The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Richard H.
Spanked once

Detectives, What do I have?

The guy I bought my 55 from for some summer fun isn't much help at telling me what front end this thing has. It is a 1 st series for starters and all I wanted to do was add AC to it from vintage air. But being me I can't seem to leave well enough alone. The p.o. did a lot of nice detail work to it but it seems he was totally lost at mechanical ability. Once I got the clogged two core radiator out of it to go with a new three core rad and electric fan I kept looking at the tired ole 305 that is in it.... So I bought a 350 crate for it.
This get's better , He told me it had a power glide in it , Well it?, wasn't cutting it so a board member came over "bad67-72" and let me hand him tools so he could put a fresh TH 350 that I had in it. Well to my surprise the trans we took out was a 350 with no 1st gear , just live and learn I guess. The first pic is the 305. Notice the proportion valve being used as a T fitting?
Ok for the real questions... He says the suspension is from a 68 mustang.. He also say's the engine came from a 78 Nova which has me wondering if that is also the front clip or could the guy who put it together in the first place 12 Years ago have just boxed in the rails on the 55 frame? From what the original guy did it looks like he did nice work.
I'm after getting the right motor mounts if you can help and want to know what kind of kit that is in the front. Thanks
Attached Images

Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
pgf545

Re: Detectives, What do I have?

I can't really tell from these pictures but I don't think they subframed it. Looks more like the original frame that has been boxed. The 72 nova frame had a crossmember under the motor like the camaro. Maybe you could post some pictures of the a-arms and spindles. I will post a picture of my 69 Camaro subframe..the Nova is the same as the Camaro. You can kinda of tell in the second picture the way the motor sits and you can also see the motor mount stand that come on the Camaro. Maybe you can use these to compare to your a-arm etc. Also the GM cars didn't use a rack and pinion in those years. Good luck.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Atomsplitter

I'd bet that's a Mustang power rack-&-pinion, I have one identicle in my 48' that I just got a new high pressure hose made.

It seems that we had the same idiot assemble both of our trucks.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Richard H.
Spanked once

Thanks for the responses ,the next pics show the rest of what I know. The frame rails are original and boxed , the motor mount supports are fabbed which I'm sure will cause me much grief trying to get new mounts with out having to go solid. If it is 68 suspension that is fine with me because it handles like a dream ,maybe a little to quick on the steering actually. While I have it this far I would like to new shocks and such. Thanks again,
Attached Images

Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Engine looks great, bout time you got something done........................well kinda its not in just yet.......
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
chevy3100

Looks like Mustang II front suspension. No idea on the engine mounts however....
chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
hotrodsbyray

it's a mustang II front suspension. Apprears to have used the original M-II front x-member like they did when those cars were still plentiful.
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
pgf545

For sure a ford setup. What might be causing the quick steering is the GM power steering pump combined with the ford rack and pinion. I have done a little research on that and the gm pump puts out more pressure causing the steering to be twitchy. I know Heidts has a valve that you can put in line to slow down the pressure and I bet there are others that make some sort of adjustable valve. Maybe someone with more experience will kick in with the correct answers for you.

Bernie
Old 05-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #9
pgf545

Oh I forgot to add...the mounts shouldn't be a problem. They are Chevy mounts...look at the Nova ones and they might bolt up ok. Unless you just want to clean up the frame side I wouldn't mess with it. This is the truck that i am building for my dad, the first one is of the mounts welded to the frame and the second one is of the motor sitting in the frame. You can kinda of see the rubber mounts on the side of the motor in that picture....but these are the only ones of the mounts that I could find...lol.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
prostreeter58

sweeeeet motor............I really wanted to go 572 but just couldn't justify the $$ for what I was building the truck for.........wow, that is going to be nice.............
prostreeter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Bob@ProAuto

Everyone has pretty much nailed it on the front suspension. It is a 74-78 Mustang II or a 74-80 Pinto/Bobcat.
If the power steering feels "twitchy", I've used the Borgeson power steering pump spring kit. Also make sure that there is enough caster set in the front suspension. Should be 3.5 to 4 degrees positive.
Bob@ProAuto is offline   Reply With Quote