The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
Joe T

power steering noise

i just added power steering to my truck. i think i primed the gearbox fine, but my problem is when i turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, it makes a squeaking sound. doesn't sound right. also, this was a used gearbox and pump and the fluid is milky white (i put almost a quart of new fluid in after installed). should i flush the system? if so, how would i do this without burning out the gearbox?
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: power steering noise

The squeal is normal and is I believe,the fluid being forced at great pressure past the relief valve when there is no more movement in the steering.
I wouldn't worry too much about the fluid until after a couple weeks.Probably just a little air in it..
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Joe T

thanks. i havent driven it yet. hopefully it works out ok.
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

Also,if the belt isn't tight enough it will slip on the pulley and squeal when you turn all the way to the stops.
If you have a bunch of questionable fluid in there just siphon or suction it out or I guess you could loosen a hose and drain it that way.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
carpainter

I have a similar problem After about 4 years of pushing my truck around the shop while doing the body work, I finally finished it and started driving it. At first the power steering made a little bit of noise so I added fluid. Now it makes noise every time I turn the wheel. The type of noise power steering makes when you turn the wheel all the way to the limit. By the way, some of that pushing around the shop was with the engine out and the power steering not hooked up. Could there be air in the system and is there a way to bleed the air out?
PPG Certified Automotive Painter
1971 Chevy C10 Short Bed
350 Four Bolt Main / 350 Turbo
carpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
mclairmo

Noise at full lock is normal, milky white fluid is not.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
Sammy

Milky white fluid is water mixed inside. I just installed a rebuilt gear box myself after it quit going to the left. In the instructions it says to flush the system is to disconnect the return line hose and keep filling the pump till you flushed the system. in your case I would drain all the fluid refill it, bleed and repeat it till the fluid isn't milky. Additionally remove the pressure line, the fitting behind it, the valve with spring. Blow air thru the valve so the small screen is clean on the bottom of the valve. Any restrictions in this screen will hamper it's performance greatly. Noise at the stops is normal indicating your pump is working with adequate pressure.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
carpainter

How do you bleed the air from the system?
PPG Certified Automotive Painter
1971 Chevy C10 Short Bed
350 Four Bolt Main / 350 Turbo
carpainter is offline   Reply With Quote