The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

big block driveline???

The truck is a 71 SWB stepside. Came with a I6 in it.. Im installing my big block shortly and i need a new driveline. Now, since im useing stock BB engine mounts, cant i just purchase a drivline for a BB chevy of that same year make with a TH400 transmission????

Thanks for the info.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: big block driveline???

In theory yes.
However, odds are slim that you'll locate a SWB with a big block. It'd be much quicker to call your local drive shaft shop, have them tell you how they want you to measure it (make sure your ride height/weight is about right) and have them make you one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #3

I would try for a one piece, too. It bypasses the hassle of the bearing going out.
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
chevy72blu

Measure from the hub coming out of the rear end to the tailshaft of your transmission and take that to your local reputable driveline shop. It shouldnt cost more than $150-$180 to have them make you a new one from scratch.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Longhorn Man

To add to that... make that measurement with the suspention loaded, and the yoke 1/2 way in, 1/2 way out of the tranny.
That is the driveshaft industry standard... but once in a while, you'll get some idiot that does it another way, so get the info fromt eh dude doin the work.
You could also take your measurements, and spend a day in the junk yard... but it'll probably need U joints and just isn't worth the work IMO.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
lyrikz
PITbut

Any tips for an air ride suspension.. Do i measure with it fully dropped or fully inflated?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
To add to that... make that measurement with the suspention loaded, and the yoke 1/2 way in, 1/2 way out of the tranny.
That is the driveshaft industry standard... but once in a while, you'll get some idiot that does it another way, so get the info fromt eh dude doin the work.
You could also take your measurements, and spend a day in the junk yard... but it'll probably need U joints and just isn't worth the work IMO.
Longhorn covered it better than I did.

As for bags, I have never used them. But, it would make most sense to measure at ride height.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

Talk to them. They may recomend a 2 piece shaft
Old 07-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Talk to them. They may recomend a 2 piece shaft
LM,
You mentioned slip yoke. My truck doesnt have a slip yoke. the rear mounted to the diff is ujoint solid, and the end on my th400 is solid. No slip yoke. Is that needed???
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

That tranny is set up for a 2 piece shaft. There is a slip in the center of the shaft.
You'll need to convert your trany to a slip yoke.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
LM,
You mentioned slip yoke. My truck doesnt have a slip yoke. the rear mounted to the diff is ujoint solid, and the end on my th400 is solid. No slip yoke. Is that needed???
The piece that goes into the tranny is called the slip yoke, it will slide in and out as the rear suspension moves. As far as air ride, if you have a serious drop, you may want to go with a 2 piece because it will minimize the pinion angle change. Here's a picture of my setup for my 69 Burb.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
The piece that goes into the tranny is called the slip yoke, it will slide in and out as the rear suspension moves. As far as air ride, if you have a serious drop, you may want to go with a 2 piece because it will minimize the pinion angle change. Here's a picture of my setup for my 69 Burb.
So that part that is on the end of the tranny slides in and out??? I grabbed the end of that and drug the transmission by it and it didnt come out......
Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Hart_Rod

Quote:
So that part that is on the end of the tranny slides in and out??? I grabbed the end of that and drug the transmission by it and it didnt come out......
It should come out, . Take a rubber hammer and tap on it.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
It should come out, . Take a rubber hammer and tap on it.
tranny was just completely rebuilt. Hmm, i will try it.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
70rs/ss

Nope, on the 400 the toke bolts to the tailshaft on some and a slip on the others. Get a DS from a newr model truck and have it cut down to fit your truck. You can take the bolt on yoke out and install a slip yoke (you'll need to do this if you want a one piece shaft) or stick with the bolt on and get a two piece shaft with the slip in the center of the shaft. I don't do air bags, but I'd guess a mesurement fully air up and air out would let the driveshaft shop figure out if a one or 2 piece shaft is needed as well as the length.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
So, if im measuring for the new driveline i want to measure from these two points?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Nope, on the 400 the toke bolts to the tailshaft on some and a slip on the others. Get a DS from a newr model truck and have it cut down to fit your truck. You can take the bolt on yoke out and install a slip yoke (you'll need to do this if you want a one piece shaft) or stick with the bolt on and get a two piece shaft with the slip in the center of the shaft. I don't do air bags, but I'd guess a mesurement fully air up and air out would let the driveshaft shop figure out if a one or 2 piece shaft is needed as well as the length.
sweet golden 4lb 8oz baby jessus, the plot thickens....
Old 07-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #18
70rs/ss

Yeah, sorry the th400 was used as a heavy truck trans, so it can be bolt on yoke or slip if it was a car trans or the like. Call a Driveshaft shop and tell them what you are doing, they will tell you where to measure from (I have been told 2 or 3 different places by different shops, so I think it is a matter of each guy's preference) The used shaft will help in that cutting one down is way cheaper than building one. The late model trucks have beefy driveshafts. Hope this helping and not confusing ya!?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Yeah, sorry the th400 was used as a heavy truck trans, so it can be bolt on yoke or slip if it was a car trans or the like. Call a Driveshaft shop and tell them what you are doing, they will tell you where to measure from (I have been told 2 or 3 different places by different shops, so I think it is a matter of each guy's preference) The used shaft will help in that cutting one down is way cheaper than building one. The late model trucks have beefy driveshafts. Hope this helping and not confusing ya!?
Well, i also have the setup off the donor truck. Thats a two piece driveline setup... It was a LWB truck, but im sure that wouldnt be hard having them cut that down.... I will call my driveline shop.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #20
70rs/ss

Yep, they can cut it down to fit if you want/need a 2-piece, but I was suggesting a late model one piece for the donor to be shortened into a 1-piece. The yoke thing is funky on the 400 as it came both ways, but usually as a bolt in on a truck cause the mostly came with a 2-piece when a 4oo was used (heavy duty, usually means longbed).
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #21
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Yep, they can cut it down to fit if you want/need a 2-piece, but I was suggesting a late model one piece for the donor to be shortened into a 1-piece. The yoke thing is funky on the 400 as it came both ways, but usually as a bolt in on a truck cause the mostly came with a 2-piece when a 4oo was used (heavy duty, usually means longbed).
So regardless if i go with 1 or two piece, i need some kind of slip yoke....
Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #22
70rs/ss

Yes, as the rear end moves up and down in suspension travel the DS has to get longer and shorter. If a one piece, the slip yoke will be in the trans, on a 2 piece there will be a slip shaft in between the two piece of DS. Make sense? Sorry if I am confusing ya, picts would be easier but I dont have any?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Yes, as the rear end moves up and down in suspension travel the DS has to get longer and shorter. If a one piece, the slip yoke will be in the trans, on a 2 piece there will be a slip shaft in between the two piece of DS. Make sense? Sorry if I am confusing ya, picts would be easier but I dont have any?
Completely understand... My 3 speed saginaw has the slip yoke on the tranny and the driveline just slides in. Then it bolts to the rear end.. Its ALLLMOOST long enough. ahaha....
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #24
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Completely understand... My 3 speed saginaw has the slip yoke on the tranny and the driveline just slides in. Then it bolts to the rear end.. Its ALLLMOOST long enough. ahaha....
Check this out.

http://www.iedls.com/twopiece.html

I think it even tells you how to measure them.....
Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #25
70rs/ss

That looks like the ticket. I am not into 2-piece shafts, but a good aftermarket one would be the ticket behind a BBC with bags.