The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #1
trippin

windshield leak????????

my 72 had a leak in between the windshield gasket and the windshield in the corner when it sits, and some on the pillar post when you drive in a heavy rain.

so i replaced the windshield and gasket and fixed the few rust spots on the pinch weld where they join together. the leaks are in the same spots under the same conditions. anybody have this happen? if so is there a fix? thanks Trip
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: windshield leak????????

Did you seal the upper corners of the windshield seal?

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

With the cowl cover off,check at the lower corners below the corners of the windshield.I`ve seen where the seams are not thoroughly sealed.Maybe it shrinks over the years.I expected to see rust somewhere and found none.Just sealed up the seams better.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
trippin

i did not use any sealer when i installed the gasket can i do it now? when it sits my truck is on a angle so all the rain water goes to the left corner of the gasket, i see it pool up outside the truck and then it weeps inside the gasket to the inside of the truck and down the weep hole on the inside of the truck.
trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
GMCPaul

Per GM's instructions for installing a windshield seal you should
"" after seal is fully installed apply weatherstrip cement under outside edge of seal"" To prevent any leaks.
Heres the complete instructions

""""Remove original windshield by cutting rubber on inside all the way around and push out and dispose ( far nicer than trying to pry it out with hole seal intact and it breaking and making a mess to clean )
After originals removed thoroughly clean flange inside and out where rubber seal rests and file off sharp edges to avoid tearing new rubber on install. Have new seal in a very warm area so is extremely pliable, lay new windshield face down on carpet or similar material and apply weatherstrip to glass, place a chalk line string ( available at Ace Hardware, Menards , Lowes, etc... ) in channel of weatherstrip where cab flange sits when installed leaving a small loop sticking out at the top center of rubber and other 2 ends of string sticking out bottom center, tape the top string loop and the ends of string at bottom in place to hold, then apply thin coating of vaseline to inside edge of weatherstrip that will be exposed on inside of cab when installed, coat cab flange opening with windshield chaulk and get assistance to lift windshield and place windshield in place from outside postioning upper angled corners in opening first then have someone inside cab begin pulling chalk string loop on one side of loop towards top corner while assistant outside cab applies light pressure to glass following progress of person in cab pulling the string, then work the opposite side top, then work string down either side, then pull center 2 ends towards outside bottom corners one side at a time. I find it works best when doing center bottom towards outer corner to grab end of string I worked from top down with one hand to prevent it from moving then I pull the end sticking out at bottom towards the corner, after seal is fully installed apply weatherstrip cement under outside edge of seal, then wipe down exposed area of seal inside and out to remove any vaseline or caulk on seal with acetone on a rag.
Slow and easy and a warm enviroment are the best when doing install.""""""""""
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The seams I`m refering to are body seams.I`ve found gaps/breaks in those areas on trucks that leaked with a good windshiels seal.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote