The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
chevymotocross

Air Conditioning blowing hot

The a/c in my 87 chevy is blowing warm. Last year, it was blowing super cold. It has been converted over to 134a before I bought the truck, along with a new compressor. I'm guessing it will just need a re-charge but it's a self contained system, that means it must be leaking somewhere?
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Air Conditioning blowing hot

they sell the coolant thing with dye in it you can shoot that into it and see where there is a leak and correct the problem. Usually its just a defective o ring but you may need to have the system vacuumed out and the evaporator changed cause the system got air into it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
chevymotocross

Ouch, I have a leak somewhere in my condenser. I attempted to re-charge the system, as it had no pressure at all. I used the guage/refill bottle from pep boys. I got it up to the blue area of the guage (around 40 psi) but the compressor still never kicked on. I gave up, and when I went to shut the hood, I heard a hissing noise. Somewhere at my condenser, there is a leak. But I'm curious as to why, while I was re-charging the system, the compressor never kicked on. Also, looks like it will be a pain in the butt to replace this condenser.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

the condenser isnt that hard to change, just messy. You have to pull the Radiator, which means draining your coolant...which goes everywhere when it spills...
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
chevymotocross

My radiator doesn't look to be in best of shape either, I may replace that as well. Someone told me when the system leaked all it's refrigerant out, the drier needs to be replaced as well? I'm not really knowledgeable with automotive a/c systems, but I do know I need to have it properly recovered. I'm still in question as to why the compressor did not turn on while I was charging it though.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 05-19-2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

I'd be interested to know this as well as my wife's Neon and my Blazer are in the same state as yours (fully charged but the compressor won't kick on). As we're about to drive 1,500 miles from Minnesota to Utah, I'd like to get the A/C working, but not I'm not quite ready to fork out several hundred dollars to do it...

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

You can test the compressor by using a paper clip. Insert the clip in the pressure switch. If the system had atmosphere air, you must replace the accumulator. Do it right the first time!! Replace all the o-rings, office tube and accumulator. If the orffice tube is clogged with junk, your compressor is shot. Blow out the system with A/C flush or alcohol.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
chevymotocross

I'm going to buy an a/c o-ring kit. Isn't the orifice tube located in the accumulator? I also found out you don't have to remove the radiator to remove the condenser. The Haynes manual says it's removed through the front of the truck by removing the grille and some brackets. Also, I was wondering, why is it, that when a shop recovers your old, possibly contaminated refridgerant, would it be put back in the system when you re-charge it? Or do they use new refridgerant? Just wondering.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 05-19-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
cjracing15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
I'm going to buy an a/c o-ring kit. Isn't the orifice tube located in the accumulator? I also found out you don't have to remove the radiator to remove the condenser. The Haynes manual says it's removed through the front of the truck by removing the grille and some brackets. Also, I was wondering, why is it, that when a shop recovers your old, possibly contaminated refridgerant, would it be put back in the system when you re-charge it? Or do they use new refridgerant? Just wondering.
Well it depends if the refregerant is contaminated or not. If it is not then it is just fine to use back. If it is contaminated if would have to be recovered and then sent to a reclam center to remove the contamits.
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote