The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
jdurant

Water in passenger floorboard--help.

I bought a 82 2wd Blazer a couple weeks ago. I've been driving it with the carpet that is underneath the ac box pulled back to try and pinpoint where the water is coming from. I haven't seen any drops or streams yet. I've finally got around to removing the kick panel and pulling the carpet way back. I Still can't see where the water is coming from though. Any hotspots that I should look for? I'm also trying to locate the ac box drain, where is it supposed to be? Is it a hose, or just a hole, or what?
Oh, and it isn't coolant.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Water in passenger floorboard--help.

well the easiest thing to do is watch it idle with the AC on and if that dont work have a buddy hose the outside of the truck down and see if you can get it to leak that way could be any number of things

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
pilotj

I had a similar problem on my 79 pu(water in passenger side floorboard). I thought is was my winshield leaking, so I replaced the gasket. Still leaked. Finally found out it was leaking where the firewall is joined with the cab. I happened to be be cleaning the cowl vent area with a water hose and noticed the water had leaked in from the cowl vent(fresh air intake). I pumped a tube of clear caulk into the body/cowl seam and it hasnt leaked since.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
hessian18
Gen III Power

I have also been trying to find a water leak on my 81 with A/C...

I first thought it was the windshield but ruled that out quickly....

It is collecting at the bottom of the plastic kick panel and then dripping into the cab.... I pulled the kick panel to find some single sided weatherstripping and it was shot..... The water is coming down from the upper cowl area and getting between the kick panel and cab...

Im going to remove what little rust has started and re-seal the kick panel seam and go all the way down the cab again.....

I was looking in LMC and the seal is quoted "air vent seal".. Im assuming this is rubber ? I found foam like weatherstripping...

Im wondering if the PO had tried to trouble shoot this exact problem....

Im going to order that seal and see if works.....

This could be your problem also.....or not...LOL

Good Luck I will keep posted on my problem also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotj View Post
I pumped a tube of clear caulk into the body/cowl seam and it hasnt leaked since.
Could you get a picture of where you sealed ??

Im wondering if this could be my problem ??

Thanks

Last edited by hessian18; 05-26-2008 at 03:39 AM.
hessian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #5
pilotj

Hessian, I'll try to snap a picture tommorrow. On my '79, you lift the hood and up where the the wiper shafts protrude, there is a black plastic eggcrate looking vent cover (keeps leaves from getting into the fresh air vent). I removed the cover and the seam is directly below the cover opening. I think on your '81, you would have to remove your wiper arms and unbolt the slotted panel that goes over your wiper shafts to get to the seam. If you look down through those slots with a flashlight, you'll see the body seam I'm talking about. It actually channels water out to the sides of the truck by the fender, but mine started leaking onto the cab.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
us111

Hello,dont have the answer and can not
remember but i have seen this problem
on here before,,maybe try search on forum?
good luck

may be some help.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=water+floor

Last edited by us111; 05-26-2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: more info ?
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote