change something. make a change and it's yours, otherwise your driving someone else's ride". sounds good to me.

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Old 11-06-2002, 02:29 AM   #25
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I agree with the Weasel. I just build it. I love the 100% original trucks...but the problem is you really can't drive those much...just because you'll wear out some of those parts that are a pain to find original or even in the OEM style...

And to me...it just hurts to see trailer queens. Every car and truck that ever rolled off of an assembly line was built to be driven. As good as these trucks were originally, I think there's quite a few mods that should be made to a truck to make it a daily driver...i.e. disc brakes (or kevlar shoes for you drum aficionados, heh), radials, a few performance mods just to make sure you can get out of your own way fast enough to avoid the SUVs and riceboys...stuff like that...

In the extreme long term, I've got a fuel-injected big-block lined up for my truck. Short term, I'll just keep upgrading the smallblock it's got and make whatever other mods I can do to improve it as I go along...stuff along the lines of the 700R4 I put in, maybe a posi in the future, a nicer interior...stuff like that.

Heh...I hardly ever use the term 'restoration' anymore. I just use 'build' and 'project'.